PDA

View Full Version : Fairytale Anime; Natsu

Garfunion
2019-06-06, 05:03 PM
I’m trying to create Natsu from the anime Fairytale. My original thought was he was a dragon sorcerer. But the more I watch the show the more I feel like he’s a barbarian with fire type abilities. I currently have an archetype in the homebrew forums waiting for review. But for those who have seen the show, how would you legally(AL) make him?

The closest I have come up with is a Dragonborn Storm(desert) Barbarian with the tavern brawler feat.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-06, 05:07 PM
I’m trying to create Natsu from the anime Fairytale. My original thought was he was a dragon sorcerer. But the more I watch the show the more I feel like he’s a barbarian with fire type abilities. I currently have an archetype in the homebrew forums waiting for review. But for those who have seen the show, how would you legally(AL) make him?

Barbarian > Storm Herald > Fire.

There's not really much else that'd fit.

Most other solutions either:

Focus on casting
Don't use fire

A few "kinda" options:

Draconic Sorcerer with Tough, focusing on things like Greenflame Blade and other fire spells. Combine this with the Fiend Warlock with the Blade Pact.

Problem: Focuses heavily on casting and weapons.

Sun Soul Monk, as it deals with a lot of martial arts and eventually deals fire damage.

Problem: Focuses mostly on ranged holy damage.

Garfunion
2019-06-06, 05:57 PM
Barbarian > Storm Herald > Fire.

There's not really much else that'd fit.

Most other solutions either:

Focus on casting
Don't use fire

A few "kinda" options:

Draconic Sorcerer with Tough, focusing on things like Greenflame Blade and other fire spells. Combine this with the Fiend Warlock with the Blade Pact.

Problem: Focuses heavily on casting and weapons.

Sun Soul Monk, as it deals with a lot of martial arts and eventually deals fire damage.

Problem: Focuses mostly on ranged holy damage.

Thanks for the help. Maybe I can give a draconic sorcerer some brass knuckles.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-06, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the help. Maybe I can give a draconic sorcerer some brass knuckles.

One I forgot to consider is the Four Elements Monk, but you could just make that a One Element Monk.

MeimuHakurei
2019-06-07, 03:16 AM
One I forgot to consider is the Four Elements Monk, but you could just make that a One Element Monk.

Natsu does also use Lightning later in the series - although generally only in conjunction with Fire and not really by itself.

Drejzer
2019-06-08, 12:01 PM
Natsu does also use Lightning later in the series - although generally only in conjunction with Fire and not really by itself.

I believe that he also used
Light with Fire and Even More OP Fire with his Fire.
Though that was after eating up someone's else power.
Haven't read the manga in a while...

But yeah, he mostly uses fire with punches, kicks, and as a breath weapon...

Kinda off-topic but if this Natsu build is just a thought exercise:
In 3.5, Id' say he is an Unarmed Swordsage focused on Desert Wind and Tiger Claw manoeuvres, Barbarian and maybe also Dragonfire Adept (for the breath weapon)...
Something like Human Unarmed Swordsage 18/Barbarian1/Dragonfire Adept 1? (not necessarily in that order)

Or using Gestalt, for more accurate power level...

Well, 3.5 does have a ton of splatbooks, so finding something somewhere isn't really a surprising thing...

Trustypeaches
2019-06-08, 12:12 PM
You could just play a Barbarian and reflavor his weapon attacks as fire blasts.

Digimike
2019-06-08, 12:28 PM
TBH I think RAW Natsu is impossible to make. But here's how I'd try.

Draconic sorc would be how I'd start.

Human Tavern brawler feat. At level 1.

Then talk to your dm about a homebrew bonus action cantrip that wreaths the casters hands in fire. Adds d6 fire damage to unarmed mele attacks with the usual cantrip damage progression. It would be concentration.

Then talk to your DM about a boon where you gave up casting non fire element damage spells, but you could "eat fire to regain spell points". Perhaps double damage dice vs dragons as well.

To really make it Natsu ask your DM about a homebrew metamagic that would allow your fire spells to bypass resistance and immunity.

A couple Barb levels and the toughness feat would make sense as well. Natsu isn't sorc level squishey.

noob
2019-06-08, 01:06 PM
natsu stat block can be resumed to one thing
"protagonist: natsu is utterly immortal and completely impossible to defeat for real: each time natsu should get defeated natsu instead becomes twice as much powerful definitively. if natsu is fighting another protagonist then the rules change and it becomes either the most popular one or the most powerful in fairy tail that wins"
It is boring and not a 5e stat block at all in fact any fight involving natsu and a non protagonist(such as an antagonist) is deeply boring because the outcome is impossible to not know: it is as certain as death that any fight involving natsu will result in natsu becoming stronger and either defeating outright the opponent or getting closer to such thing.

Arcangel4774
2019-06-08, 01:58 PM
Its important to decide which traits and abilites are most important to you. Personally id say draconic sorc (probably to 6) followed by some martial class. My vote is towards ek fighter or sun soul monk.

Bohandas
2019-06-08, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure what he would be in 5e, but in 3.5e he would be some mix of Dragonfire Adept (from Dragon Magic) and Swordsage (from Tome of Battle)