PDA

View Full Version : I want to play a satyr, but it's not a playable race in 5e (yet)...

samcifer
2019-06-06, 10:20 AM
How would you work a satyr on stat bonuses, abilities, etc. if you let players play as one in a 5e game? I think a satyr bard would be awesome.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-06, 10:23 AM
How would you work a satyr on stat bonuses, abilities, etc. if you let players play as one in a 5e game? I think a satyr bard would be awesome.

I mean, I'd just use one of the Tiefling Variants. They're basically already a Satyr, and you have a lot of options to replace their features with. The variants are in the SCAG book.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-06-06, 10:24 AM

Satyr Bard sounds hilariously awesome! Probably the easiest way is to just re-skin a wood elf, and ensure that you took the sleep spell. I'd think the spell/magic resistance would be much too OP, and would need to be jettisoned.

solidork
2019-06-06, 10:32 AM
There are several attempts by members of these boards:

Mine: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519908-PC-Race-Satyr

Ninja Prawn: https://mfov.magehandpress.com/2016/11/satyr.html

tieren
2019-06-06, 10:38 AM
Half;ing warlock with the disguise self at will invocation, and later the alterself invocation to literally have whatever body features you want (goat legs, horns, etc...

Your Patron could be the Arch fey Hyrsam, the Prince of Fools, one of the books indicates he may have been the first satyr. As you serve him you become more and more like a satyr. That could be your goal, to one day BE a satyr.

Theodoxus
2019-06-06, 11:42 AM
Fastest legal way? Changeling who just never breaks character.

Otherwise yeah, I'd refluff a tiefling.

No brains
2019-06-06, 11:50 AM
The best part of playing a Tiefling is that your DM doesn't even need to allow you to be a satyr. You/ everyone else can be delusional. Be a stock tiefling and just tell everyone you are a satyr. If you play a bard and get expertise in persuasion, you can bend the truth pretty hard.

Spectrulus
2019-06-06, 04:35 PM
I'm a fan of this one
https://www.dndbeyond.com/races/8140-satyr
Also feel free to play a centaur fluffed as satyr, it works out well too.

The Library DM
2019-06-06, 05:14 PM
Just use the info from the MM entry. Give ability stat boosts to Dexterity and Charisma (and maybe Intelligence).
Use the same skills and special abilities shown in the MM as a base.Ignore the HD— the PC will have the HP of his or her chosen class.

From there, the character simply pursues the class of bard, choosing appropriate skills, etc., and receives the bard’s HP and other abilities.
For background, the character would probably be an Outsider.

As to how the character has become connected with an adventuring group and whatever society the PCs are currently in is a matter for the DM.

Really, the satyr isn’t really a balance breaker as a PC; the satyr powers aren’t anything superior to most common PC races or classes, and if there is an advantage, by level 3 it’s pretty much been superseded by the class powers.

As a DM, I’d want to know a rationale for why the satyr is choosing to operate outside of the Feywild and the realm of the Summer Court— and I’d be planning some...”interesting”... responses when the PC encounters fellow fey creatures from either Court. Oh, yes, I’d definitely be planning for that.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-06, 05:17 PM
Just use the info from the MM entry. Give ability stat boosts to Dexterity and Charisma (and maybe Intelligence).
Use the same skills and special abilities shown in the MM as a base.Ignore the HD— the PC will have the HP of his or her chosen class.

From there, the character simply pursues the class of bard, choosing appropriate skills, etc., and receives the bard’s HP and other abilities.
For background, the character would probably be an Outsider.

As to how the character has become connected with an adventuring group and whatever society the PCs are currently in is a matter for the DM.

Really, the satyr isn’t really a balance breaker as a PC; the satyr powers aren’t anything superior to most common PC races or classes, and if there is an advantage, by level 3 it’s pretty much been superseded by the class powers.

I do want to point out that the Satyr has resistance to magic, which is the equivalent of a unique level 7 Ancients Paladin feature.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-06-06, 05:43 PM
You could try this, but it's kinda complicated for my tastes.

https://www.scribd.com/document/284367292/5e-Unusual-Races-Point-Build-103

Fable Wright
2019-06-07, 12:12 AM
The Odyssey of the Dragonlords Player's Guide (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/267073/Odyssey-of-the-Dragonlords-Players-Guide) has a Satyr variant that most GMs would likely allow, being far below the power level and complexity of some of the other variants.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-06-07, 09:56 AM
I do want to point out that the Satyr has resistance to magic, which is the equivalent of a unique level 7 Ancients Paladin feature.

No, actually it's even better. It's spells and other magical effects.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-07, 10:10 AM
No, actually it's even better. It's spells and other magical effects.

If people were dead-set on including something like that, I'd just make a Gnome with Tiefling stats and appearance.

samcifer
2019-06-07, 10:22 AM
If people were dead-set on including something like that, I'd just make a Gnome with Tiefling stats and appearance.

I'm looking over making a cosmetic change to an existing class and Half-Elf seems the closest as far as abilities go, especially if I go with the vanilla version.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-07, 10:25 AM
I'm looking over making a cosmetic change to an existing class and Half-Elf seems the closest as far as abilities go, especially if I go with the vanilla version.

Half-Elf is pretty darn close, I meant just working off of Gnome if someone wanted something akin to the magic resistance.

Gnomes have advantage on mental saving throws from magical effects, which is pretty close to imitating magic resistance.

Teaguethebean
2019-06-07, 09:35 PM
Why not just go tiefling but replace infernal resistance with fey ancestry and make Infernal legacy give you sleep and calm emotions intsead of hellish rebuke and darkness

Ninjadeadbeard
2019-06-08, 01:58 AM
Wood Elf is basically a Satyr. If you want to change anything, I'd allow a Charisma boost in place of Wisdom or Dexterity.

Kane0
2019-06-08, 04:43 AM
This guy did a video about em recently too:
https://youtu.be/DpKO10Jwkc4