PDA

View Full Version : Dan's Solo Knight Game [IC]

JNAProductions
2019-06-07, 01:56 PM
The day dawns fresh. The sun is shining, a few puffy clouds roll across the sky, and everything is peaceful.

Your home is a comfortable place. It's a place you'd love to stay. But it's a place you must venture forth from, to prove your worth, to be the knight that is deserving of your family lineage.

What will you do?

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?589714-Dan-s-Solo-Knight-Game-OOC&p=23959659#post23959659)

dantiesilva
2019-06-07, 10:19 PM
As the new day dawned Wymar said made his way out of his family farmhouse and to the place he had told Thomas, his squire, to meet him that morning. The night before he had already said his goodbyes to his family, and while his brother Rolf understood in a way why he was leaving he agreed with their father that Wymar should stay and help with the farm. It had caused an argument that night and was the main reason why Wymar had woken up so early, and without donning his armor, had may his way to the meeting place he had arranged with young Thomas.

"Good morning Thomas." Sir Wymar said with a kind smile as his young squire came into view just outside the village on a small hill that overlooked the small village the two had known as home their whole lives. Taking the scarf out his sister had made him he held it in his hands as he looked out over the village one last time, before securing it away inside his tunic." Now are you sure your ready for this Thomas, I promised to teach you what it means to be a knight, but that means we will not be home no doubt for a few months at best. You can still turn back." He offers one last time to the young man, doubting he would do so, but non the less offering him that option making it clear this journey was a personal choice and not one Wymar could make for the boy.

Once everything was settled Wymar asked Thomas to help him into his armor before they checked their bags one last time to make sure they would have everything they would need for the journey to the next village over. Wymar was hoping his sister Juliana had stopped by the town or someone had heard of her so he could find her trail. After all it had been an entire season without so much as a message from her which was uncommon, however that would not stop the young knight from helping anyone he came across along in his quest to find his sister.

As the two walked side by side, Wymar would occasionally ask Thomas questions that while may have seemed odd to most, were question his own sister asked him when she was training him to become a knight. "Thomas what do you believe is more important to follow orders or to do what is right, even if others may think you are betraying what you have sworn to do?" he asked on one such occasion as the two traveled down the road.

JNAProductions
2019-06-08, 11:57 AM
"I've said goodbye, sir," Thomas replies to the first question. "I've... Well, I won't say I'm free of doubt, but I've put the most of it behind me. I'm ready."

As the two of you walk along the gentle road, Thomas answers as best he can. When you ask whether he would follow orders or do what is right, he pauses in speech. "I... That's a tough one, sir. I mean, the obvious answer is to do what's right, but what if 'betraying' your orders makes it harder to do right in the future? If you're seen as a criminal or a traitor or something, others might not trust you. It'd kind of have to depend on the situation-let's say, for instance, I'm sworn to the king of a land, and I'm supposed to collect taxes, even from the poor who can't really afford it. If I run into a starving family who needs their money to survive... I can't let them die, but at the same time, I can't really enact change if the king wants me exiled or dead, now can I? I guess... Gosh, I probably should've thought of a situation I actually had an answer for!" he says. "Apologies for the long answer, sir, and that it wasn't really an answer, actually."

dantiesilva
2019-06-08, 09:13 PM
A small smile of understanding cross Wymar's lips at his squires words. "I understand all to well what you mean Thomas, I am sure when we return be it together or separate we will look at our small little village so much differently then we do now." the young knight says the anticipation and fear of leaving mixing together in his chest, however he knew in his heart others needed his help in the world, and his family needed the money. He could take care of both problems if he continued along the path he had chosen, and in time perhaps his father and brother would come to appreciate what he was trying to do.

An amused smirk crosses Wymar's face as Thomas answers similarly to he himself did years ago when his own sister asked. "I backed myself into a corner when I was first asked this question as well Squire Thomas Godfrey. And I will tell you the same thing my sister told me. A kind and just king would not expect the same from the poor farmer that they would from the rich merchant. And while the law of the land may be against you for protecting the people they will always stand behind you if you champion them. At the end of time when you go before your god you cannot say another made you do it because duty demanded it for your soul is your own as is the punishment or reward at the end of this life. If you feel the lord you serve is kind and just pay the taxes for the person who cannot pay it themselves and bring attention to the situation after." Sir Wymar explains patiently.

"This will show if the person you serve is worthy of your honor and loyalty. As a kind and just ruler will listen to your words and the pains of his people and find a way to fix them, while a cruel ruler will get mad at you for helping or blame the poor for their condition saying they should work harder. And a tyrant is not worthy of a knights loyalty or service." Wymar finishes, not doubting for a second Thomas would have questions and patiently waiting as they traveled for them to come.

As the sun began its decent for the day marking that soon night would fall Wymar began looking around for a good place to set up camp for the night before it became dark and they would not be able to collect any firewood or set up a camp. After all it was better to stop early and prepare for the night ahead then it was to force yourself onward and get caught without shelter.

I am thinking they will stop an hour and a half before the sun will set to prepare a camp and such, looking for a place close to water if possible

Survival [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

JNAProductions
2019-06-08, 09:22 PM
Thomas is quiet for a time after your response. Once the silence breaks, he says "That's all well and good for if the king is good or the king is evil, but what if it's not so clear cut? Say there's a desperate need elsewhere for what the people here have to provide-the king realizes not his mistake in being too harsh. Or... Well, it seems you're putting the situation to its extreme, and real life... It's not like that. Usually not, at least."

He smiles at you, though, adding "I guess that's part of why you wanted me to come, isn't it? So I could learn?"

As night begins to come, you search for a good resting spot. Thomas helps, but lacks the outdoor and traveling experience you do. However, you're able to find a clear stream, perfect for refilling waterskins and resting for the night. You set up camp, with Thomas taking most of the work (at his request) as clouds roll in, ushering darkness a bit sooner than merely a setting sun would provide.

You are, though, able to get tents set up before it's more than drizzling.

I'm assuming the Perception was to find a campsite? In the future, just Survival will do.

But I WOULD like a Perception check for the nightly watch-with disadvantage if you're not awake for it.

You can choose to use Passive instead, but if you do, you CANNOT roll.

dantiesilva
2019-06-08, 10:39 PM
"Extremes are just that extreme, and unlikely to happen. It is a question of morals and one each person must find an answer to on their own. I believe my answer is the correct answer, as dose my sister, but that doesn't mean you will come to the same answer when you become a knight. Let's look at something smaller, say we are walking as we are now and we find a broken down wagon heading in the opposite direction we are walking. We fix it and help the people we meet along the way, only to later on come across the dead body of a merchant who seems like he was stabbed by two attackers who carried weapons much like those we passed. Honor would dictate we avenge the poor merchant who was killed and his goods stolen. But if we left the merchants corpse to rot we could not inform their next of kin or give them a proper burial, but if we did those things the thief's would no doubt go free and never get caught. A knight must look at each situation and chose a course of action that they are willing to follow no mater what. There can be no doubt in your heart once you make a decision for if there is you will never give it your all." Wymar explains, not giving an answer on purpose as to what was the right course of action to take as it was something that he knew two people could come up with two different answers and both would be perfectly logical.

