PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to avoid being banished beyond will saves? (Extraplanar type)

Malphegor
2019-06-07, 04:31 AM
Been thinking of playing a Neraph (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2)one day because bullywugs are silly and I prefer the interdimensional slaadspawn's ability to 'objects in the rear view mirror may be closer than they appear' while charging.

But extraplanar. That type means that I could be banished to Limbo or worse, some other plane by accident! This frogman ain't going to a hell, his complexion is far too waxy and moist to deal with that dry, heat!

So, in order to avoid such heinous fates as dry skin, I've found myself trying to figure out how to avoid being banished. Luckily, the save is a will save, but I'm wondering if there's any way, perhaps armour or items to shield against spellcasters who aren't fond of happy-go-lucky twoflower-esque tourist frog bard-knights.

Luckily, my will's going to be high as it's a bard/marshal/mythic exemplar character, but beyond pumping that will as high as I can can't think of a lot of ways to really... um... avoid being effectively, and suddenly dead as a character for significant periods of time, until he figures out how to return again.

Everybody rolls low eventually.

RoboEmperor
2019-06-07, 05:23 AM
Dimensional Anchor yourself.

Or get planeshift so it's not a save-or-end-adventure but save-or-party-waits-a-day-for-you-to-get-back-to-them.

Or get a party member with planar binding and call you back.

DeTess
2019-06-07, 05:31 AM
One way to solve your issue would be to somehow pick up the native subtype so the material plane is your home-plane. I don't know of a way to get that one off the top of my head, but there's probably an obscure feat or template or something somewhere.

OgresAreCute
2019-06-07, 05:59 AM
If you were born on the material plane, you wouldn't be extraplanar there. Ask your DM if you can incorporate that into your backstory.

Telonius
2019-06-07, 06:25 AM
Naturalized Denizen, a Spelltouched (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm) feat from Unearthed Arcana, will get you exactly what you need. You lose the Extraplanar subtype and are never treated as Extraplanar. So if you do go roaming throughout the planes, the locals will never be able to Banish you.

Malphegor
2019-06-07, 09:15 AM
Naturalized Denizen, a Spelltouched (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm) feat from Unearthed Arcana, will get you exactly what you need. You lose the Extraplanar subtype and are never treated as Extraplanar. So if you do go roaming throughout the planes, the locals will never be able to Banish you.

That might be the best option, now I look at it. Avoids me being dependant on our wizard who may or may not laserface me with magics.

(that said it is extremely good to imagine this extraplanar being paying someone to bind them to their plane for a period. Like a temporary work visa whilst staying in a foreign country.)