PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question Regarding Hexblade/Pact of the Blade

GigaGuess
2019-06-07, 09:11 AM
So...put bluntly, how do I work it (if at all) with a Glaive? I'm assuming Hexblade weapon and Pact Weapon are potentially different entities, as they both seem to have different rules for how they work.

Wildarm
2019-06-07, 09:14 AM
3rd level hexblade + pact of blade can use a 2H weapon with CHA

nickl_2000
2019-06-07, 09:17 AM
You absolutely can.

A pact weapon can can use Cha for your to hit and damage mods per the first paragraph on page 56 of X's

The only restriction on a pact weapon is that it must be melee. So, it can be a Glaive and because of the last paragrahp on 107 you are proficient with it.

GigaGuess
2019-06-07, 09:19 AM
Sweet, thanks. I wasn't sure if Pact of the Blade OVERWROTE Hexblade's "Lacking the two-handed trait" or just was a different bugaboo altogether.

Wanted to make sure I had my ducks in a row before having my Glaivelock just fabricate a Pact Glaive on my DM.

nickl_2000
2019-06-07, 09:20 AM
Sweet, thanks. I wasn't sure if Pact of the Blade OVERWROTE Hexblade's "Lacking the two-handed trait" or just was a different bugaboo altogether.

Wanted to make sure I had my ducks in a row before having my Glaivelock just fabricate a Pact Glaive on my DM.

It does, you are good :smallbiggrin:

GigaGuess
2019-06-07, 09:26 AM
*I* am good. My poor DM on the other hand... :p

Vogie
2019-06-07, 09:43 AM

It's both/and.

They wrote it in that way so you could:

Only use one handed weapons with it at level 1
Have it apply to all weapons conjured with Pact of the Blade
Have it apply to all weapons conjured with Improved Pact of the Blade (Heavy & Light crossbows, Short & Longbows)
Dual wield by touching a one-handed light weapon at the end of your long rest, then create a second one-handed light weapon with Bladepact
Swash and buckle by touching a hand crossbow at the end of your long rest, then create a one-handed light weapon with Bladepact

However, you can't conjure Nets, Blowguns, slings or Hand crossbows with the feature... so it isn't perfect. Unless, of course, you find a magic one and ritualize it...

Keravath
2019-06-07, 09:43 AM
The hexwarrior feature specifically says that it applies to your pact weapon if you are a pact of the blade.

"If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon’s type."

Two handed or ranged (if using the Improved Pact Weapon invocation) can all work with charisma as long as it is your pact weapon.

This is in addition to the weapon bound by the hexwarrior feature so a blade pact warlock could choose to dual wield two weapons both attacking with charisma.

GigaGuess
2019-06-07, 11:01 AM
Yeah, it wasn't until I started to delve into this that I realized the versatility of the two facets together...

All the same, I look forward to creating this nightmare for my poor DM. :p