"The best way to know something is to experience it first hand, anyone can say they are a warrior or soldier, but only a knight can tell you the names of every noble they come across of importance in their kingdom and how to properly address them in each situation. It is one of the many lessons I will be teaching you Squire Thomas Godfrey." Wymar explains taking one of the two handaxes from his belt and tossing it to his squire. "This is yours, it is a tool that can build shelter as well as a weapon to protect you if there is ever a time I can not do so. Each morning at dawn we will have an hour of practice drills I will teach you before we set out on the road, I expect you to listen to what I tell you and to try and apply what you have learned for the day to our next session. If a time comes and I feel you are skilled enough to move onto another weapon I will buy you one. The first lesson, never draw your weapon unless you fully intend to use it, not even to threaten another."

As the two begin to search for a good place to set up camp for the night Wymar tries to point out the indetifers he looks for when searching for a campsite so that in time Thomas could do the same with ease. This was not a simple thing to teach however as often he would have to stop himself from continuing on at something obvious to him but to the untrained eye unnoticeable. It doesn't take long to find a small stream where he sets Thomas to work refilling the waterskins before bringing the boy with him to use the handaxe he had been given to collect firewood for the night, showing him to try and only collect the dead wood that had fallen from a tree already unless there was none to be found.

Next he showed his squire the steps to making a fire that would burn through the night this way unless a strong wind came no mater what time they should be left alone by most animals that night. Leaving the tents to be set up by Thomas, Wymar got out of his armor and set it aside in a nice neat pile with his shield at the top of the pile. "Thomas you will take first shift, to keep you busy I would like you to polish my armor and shield, as well as memorize the names of each piece of armor to my suit. This way if there is ever a problem with it you would be able to notice just by looking at it." Wymar explains to his squire going through the process of naming each piece of armor for the boy. "If you feel yourself falling asleep go jump in the stream or wake me. And if you hear something that seems strange or out of place do not be afraid to wake me either. We are not home in the village anymore, there are highway men and wild animals about, not to mention monsters of all kinds, if you let your guard down you may end up their meal."

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2019-06-09, 09:24 AM
[roll0]

8 Wisdom, but proficiency in Perception. Your squire is not the most observant, but he's got good eyes.

You fall asleep to the sound of rain beating on your tent.

In what seems like no time at all, you're awoken by a thoroughly drenched Thomas. "It's your shift, sir," he says with a yawn. "And we might have to move the tents too-the stream is flowing pretty high with the rain."

When you head out for your watch, a look at the stream reveals that it won't overflow its banks this night-the tents can stay where they are. Nothing too eventful happens during your watch, though the rain makes it a not-too-pleasant experience.

Morning comes without a break in the rain.

dantiesilva
2019-06-09, 10:14 PM
As dawn comes and the rain continues to fall from the sky, Wymar who is now as drenched in rain as Thomas was earlier the previous night wakes up his squire. "Time to wake up, we have two options open to us, look for better shelter close by or keep pressing forward. Either way it doesn't look like the rain is going to let up anytime soon, and it will be impossible to make a decent fire unless we find a cave or make it to a small village not on the map." Wymar explains as the rain continues to flow freely from the sky, small dink like sounds coming from where the rain hits his shield.

"Saying we are going to have to pack up anyways I say we move on, we are to close to the banks if this rain continues as it is to stay here another night, and there is no point wasting time packing up to simply unpack again without putting at least a little distance on the road. While we do so we should keep our eyes open for a small hill or something that may be able to provide shelter." he explains to Thomas before he sets about helping his squire pack away their camp.

Once done he takes out one of his dried meats and begins eating the rations he had as they walked, a constant vigilance for some sign of shelter as they traveled that would allow them to dry off and stay dry while they waited out the storm.

Basically going to pack up camp and look for better grounds in the direction they were heading. He is looking for either a building he could seek shelter in or a cave knowing that without either of those two things they wouldn't be able to start a fire and get warm meaning they could get sick.

Survival [roll0] to find shelter

JNAProductions
2019-06-10, 11:06 AM
"Yes sir-I agree. A little rain won't stop us!" Thomas replies.

As you travel the road, you try to look for good shelter, but the rain makes it hard to find anything.

A few hours pass without much happening. You and Thomas don't talk as much, trying to stay dry and warm. The stream meanders closer to the road, coming next to it, with the banks ready to burst. The winds pick up too-though with all your equipment secured in packs, you've no real risk of losing anything to it. However...

You hear, in the distance, a "Hold on! No, dammit, dammit, NO!" followed by the sound of a crash. Not long after, a horse bolts pass you two. Thomas looks at you, and then ahead. "It sounds like someone's in trouble-we should hurry, right sir?"

dantiesilva
2019-06-10, 11:13 AM
about to clock into work so only a quick post

Seeing the horse bolt past and the man yelling Wymar quickly jumps into action. "squire Thomas Godfrey go get the horse and bring it back I'll go ahead and see what the problem is." sir wymar says rushing ahead using his shield to deflect the rain away from his eyes so he could see.

"Hello, is anyone out there, i am sir Wymar Gilbert and im here to assist you." he calls out over the storm as he searches for the sound of the previous voice in the direction the horse came from.

JNAProductions
2019-06-10, 08:44 PM
Thomas nods and starts sprinting after the horse.

You rush on ahead, to see an overturned covered wagon being slowly dragged by the stream's current. You here two sets of crying-both children's voices-and a man trying to calm them down. "Here-we're here!" the man calls.

dantiesilva
2019-06-10, 09:25 PM
Seeing the overturned wagon slowly being swept away by the streams current Sir Wymar places his shield on his back as he rushes forward and looks for a handhold on the wagon. "Sir you quickly get your children to safety I will try and pull the cart out of the stream." Sir Wymar says pulling on where the horse should be with all of his might, trying to pull the carriage just a little out of the stream and to relative safety.

[roll0]

Seeing his strength would not be enough the knight quickly dropped his shield and weapon before taking out his handaxe and began cutting away at the wagon, trying to make a hole big enough for the children to escape from.

JNAProductions
2019-06-11, 06:46 PM
With herculean effort, you manage to drag the wagon up and out of the stream. Not for long-but for long enough. The man shoves his children out, and scrambles up after them just before your grip weakens and the wagon crashes back into the stream with a mighty splash.

The man and his children, who've stopped crying, mostly, breathe heavily. "Thank... Thank you, sir," the man says. He gets up from kneeling and looks over to his children. Seeing they're okay, he gives them a hug, tears now flowing from his face a little.

dantiesilva
2019-06-11, 09:54 PM
Planting his feet in the mud as best he could for footing Sir Wymar pulled with all his strength and for a moment it seemed like it would be enough, at least for a few moments he noted as he could already feel himself slipping because of the mud beneath his feet and the wet wood he was trying to hold onto making his hands slip slowly. Nodding to the man that he had it, Sir Wymar watched as what he could only assume to be the father of the two children rush into the wagon and get them to safety. As the man cleared the wagon he let go, knowing if he were to try and hold on any longer he himself would go down with the wagon and be in just as much danger as the two children had been moments before.

Ploping down in the mud to catch his breath looks up to the man and his children who have now stopped crying for the most part. "It was nothing sir. I, Sir Wymar Gilbert, and my squire Thomas Godfrey simply heard your cries for help and came as fast as we could. As we speak my squire, Thomas Godfey, is trying to capture and return your horse to you." the young knight explains in a proper tone, not yet knowing the man nor his children's names he offered his hands to each of them in turn. "And whom may I ask do I have the pleasure of meeting on this fine day?" he says trying to make the children laugh knowing that the weather was dreary and after what they had almost just suffered they no doubt needed something to distract them.

