PDA

View Full Version : Strength Based Character

JMAP94
2019-06-06, 01:40 PM
Hey

So I’m playing a Strength Based Bushi Warlord (from Path of War) for the next campaign. I really want the flavor of being this brave/arrogant samurai with a katana. Everyone in my group always dumps str and Max’s dex and i wanted to try something different. I wanted to know if there are some specific feats or equipment I should take so I’m effective in combat and I don’t die from all that lack of Vitamin AC.

Maat Mons
2019-06-06, 02:05 PM
That's odd. I typically dump Dex and max Str.

If you have heavy armor proficiency, you don't need much Dex to get your AC to be just as good as the Dex-focused guys. You don't need to spend a feat to be able to use Str to hit. And adding Dex to damage is even harder.

I've long regarded Dex as an inferior stat forced on some classes by their restrictions on armor.

Elricaltovilla
2019-06-06, 02:25 PM
Dipping two levels of Brutal Slayer (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/classes/stalker/stalker-archetypes/brutal-slayer/) stalker will get you 1/2 STR to AC, and a profane bonus to STR in place of the normal deadly strikes bonus dice.

JMAP94
2019-06-06, 05:20 PM
Dipping two levels of Brutal Slayer (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/classes/stalker/stalker-archetypes/brutal-slayer/) stalker will get you 1/2 STR to AC, and a profane bonus to STR in place of the normal deadly strikes bonus dice.

Huh. A strength based stalker class? how did I miss that! If I decide to go straight dps over party buffs, I might just go straight stalker bushi, but I kind of like the idea of this brash, high charisma samurai.

Maat Mons
2019-06-06, 05:37 PM
Looking at the Warlord class, I see you don't innately gain proficiency with heavy armor. You can, however, use the bonus feat the class gives at 1st level for Heavy Armor Proficiency. The Vanguard archetype gives proficiency with heavy armor, but the archetype trades your 1st-level bonus feat for something you probably don't care about, so I wouldn't go that route unless you're interested in the other features of the archetype.

Good point on switching attributes. Another option is one level of Oracle. The Lore, Lunar, and Nature mysteries all have revelations that give you Cha to AC instead of Dex. Alternately, you could do one level of Inquisitor with the Ravener Hunter archetype.

Using both those options, you could potentially jump from 15 AC (breastplate and 8 Dex) to 22 AC (mithril full plate and 16 Cha). Obviously, neither of those figures factors in any magical improvements to your AC.

Kyutaru
2019-06-08, 07:15 PM
The best path to survival is preventing enemies from having it. Or the best defense is a great offense.

Stacking strength means more damage so stacking attacks means less damage taken. Dumping Dex means no Combat Reflexes but you can take Defensive Sweep to get free AoOs on enemies that start adjacent to you and don't move away. You're better when it comes to grappling and can take trip feats or improve your grapples to wrestle strong enemies who might be more dangerous swinging around weapons. I'd have said get a reach weapon but you settled on katana.

JMAP94
2019-06-09, 07:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I'm taking Matt Mons suggestion, and I am dipping a level into oracle. Its my understanding that this series of one shots is probably going to be more RP focused.

We've got a kitsune Cavalier who uses firearms, a triton Pearl Seeker/Kraken Slayer Paladin, and two rogues (I've told them to do unchained rogue because the standard rogue was known as underpowered, but no one ever listens to me, and they're gonna end up playing standard). It's strange but 4/5 people in our party are going to have high charisma.

So instead of anything sensible, thanks to Matt Mons, I'm gonna do something fun that i know is not optimized. I'm going to take the Extra Revelation Feat, take the Primal Companion so that my samurai warlord can have a pet tiger. At level 5, im gonna take Boon Companion.

Edit: just realized that the Big Cat doesn't get its advancement until level 7. Damn.