PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Recreating a disgusting pathfinder alchemist in 5e

Concrete
2019-06-06, 09:09 AM
Lately,my group wants to switch over from Pathfinder to 5e, while keeping our current characters. For the paladin, this isn't much trouble, and the witch figures she'll manage with a warlock.

But I'm playing an beastmorph/vivisectionist alchemist, focusing on layering disgusting but useful buff spells on people, keeping them up to health, and using his mutagen and said buff spells to turn himself into a shapeless blob of murder.

The problems that arise is that there isn't really a good "hulking out" magical class in 5e, to my knowledge, and you can't really buff people in the same ways.

But I'd like to keep the transformation aspect of it, and preferably, being generally gnarly, disgusting, helpful and pustulent.

For now, we're thinking of a circle of the moon druid, and re-flavoring the wild shape as being generally monstrous and deformed, but keeping the abilities (other than the ability to pass for an animal, and maybe not being able to turn into really small creatures), and changing the spell descriptions around a bit (ex: good berries working like normal, but looking like twitching, pulsating little balls of meat)

Does anyone have any helpful suggestion? Some class in some obscure book I might've missed?

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-06, 10:13 AM
Lately,my group wants to switch over from Pathfinder to 5e, while keeping our current characters. For the paladin, this isn't much trouble, and the witch figures she'll manage with a warlock.

But I'm playing an beastmorph/vivisectionist alchemist, focusing on layering disgusting but useful buff spells on people, keeping them up to health, and using his mutagen and said buff spells to turn himself into a shapeless blob of murder.

The problems that arise is that there isn't really a good "hulking out" magical class in 5e, to my knowledge, and you can't really buff people in the same ways.

But I'd like to keep the transformation aspect of it, and preferably, being generally gnarly, disgusting, helpful and pustulent.

For now, we're thinking of a circle of the moon druid, and re-flavoring the wild shape as being generally monstrous and deformed, but keeping the abilities (other than the ability to pass for an animal, and maybe not being able to turn into really small creatures), and changing the spell descriptions around a bit (ex: good berries working like normal, but looking like twitching, pulsating little balls of meat)

Does anyone have any helpful suggestion? Some class in some obscure book I might've missed?

I suppose you could go with the Spore Druid, in the Ravnica Book. It'll require some buffs, as it's really bad, but it's pretty close to what you're looking for. it uses Wild Shape to transform it into a fungal shape as it controls clouds of toxic fungi, creates zombies, and is a decent close range combatant.

stoutstien
2019-06-06, 10:18 AM
I suppose you could go with the Spore Druid, in the Ravnica Book. It'll require some buffs, as it's really bad, but it's pretty close to what you're looking for.

This or if homebrewing is allowed

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VinjQ8V5ZcV7tSvxNfO63Pg0oMDsp20F/view

It's well done and balanced. The alchemist has the bombs, minor healing, and a form of mutating via self buffs.

Dork_Forge
2019-06-07, 06:15 AM
This or if homebrewing is allowed

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VinjQ8V5ZcV7tSvxNfO63Pg0oMDsp20F/view

It's well done and balanced. The alchemist has the bombs, minor healing, and a form of mutating via self buffs.

That's an interesting take on the Artificer that seems pretty balanced, I'd miss the infusions of the UA but the Gadgeteer and the magic Iron Man look so damn fun to play.