JNAProductions
2019-06-12, 01:02 PM
The kids don't seem to be in a laughing mood. But they look, wide-eyed, at you, with faint smiles.

The man replies, saying "Alfred. Alfred Worth. These are my children, Alice and Gregory." Alfred shakes your hand, and so do the two kids, after a nudge from their father. "You might've just saved our lives. I don't know if we could've gotten out on our own. Is there anything we can do to repay you?"

[roll0] Animal Handling, to see if he can calm the horse.

As Alfred talks, you hear Thomas call from the distance. "I got the horse, sir! She's a little antsy, but she's with me."

dantiesilva
2019-06-12, 01:26 PM
"Well meet Alfred, Alice, and Gregory Worth." Wymar says with a slight tilt of his head. "No thanks is needed Alred Worth, myself and my Squire, Thomas Godfrey were simply traveling the road on our way to the next town in search of my sister. A great knight like myself by the name of Lady Juliana Gilbert when we got caught in the rain ourselves. In truth we have been seeking shelter most of the morning, however it seems there are no caves or ruins anywhere along the road between the two towns to shield a weary traveler from the weather." Sir Wymar notes with a bit of surprise, he had always thought there would be some kind of shelter between two towns, even if it was just a small cave where people traveling could seek shelter. Never did he think one could get caught in the rain, a lesson learned at least. Perhaps one day he would start his own line of taverns and inns so that weary travelers could rest in their travels between towns.

"We are hear squire Thomas Godfrey. With a Alfred Worth, and young miss Alice Worth and sir Gregory Worth." Wymar calls out to his squire waving his hand in the air to give him a point of interests to follow. Turning back to the children's father he says, "And we seem to thankfully also saved your horse. I am sure this should speed your families travels along now." he says kindly in the dreary weather.

JNAProductions
2019-06-12, 01:33 PM
Thomas approaches from the road, horse in tow.

Alfred nods, and looks to the wagon. "Well... Material goods are just that. We have each other-and that's what matters."

"Dad..." Alice says, looking a little forlorn.

"I know, sweetie. We'll be able to rebuild-I promise," he says. "It won't be easy-but we're alive. That's what matters."

Arriving, Thomas brings the horse towards the family. "She's a little wet, and a little nervous, but she's perfectly fine," he says. "Will you three need any other assistance?"

Shaking his head at first, Alfred stops. "Well... Good sir Wymar, could I talk to you in private?" Assuming you don't object, he leads you a short distance away, enough to not be overheard through the rain. "My children and I... We left because necromancers are infiltrating our home village of Edinborough. I thought we'd be safe... But I found my wife looking at our children, like they were tools-or sacrifices. I looked through her chest of clothes when she was out, and found a book bound in leather with blood writing. I... I haven't told the children. But... I'm afraid. For us... For her... For my home..."

dantiesilva
2019-06-12, 07:20 PM
"If it will help ease you and your families pain I can spare a few gold." Sir Wymar states, taking out a small leather pouch from his belt and retrieving four gold pieces from it before sealing it once again and returning it to his belt. "It will not get you far for long, but it should at least get you enough food and a warm bed for you and the children for a few nights. If I may, I know a farm that is looking for a few farmhands, they will not be able to pay very well, however it is honest work and you will be treated with respect." Sir Wymar offers, thinking he could help this man and his family all at the same time. After all his brother and father wanted him to help work the farm, sending someone else in his place in return for room and food an extra farm hand no doubt would be welcome.

As Thomas asks if they would need anymore assistance the young knight watches as the man at first begins to say no, but then asks to speak in private. Curious as to what the man may have to say Wymar followed behind, his shield back in place where it belonged strapped to his back. Once they were close to fifteen feet away he listened as Alfred began to explain the families story and why they were out in such weather as they were. Of what happened in their village and why he had asked for them to speak in private.

village of Edinborough History check [roll0]
Survival for the direction and how long it should take to get to the town [roll1]
Insight to make sure he is telling the truth as far as the knight can tell with what information he knows [roll2]

"I see now why you, Alfred, and your children Alice and Gregory are out in such horrid weather instead of home safely tucked away. I'll tell you what, return to my home village and work as a farm hand for my brother and father as I offered earlier and I will go investigate your village for you. When myself and my squire Thomas have cleared the village out we will send word to you that all is safe. This way you and your family have a chance to try and recuperate what you have lost and I can make sure it is safe for you to return home, destroying any necromancers wishing to harm people I may come across."

JNAProductions
2019-06-12, 07:42 PM
History gets you diddle. You think you've heard of it or seen it on maps, but it must be pretty unremarkable.

Survival, though, combined with the knowledge of seeing it on a map (and the ability to ask for directions) gets you about a week's journey, if the weather clears up. Maybe two, if it doesn't.

He seems totally on the up-and-up. Forthright and honest.

"I... I can't take this!" Alfred says. "You've already saved my kids and me... I can't take your money too! No-keep it. You said it's your home village? How far is it?"

When you tell him it was just over a day away by foot, he shakes his head. "I can take the kids on horseback there before nightfall. It'll be hard work, but I'll keep them fed. And if the others are anything like yourself, I can't imagine they'll let any harm come to Alice and Gregory. Thank you-for everything," he says, and returns to the children.

Thomas is currently doing his best to entertain the kids, trying (and failing) at juggling. But the kids are laughing. "I... Erm... I can explain, sir!" he says.

dantiesilva
2019-06-12, 07:59 PM
"My father and brother are a lot more shall we say simple minded and believe everything can be solved with farming. They want to forget the old tales of our great family. When you arrive at the farm ask for Sir Roland Gilbert, hes my father, and let him know you came to the farm seeking help after I explained to you they were seeking a farm hand. No need to mention the rest to them. My sister, Lady Maynild Ida is married to the local tanner. I'm sure between the two of them one of them will be able to find work for you and your children." Wymar promises, sure that his father and brother would not turn down the help at the farm.

Walking back to the children Wymar reassures the man that it was no trouble at all as they come across the sight of Thomas juggling for the children trying his best to keep them entertained. "No need to explain Thomas, good job. Sir Alfred will be taking his family back to our home village to stay at the farm for some time while we go and find something for him. Once we do so we shall send word to him and young Alice and Gregory to return home." Wymar explains to his squire. Waving goodbye to the family as they depart on horseback he looks to his young squire, a smirk on his face. "You did a fine job wrangling the horse squire Thomas, as well as keeping the children occupied. I just hope you can keep your spirits up for the next two weeks if the weather doesn't break." he says making sure the man and his children were no longer in view or earshot as he spoke.

"It seems the man's village has been taken over by necromancer's and when he found his wife staring at the children like they would be sacrifices he began to get suspicious of her. Looking through her chest he found a leather bound book with blood writing within and like a sensible person took his children and fled for safety. While we are there we do not know of Alfred and his family nor did we meet anyone by their description on the road if asked. Not until we know who to trust in the village at least." Sir Wymar explains to his squire as they continue on their travels with a destination and rough setting now in mind.

Survival to stay on course and find shelter from the rain[roll0]
Perception to find cover/place to get warm and seek shelter [roll1]

JNAProductions
2019-06-12, 08:04 PM
You're able to stay the course without any particular trouble. But, with the rain only getting worse and no good shelter in sight, you'll almost certainly have to stop at Indos, the city that your village exports most of its food to. It's much closer than Edinborough.

dantiesilva
2019-06-12, 08:16 PM
After another hour of travel and still no shelter in sight Sir Wymar looks to his young squire calling him closer before talking over the rain says,"Looks like we will have to make a stop in Indos Thomas. If we keep pushing ourselves we will only get sick. With luck they will still have room at their inn." Wymar says as he changes his direction slightly to go towards the much closer city.

JNAProductions
2019-06-12, 09:10 PM
Thomas opens his mouth, probably to say something along the lines of "We can keep going!" but is cut off by a sudden sneeze. "Perhaps... Yes, that's probably for the best, sir. We should be there by tomorrow morning-or this night, if we press on."

Alright. Two main possibilities:

You rest the night, and move on to Indos in the morning. If you do this, it'll be a DC 10 Con save against sickness. Thomas has +1 to these. The exact details of the sickness have not been determined.

You push on to Indos. Exhaustion, no save, when you get there, but your save DC against sickness is made with advantage, since you'll be in a warm, dry spot.

dantiesilva
2019-06-12, 10:19 PM
"Come now Squire Thomas, it is better to be tired from a long days march then sick and wet. Let us make haste to Indos." Sir Wymar says pushing on through the rain, all the while mentioning all the delicious warm food they could eat as they sat by a nice warm fire to dry off to keep their spirits up.

By the time they arrived at the city gates the two were covered almost up to their knees in mud. Their clothes drenched from almost two days worth of rain, however this could not dampen their spirits for warmth and food were well within sight. "See Squire Thomas Godfrey, I told you we could make it here if we simply kept walking." Sir Wymar said, exhausted at the amount of work they had to do to make it here in the horrible weather, but happy they had finally made it here. Not wanting to waste anytime in them getting dry and some rest he quickly began to seek out an inn his sister had told him about on one of her trips to the city.

[roll0] [roll1]

JNAProductions
2019-06-13, 10:26 AM
Thomas smiles and nods, but is a little too tired to talk.

The sleepy-looking guard at the gate notices you when you're just about on top of him. "Huh-whu?" he says, then snaps to attention. "State your business, travelers!" he orders.

You explain your knightly status and desire for a warm bed, and the guard nods. "Normally I'm supposed to give a little spiel about not causing trouble, but a man like yourself shouldn't need that, right? Go in, get out of the rain, dry off."

After giving the proper thanks, you head in to the city and locate, as quickly as possible, the Constable's Tabernacle. Your sister had some dealings with the owner, Joseph Constable, and recommended it as a place with good food, good drink, and good company. You enter the inn, soaking wet, to a mostly empty room. An enormous man-possibly as much as seven feet tall-is behind the bar, leafing through a book. "Gods above, a visitor! Come in, you-you two actually! Come on, by the fire, there we go..." he says, bringing chairs by the fire. "Get warm, get dry. I'm Joseph-owner of this here inn. You look exhausted-let me get you some soup. It's not much, but it is warm."

He hurries back to the kitchen, and returns with two steaming bowls of soup. "Here-this should warm your bones."

[roll0]
[roll1]

dantiesilva
2019-06-13, 06:56 PM
"I am Sir Wymar Gilbert, and this is my squire Thomas Godfrey. We simply wish to seek shelter from the storm before passing on in our journey." Wymar explains respectfully to the guard who asks them to state their business. "No sir we will not need that I assure you." Wymar agrees looking to his squire who repeats as he had that they would not cause any trouble while they were staying in Indos. "Thank you sir, a thousand blessings." Wymar exclaims as they are allowed to pass to seek a nice warm bed and some shelter for the night, and he knew just the place thanks to his sister.

"At last a nice place to take off our boots and relax Squire Thomas Godfrey." Wymar exclaims as they navigate the city to the Constable's Tabernacle. Opening the door Wymar notes how empty the place seemed to be, an oddity given the weather outside in his eyes and how his Sister had described it. However as the giant of a man came into view behind the counter leafing through a book even Wymar, in all his armor had to look up. "Thank you master Joseph Constable, that would be much appreciated." Wymar admits as he accepts the chair near the fire as does his squire, before sitting however he extends his hand. "I am Sir Wymar Gilbert, younger brother of Lady Juliana Gilbert. She often spoke fondly of this establishment and so it was the first place I thought of when we arrived in Indos to stay." Wymar states before looking slightly towards Thomas, " And this here is Thomas Godfrey, my squire."

Once pleasantries were finished being properly exchanged Wymar took his seat by the fire, resting his shield and flail on the floor next to him as he waited for Joseph to return with the soup. As the two steaming bowls seemed to appear out of nowhere how quickly the man seemed to move on his feet Wymar eagerly took it, though making sure to eat properly as his sister had taught him as to not get any on his armor. Looking around the inn Wymar asked, his voice filled with curiosity. "My sister often spoke of this place when she returned from her travels, but in these tales customers were always here. Yet it seems as if there is not another soul here except young Thomas and myself along with you. I do not mean to pry but shouldn't a business such as yours be booming with this kind of weather?"

JNAProductions
2019-06-13, 07:42 PM
"There's been... Less travel, as of late. Now, part of it is just the late hour-I've got plenty of people asleep upstairs-but there's something afoot," Joseph replies. "People aren't as willing to travel at night. They want to stay inside with their doors locked-and I don't blame them. I feel it too."

Thomas eagerly gulps the soup down, spilling a little. "Apologies, sir, I-"

Joseph laughs-a warm laugh, from the belly. "No need to say sorry, young Thomas! People have spilled far worse than a little soup here."

Flushing, Thomas nods. "Well, besides that, I'd like to thank you too, sir-"

"And none of that 'sir' nonsense! I was a friend of your master's sister, so we might as well be friends too! It's Joseph," the big man says.

"Right. Erm, Joseph-thank you. We'll be sure to pay, but it's good to see someone who's first thought is to help out a pair of weary travelers, rather than greed," Thomas finishes.

Joseph nods. "It's no trouble. Let me know when you're ready to retire, and I'll get you keys to a room."

dantiesilva
2019-06-13, 10:32 PM
"Like something dark that should be left alone has woken up?" Wymar asks, trying to see if this man could perhaps be talking about the necromancers as well. Though it would be odd to think that something two weeks away would effect travel so far away it was not impossible. Then there was also the possibility that it could be something else entirely he was feeling. "Any rumors going about yet? My sister has been missing for a while now and this may have something to do with it. After all it would make sense she would have investigated something like what you are referring to Joseph." Wymar points out to the inn keeper after all if the man knew his sister he would know that she would go hunting down this evil and injustice if she knew about it.

Sir Wymar sits back and watches the affair between Joseph and his squire Thomas with a bit of amusement. "That would be a small part of my fault Joseph. I am teaching my young squire Thomas Godfrey here to call each person by their proper name and respectful titles included." Wymar explains to the innkeeper. Finishing the rest of his soup in relative quite contemplating what has transpired so far and what he has heard Wymar slowly rises from his seat by the fire at last, mostly dry. "Joseph I am not sure how long myself and my squire will be staying, at least until the weather clears up so would you mind starting a tab I will clear out when we leave. This way we are not paying for longer then we are staying and losing a few coins." Wymar asks politely suspecting that if the weather stayed strong as it was they would be in town at least another two days.

With rumors done being told, and the business end of their arrangement taken care of Wymar takes the keys and heads upstairs with Thomas, going into their room and locking the door behind them before going to sleep for the night once he was out of his armor and in relatively dry clothes.

JNAProductions
2019-06-14, 09:30 PM
"Maybe... Maybe... It's hard to put a finger on it. A general feeling of unease, people disappearing... Not unlike your sister," he says. "I was actually hoping you'd've heard from her-she's good people. But, tell you what-I'll put some feelers out, see what people know. Especially the Indosian guard-they might have more solid details than the townsfolk."

When you're ready to retire, Joseph goes behind the bar and fishes out two keys. "Fourth door on the left and right up the stairs. Sleep well, you two."

The night passes without much happening.

Morning comes, with you sleeping in longer than you usually would owing to your late night last night.

dantiesilva
2019-06-15, 10:09 PM
"I would appreciate that Joseph thank you, if they ask why you can mention Lady Juliana Gilbert's brother was asking and willing to help look into any leads while he is here." Sir Wymar says thankful that he would not have to do all the leg work himself and knowing that his sisters name would get people more willing to trust him to help them.

As the morning sun rises and passes it is well past what time Wymar is used to waking up living life on a farm, however given how exhausted they were from the night before he was not surprised. "Time to wake up Thomas Godfrey and see what we can learn before departing this city." Wymar states before being helped into his armor and making his way downstairs. "Good morning Joseph, I hope you slept well last night." Sir Wymar says in greeting as he makes his way to sit down at the bar. "Hope we are not to late for breakfast, not used to sleeping in so late and its never a good idea to work on an empty stomach." he explains, waiting to see how late they had truly slept.

JNAProductions
2019-06-16, 05:14 PM
It's not terribly late-perhaps 10 o clock in the morning. Shouldn't disrupt your sleep patterns too hard, so long as you go to bed and rise early enough tomorrow.

When you go to Thomas, it takes a few hearty shakes to wake him. "Sorry sir!" he says as he bolts up. "I was just so tired, and... Well... Sorry."

"I don't sleep at night," Joseph replies. "I'll actually be turning in soon, and handing over the running to one of my employees for the day. Little bastard is running late-one more time, and he's out. But, enough of my troubles-food for you!" he says jovially. "Meats, cheeses, fruits, stew, bread... Now that it's not the dead of night, we've got it all."

Not that you'd expect him to be lying, but a quick look around reveals him to be speaking truthfully. There's perhaps a dozen men and women about, most dining on something, and there is quite a variety. "Although, I won't be sleeping quite as soon as Markel arrives. I've got to talk to some people, let them know to be looking about. Is there anything specific you're trying to learn, other than any news of your sister?"

dantiesilva
2019-06-16, 09:25 PM
"It's all right Thomas Godfrey, I understand and just woke up recently myself. So long as this does not become a habit we will be fine. If it does, well there is always cold water." Sir Wymar says with a smirk, half joking that he would dump water on the boy if he slept in to many times.

"A simple stew with fresh baked bread will do just fine I assure you Joseph. A knight must be able to make things that can last after all and the best way to do that is in a stew." he explains, not wanting himself and Thomas to get to used to eating anything to fancy. "As for running the inn at night I must say I do not envy you for that, long hours of almost no customers must get rather boring not unlike standing watch over a camp."

"Now that you ask and I have had some time to sleep on it, if there is any word coming in from the village of Edinborough, its the last place I heard something may be happening and it was where I was heading when the weather forced us to take a detour. Besides any word of what is happening there simply that while I am in town I will be looking for work until say tomorrow if the weather holds. Figure we can resupply and such today on the few things we need for the journey before heading out."

JNAProductions
2019-06-16, 09:47 PM
"Edinborough, Edinborough... Ah, yes, Alfred and Meredith! I didn't pry, but I think they're having a spat-though that's probably not what you're looking for. Local gossip, really-man and wife have argument is not exactly the sort of a thing a knight needs to know, now is it?" Joseph says with a little chuckle. But, when Thomas goes a little pale at the mention of Alfred's name, Joseph frowns. "But... Did you meet him? Your squire seems to know the name, and while I'm certain as a squire he has much to learn, it'd hardly be becoming of a knight-to-be to go pale at the mere mention of a new friend, now would it?"

Thomas looks to you, then to Joseph, and asks "Can we trust him?"

I'll assume you say yes. He comes recommended by your sister, but if I've judged wrong, let me know OOC and I'll edit the post.

After nodding or otherwise indicating yes, Thomas turns to Joseph and speaks in a hushed tone. "Alfred took his children because a cabal of necromancers infiltrated his town. He believes his wife to have joined them."

Joseph nods, his hand reaching out behind the bar. He grabs a black bottle, and downs a hearty swig-revealing that the bottle is, in fact, clear, and merely contains a pitch-black liquid. "Ah. I see. Meredith is staying at The Dancing Unicorn, last I heard."

dantiesilva
2019-06-17, 10:52 PM
"No it would not." Sir Wymar says as he looks at Thomas thinking if he could not keep his composure with a simple question without giving away he already knew something he would get into a lot of trouble as a knight. It was a habit he would have to find a way to break out of him. However there was a more immediate problem at the moment, Joseph seemed to know who he was talking about and he had to figure out how much was safe to tell the inn keeper. " Juliana trusts him and so do I, though some information is best kept to oneself unless they wish to risk innocents Thomas Godfrey. You need to learn to keep your composure during questioning and not give away what you know so easily." he says to his squire to be before looking back at Joseph.

"We meet Alfred on the road here, you know how it is when everyone is seeking shelter from the rain. I guess his wagon got a little to close to the stream and toppled over into it, thankfully my squire Thomas Godfrey and myself were close enough to help them. Didn't really talk much to him, but heard him mention where he was from so I thought I would go visit the place." Sir Wymar says withholding just a small amount of information to try and protect the inn keeper. If asked he will however mention that he heard him heading towards the nearest port city.

Deception check [roll0] Sir Wymar has no doubts an inn keeper could see through his lies, he is just hoping that he will be able to read between the lines of why he is hiding what he knows.

"I assume this Meredith is his wife that you mention." Wymar asks politely as Joseph had put their names together they had to be related in some way.

JNAProductions
2019-06-18, 10:25 AM
Joseph raises an eyebrow, but refrains from questioning. If you had to guess, his experience with Juliana has lead him to think quite highly of your family, and he believes you to have good reason for hiding information. Though it does seem he's not a fan of being kept in the dark. "Meredith is his wife, yes. Unless she was lying, of course, but I've a knack for seeing when people do. Do you need directions to the Dancing Unicorn, to talk to her?"

If you say yes, Joseph gives directions-it seems the Unicorn isn't too far, perhaps half an hour. Maybe an hour, given the weather and your unfamiliarity with the city.

Thomas stays quiet during this exchange, though you're sure he'll apologize afterwards.

dantiesilva
2019-06-18, 08:20 PM
"It is a good skill to have, as is knowing what questions not to ask so you can't get others in trouble, especially when some with you can't keep a poker face." Wymar says indicating his squire. "As for going to speak with her it would only raise questions, and while I am confident I won't draw to much attention my squire is another matter." he points out making it clear that this was not the time to confront Meredith.

"Is there anything I should know about the dancing Unicorn before I head there? And did this odd feeling happen before or after she arrived in town out of curiosity? I don't plan on questioning her yet, but it may not be a bad idea to try and get a gauge for her and who she spends her time with during the day. That is of course if she is still at the Dancing Unicorn." he admits before bidding Joseph adue until later that night.

Making his way with Thomas to the Dancing Unicorn Sir Wymar makes it clear that they were to not discuss or think about the family they had encountered on the road unless asked. And to not admit that they got the name if it did come up. It was best to go to the tavern and ask if they had heard of anyone needing help instead.

JNAProductions
2019-06-18, 09:08 PM
"The Unicorn is a bit of a rough place-nothing criminal, just rough," Joseph replies. "I wouldn't be too concerned for yourself, though. Just keep a close eye on the coinpurse. As for the malaise... Long before she got here. At least a week."

Thomas nods, as you explain the plan. He does add, though, "It might be best if I stay outside, sir. While I do need to practice my game face... Well, I need to practice it. I don't want to risk you, I, or anyone else getting hurt because of a mistake I make."

dantiesilva
2019-06-18, 10:38 PM
"Odd place for a lady to make her bed while she is in a city if you ask me from how you describe it. Though on the point of the coinpurse I will keep that in mind." he adds making sure to put all the coins besides those he needed, back upstairs in his room he and Thomas were sharing.

Leaving 20gp in the upstairs room they are renting so that if his purse is stolen its only 5gp still a good amount but less then the full amount.

As Thomas states it would be best for him to stay outside Wymar has a decision to make, on one hand the boy was correct he had a bad poker face and if anyone asked the right question he could possibly give them away. On the other hand his own was not much better, though he liked to pretend it was. "Thomas if you feel that way return to the inn and ask Joseph for a task to keep you busy around the inn. Make yourself useful to the kind man, and I will return as soon as I can." Wymar says making his way to the Dancing Unicorn alone, at least this way if a fight did break out he would not need to worry to much about Thomas. Then again it would be hard to teach his squire much from such a distance.

JNAProductions
2019-06-19, 08:18 PM
Thomas nods, and returns to the Constable's Tabernacle. "Good luck, sir," he offers before departing.

You travel through the city, doing your best to stay dry and failing pretty badly. But, within about forty minutes, you're at the Dancing Unicorn, in a disreputable part of town.

dantiesilva
2019-06-19, 11:12 PM
Once at the Dancing Unicorn Sir Wymar makes his way inside the tavern, looking for a table close to the door if he needed to make a quick getaway, but still close enough where he would be noticed as he placed his flail on the table making it clear if anyone tried to rob from him he was armed.

When a server came up to him to ask for his order he ordered a simple soup and nothing more, something to warm him up after being outside in the cold for all that time. While he ate he would try and listen and pay attention to the people in the Dancing Unicorn.

Perception to notice anything [roll0]
Stealth to make it less obvious he is not paying attention to everyone else [roll1]

JNAProductions
2019-06-20, 01:49 PM
There's six men about in the main area, one man behind the bar (busying himself with getting you soup), and not a single woman you can see.

The men, outside of the employee, are giving you the stink-eye, but keep to themselves. You do overhear them talking about you, things like "Think's he's hot stuff, eh?", "Jerkoff," and "That's a nice weapon he's got there..."

Before long, your soup is set before you-it's watery, but actually tasty. The bartender asks "Need a drink to go with it? Or anything else?"

dantiesilva
2019-06-20, 08:16 PM
"No ill be fine thank you, though would you mind giving that table there a round of drinks. You can place it on my tab." he says taking out a single gold piece and handing it to the man who had brought him his soup before going back to eating it. He expected one of two things would happen once the round of drinks was brought over to the others. One they would think he had money and either try to steal it or get him to buy them more drinks. Or two they would think he was being snobbish and get mad, he hoped it was the first as he could handle drunks a lot easier then normal people, especially when trying to learn things about a town. Go to the local tavern get someone drunk and they were bound to tell you something going on about the city.

JNAProductions
2019-06-20, 08:30 PM
They look askance at you, but take the drinks without a fuss. They down them quickly, and one of them shouts "Hey, you got deep enough pockets for a second round?"

The gold you gave should cover at least three rounds already.

dantiesilva
2019-06-20, 10:50 PM
"Depends on who's asking, and what they are willing to tell a traveler about this town and the local news." Sir Wymar responds as he looks to the barkeep to pour the glasses, but not hand them out just yet. "You willing to help a traveler learn about this town or should I just go jerkoff and drink with someone else?" he replies, making it clear he had heard the comments but was willing to overlook them for what would appear to be simple local knowledge.

JNAProductions
2019-06-21, 10:33 AM
The man who talked looks away a moment, but looks back. "Eh, come sit with us, enjoy what your coin bought," he says. When you come over, he mutters a quiet "Sorry," before clearing his throat and speaking in a more clear voice. "We don't get many people like you around here. Doesn't seem like your kind of place."

"Who knows?" another one of the gentlemen at the table says. "He seems like he's good in a scrap."

"True, true enough," the first says. "I'm Andrew. That's Clark," he says gesturing to the second, "and that's David," he says of the third.

dantiesilva
2019-06-21, 10:39 PM
"Best place to be is where one is not expected, tends to mean you are looking in the right place." the knight says with a smirk. "Besides what kind of trouble could the rich be in with all the guards they can pay for, no its always best to go to the more common parts of town, easier to find someone who really needs help and not just to show you off as a pet or piece or artwork to be collected." the knight explains to the man honestly, after all it was always the poor and common folk who needed a knight more, yet rarely did they see one.

"I know my way around the flail, mostly from my mentor beating me with it until I stopped making mistakes. So to answer your statement I believe I could hold my own in a scrap if one needed to happen yes." he states sure of his own skills against a person of equal talent. "It is a pleasure to meet you Andrew, he says extending his hand to the man before turning his gaze to meet the next. "Clark." again he extends his hand in friendship, before turning towards the last individual introduced "and you as well David. I myself am known as Sir Wymar Gilbert, but you can simply call me Wymar." he says too them before taking another spoonful of his soup. "Taste a lot better then the food I have been having on the road as of late, and with this rain, warms you right up." he says talking about the soup. "So what brings the three of you here? Trying to stay out of the lovely weather we are having as well, or simply passing through?

JNAProductions
2019-06-22, 09:41 AM
The men seem disarmed by your overtly friendly greetings, and shake your hand warmly. "David?" Andrew asks. "Mind if we tell him?"

David shrugs, and Clark nods. Clark then says "David's fighting with his wife, so he's sleeping in here for now. We're here to support him, when we aren't working or whatnot ourselves."

As Clark and Andrew talk, you see a pale woman come down the stairs. She finds a spot in the corner of the room, back to the wall and facing the door, and pulls out a small book.

dantiesilva
2019-06-22, 08:23 PM
'it's a good thing you have such supportive friends David, my sister and the man she married sometimes have their quarrels. Thankfully hes a hunter of sorts so he can just go and take off for a short time and let her clam down while he gets to enjoy himself if you know what I mean. I know it may not be much but how about another round, you have enough troubles to worry about after all. These things work themselves out though in time. From what I have witnessed after a brief time apart and talking things out things tend to get better." he says as he signals the barkeep to bring another round over.

As he turns around to do so he notices the pale woman coming down the stairs and doing roughly the same thing as he had done earlier, though with a small notebook which seemed odd to him. "And here I thought no women came here given how I have only seen men so far." he says jokingly with the others trying to lighten the mood.

JNAProductions
2019-06-22, 09:06 PM
The bartender brings forth more drinks, which the men eagerly slam back. David says, quietly and a bit slurred, "Thanks," to your words.

"Don't mind him too much," Clark says. "He's not particularly talkative on the best of days. As for her... Well, we get women 'round here, but not usually the bookish type. Dunno why she's here, but she's stayed out of trouble so far, far as I can tell."

dantiesilva
2019-06-22, 10:34 PM
"Its fine, and no offense taken." Wymar assures them all as he finishes off his soup. "So she has been here a while then I take it?" Wymar asks curious if perhaps this was Martha or perhaps just another traveler who simply did not take note of where they were perhaps and thought this was as good a tavern as they were going to get.

Hearing that the woman had been at the same tavern for a while now, and figuring he would not find out much more about her by simply asking them he excused himself from the table before making his way over to her table. "You know from what I hear this part of town is a bit rougher then the rest. Whats a scholar such as yourself doing here?" he asks in a friendly manner, gesturing to an empty seat at her table to see if he could sit. "Names Sir Wymar by the way." he says offering his name in the hopes it would open a dialog. [/COLOR]

JNAProductions
2019-06-24, 10:08 AM
"Little while," Andrew replies. "Hasn't really talked to anyone-not after the first day. She was asking around for her husband-well, she SAYS it was for her husband. If I had to guess," he slugs back a drink, "hubby got cold feet before the marriage and ran away."

You head over and introduce yourself after Andrew's explanation. She looks at you-her eyes cold and dark-and turns slightly to face away from you.

dantiesilva
2019-06-24, 08:51 PM
"Odd for someone to ask about their husband and then simply sit at a tavern waiting or hoping he walks into that one in a big city like this. Especially if you are chasing after him." Wymar notes though suspects the others wouldn't have much to add besides agreement.

"So it will be that way then." Wymar notes as he catches sight of her eyes before she turns slightly away. "I have seen the eyes of wild beasts and killers alike, as well as those of honest good folk, and desperate lost souls. I don't know what you have planned for this town, but from the look in your eyes alone it is nothing good. So besides barroom gossip why are you here?" Wymar says keeping his hand close to his flail incase she tried to attack him while trying to quickly look at her journal like item to see if it matched what was described to her, or was something he would see as evil.

Perception [roll0]
Religion to see if it "looks evil" given how he worships a god of law, something like blood writing and talk of sacrifice would stick out to him [roll1]

JNAProductions
2019-06-24, 09:06 PM
She shifts the book, making it ahrd to see much besides the cover. With your keen eye, though, you see that she's added to it-it has a second cover, concealing whatever's beneath.

"None of your business, stranger," she says quietly. "I'd prefer to be left alone."

dantiesilva
2019-06-24, 09:57 PM
"Someone who wants to be left alone doesn't go to the part of town known for being a bit more rough around the edges without being escorted unless they can make people leave them alone." Wymar points out a matter of fact. Pretending to have not noticed the book cover he goes back to where he was sitting with the others, however he keeps a close eye on the woman out of the corner of his eye and excuses himself if she leaves to follow after her.

If she remains at the inn however he pays David a few silver to simply pay attention if she does anything out of the ordinary and to tell him when he returns before leaving the inn, taking a roundabout route to lose anyone following, before making his way back to the Constable's Tabernacle.

If she leaves before he does stealth to follow without being seen [roll0] I'm certain the chainmail will do something against that but not sure if its disadvantage or simply a minus

Perception to follow [roll1]

If he leaves before her survival to try and lose her [roll2]
And using Athletics to get a bonus or something on par coring it if followed [roll3]

JNAProductions
2019-06-25, 10:01 AM
Heavy Armor imposes disadvantage on Stealth checks. But you already got a five, so...

The men talk, including you in their conversation, though a lot of it is about people you don't know. You still do your best to contribute, to be polite, if nothing else, and keep an eye on the woman. After a time, she goes to the bar, and gets two drinks, asking the bartender for something from the top shelf. She speaks, quietly, to the bartender, who looks a little confused, but shrugs and doesn't reply. She then comes to your table, book not visible, and says "I'm sorry for being rude earlier. I'm just in a bit of a bad spot right now-care to share a drink to make up for it?" she says, offering you your choice of the two she got. It looks like a fine wine, which matches the bottle the bartender poured.

dantiesilva
2019-06-25, 08:00 PM
[roll0]

"I do not drink, clouds the mind." Sir Wymar says plainly to her offer of the two bottles, "Thank you for the offer though. And what gave that away the part of town your in being a book person or the fact there are no women here like you?" he asks curious of what she had to say, however not denying her a chance to sit down if she so choose. "If you got a job I'm willing to listen, but keep in mind I take the jobs I choose on principle if something seems off or its personal I don't get involved."

JNAProductions
2019-06-26, 09:19 AM
She sets one of the glasses in front of you, taking a sip from the other, and says "You sure? It's more flavorful than alcoholic, and it's already paid for. You really should drink it-it's good, I promise."

Make a save, please. Wisdom. DC 13. On a failure, drink the glass.

dantiesilva
2019-06-26, 08:44 PM
Normally Sir Wymar didn't drink, even when he was talking to David and the others while they drank he simply ate his soup, however against all instincts his mind told him that maybe this one time wouldn't be so bad. After all she had said it was mostly for flavor, he thought to himself, an oddity onto itself to go back on what he originally thought. As he took a sip of the drink before putting it back down. "Its a little sweet for my taste I must admit, never really was one for drinking even before I became a knight. Speaking of which I still have not caught your name yet." he adds remembering proper protocol in such situations.

Despite himself, and his tastes however he soon finds that the glass is empty, "Odd I honestly don't remember drinking so much before so quickly." he says wondering what had gotten over him.

A few notes he always adresses everyone by their name and title so he will keep asking for her name, and his flaw is he is unshakeable in his beliefs that he always has the higher morale ground so him changing his mind would seem odd even to him.

I know in 3.5 there was sense motives to see if someone was under an enchantment spell, if his traits and such would call for it I believe insight is the closest [roll0] to see if he knows he was just bam boozled up to you though if it holds water or not.

JNAProductions
2019-06-26, 09:09 PM
"Hey, we all gotta start somewhere!" Clark says, clearly at least a little plastered. "Come on, enjoy it!"

The woman smiles, just a little, and says "Meredith. Meredith Alburn."

Andrew nods. "Good name. Nice name. Nice... Um..." he trails off, and takes another drink. "Nice to finally meet you, I guess."

dantiesilva
2019-06-26, 09:19 PM
"I suppose your right Clark, though this will have to be my only one for now." he says agreeing with Clark that everyone did have to start somewhere if they wished to learn something, so it wasn't so far fetched to have just a small drink, after all he did have to blend in just a little. Or at least that is what Sir Wymar told himself as the nice lady introduced herself finally. "Well Meredith Alburn its nice to finally meet you, if you don't mind me asking where did your book go? It's to big to simply vanish and I didn't see you leave." he notes, a bit to obviously, no doubt his first drink ever making him be a bit more direct then he normally would.

JNAProductions
2019-06-26, 09:32 PM
"Lady's secret," she says, chuckling a little. Her clothes do seem, perhaps, big enough to shelter the book, but it'd take some doing. "So what are you doing here-all of you?"

"Well," Andrew says, "he's paying for drinks, so as far as I'm concerned, he can do whatever he wants! Heh, although we're mostly here to support David. Poor guy..."

Meredith frowns. "Why does he need support?"

David speaks, an entire sentence this time. "I'm having trouble with my wife."

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" she replies. "I've had a bit of a row with my husband as well-I hope nothing so serious for you."

dantiesilva
2019-06-26, 09:41 PM
"Myself I'm just here looking around for work and any leads I can find on my sister. She has been gone a while with no word so I came out looking for her. Knowing that she used to stop in town frequently I choose to try here first." Wymar explains to everyone at the table. "As for paying for drinks, I was paying for the ones you already drank not the whole night." he says with a bit of a chuckle.

"And two people in one inn having trouble with their relationships, don't see that everyday. From the sounds of it yours must be pretty bad Meredith Alburn if your hoping David here is not as bad off as you are." he says to Meredith, though gossip of this sort was normally below a knights duty, he had promised to find out what was going on to Alfred and this was the best way to hear her side of the story.

JNAProductions
2019-06-26, 09:45 PM
"We're from Edinborough," she says, "but he took the kids and left home."

Andrew, Clark, and David all offer sympathetic noises, with Clark saying "Gods, that's awful. Why would he do that?"

"I don't know," Meredith says.

Make a composure check. I'm thinking it'd be Wisdom (Deception), but if you have a better idea for what to roll to keep your cool, let me know.

Basically, there's enough info that you can quite obviously put together that she's (according to Alfred) a necromancer, or at least in with them. The trick is not letting it show.

dantiesilva
2019-06-26, 10:06 PM
"Edinborough, you mean that small farming community south of the barrows roughly?" Sir Wymar asks as he confirms this was the woman Alfred had told him about, now the question remained was she really a necromancer or cultist like he had said or not? How would he even know without seeing the book. Better yet if he did see the book and it was written in some fancy code how would he even be able to tell? Wymar worries about all this and more as he tries to follow along with the conversation.

"Seems odd for a man to leave his home with his children, especially in a farming town like the one you say your from Meredith Alburn. Were you home when he took the kids and left, if not perhaps something scared him and he left trying to protect them. I lost a friend once to a monster coming to close to town once so I could see that." he says trying to keep his composure and make it seem like perhaps he left to save the kids and couldn't find her in time.

JNAProductions
2019-06-27, 11:14 AM
"No-Edinborough is as safe as ever," she says. "It's just... We had disagreements on how to raise the children, and I guess it cut deeper than I thought."

At this point, David's starting to nod off. Andrew and Clark look over to you, with Clark saying "We appreciate the drinks, Wymar, but we should get David to his bed and be on our way. Hope you find your sister." They move over to David, and gently shake him awake, then start leading him to the rooms of the Unicorn.

dantiesilva
2019-06-27, 09:40 PM
"Seems an odd reason to run, but either way its none of my business." he points out making it clear that marital problems and such were not his concern. They were a dispute between two people that had to work it out as partners. So when Andrew and Clark say they need to get David to his room Wymar stands up and offers to help them. "Well it was a pleasure meeting you miss, I'm going now however." he says, and unless stopped leaves to return to Joseph's inn unless he is stopped or the others allow him to help them get their friend to his room.

JNAProductions
2019-06-28, 10:21 AM
Meredith doesn't do anything to stop you, merely returning to her spot at the wall.

Andrew and Clark offer their thanks for helping with David and buying the drinks, and wish you well on your journeys.

The trip back to the Tabernacle is uneventful, but the rain seems to be letting up a little bit, so that's a good sign. In the Tabernacle, Joseph is behind the bar, with Thomas cleaning off some tables, and a decent amount of customers about.

dantiesilva
2019-06-28, 07:49 PM
As Wymar makes his way into the Tabernacle he waves a greeting to Joseph before finding a place to sit down making it clear he knew that the man had other things to do then talk to him right away. When Thomas finishes up with his task Sir Wymar waves him over, "So learn anything to day squire Thomas Godfrey?" he asks the young man in general curiosity, listening patiently as the young man explained what he did with his day before returning the favor and telling his own story just loud enough for his squire to hear. "The stories line up for the most part meaning this is the person we were looking for, the question is now what? From what I have seen so far she seems to dislike company, and she is hiding something for certain in that notebook she carries around, but besides that she seems pleasant enough, even bought me a drink." he mentions to his squire.

When Joseph finally comes around Wymar stands and extends his hand in greeting asking the innkeeper if he had gotten enough sleep today and if thomas had kept up with everything he was asked to do. When it seems no one is paying attention anymore to them he asks, "So what's the word?" before describing his own day.

JNAProductions
2019-06-29, 09:35 AM
Thomas talks, briefly, about his day. "Didn't learn anything important, though I will say these people love their gossip. I helped Joseph clean tables and other minor things-he insisted on paying me for my time, and, well, he is quite persuasive. Just four silver for the day-though given the hour, I should work some more if I want to really earn it."

After you explain what happened at the Unicorn, Thomas frowns. "And you drank it, sir? That's... That's not very much like you. Maybe Joseph isn't the only one with a silver tongue after all."

"Nothing yet, pertaining to family matters. Can't say I'm too surprised-news only travels so fast," he replies. When you talk about what happened, Joseph nods, and says "Well, conflicting stories happen. The weather should be clearing by this time tomorrow, so perhaps you should go to Edinborough and get to the bottom of it all."

dantiesilva
2019-06-30, 04:27 PM
"Thats a good and honest idea Thomas. One should never take more then they earn, go ahead and finish up. We won't be leaving until dawn tomorrow at the earliest anyways." Wymar agrees, letting his squire go back to the work he was given. However as the boy mentions that its not very much like him to drink Sir Wymar thinks on the encounter for a moment, trying to remember what happened. "Well I did refuse at first, I clearly remember that. However she said something that made me think it was a good idea....that I should drink it or something like that." he states trying to think back to the ordeal and if he could have been tricked.

"I plan on it, I just hope our friend stays safe until I find out what is going on. If one lied I would be required to go and correct my mistake, however if the truth was told will uphold what I swore to protect the innocent." he says to Joseph sure of himself and his choice of action. And given the bad weather and him telling the guards he would start no trouble there was little else he could do but wait for the morning and with luck the rain to subside.

dantiesilva
2019-07-02, 12:30 PM
Sir Wymar spends the rest of the day going to the local market looking for someone selling trail rations. They had a weeks journey still to the nearest town, and that was with good weather and no ill effects happening along the way to sidetrack himself and his squire Thomas Godfrey. Alone he suspected he could possibly survive on half the rations he was buying now, however he was not alone and could not hope for his squire to be able to find food on the road as easily as he would. As such he made sure to buy 14 days worth of rations total, or a week for the two of them. Handing over ten gold pieces to the shop keeper and getting two silver in return.

Once finished he returns to the Constable's Tabernacle owned by Joseph and thanks him for all of his hospitality along with paying him what was owed. "When I finish my work in Edinborough I will return to fill you in on what happened. If you could keep an ear to the ground for me on word of my sister I would greatly appreciate it Joseph." Wymar says kindly to the man, letting him know that he would return as soon as his current job was finished.

Once all pleasentries are done, he makes his way up to his room and heads to bed early so that he and Thomas could have an early start on the day.

JNAProductions
2019-07-02, 12:50 PM
Joseph shakes your hand-a strong, firm grip. "Best of luck to you and your squire. Fight the good fight, and do good."

Thomas, seeing you ready yourself for bed, asks Joseph if there's any last tasks he should perform before turning in, but he replies with a negative. You two go to your rooms and are asleep in just a little longer than it might usually have taken, since you're adjusting back to your regular sleep cycle.

Come morning, a quick glance outside shows an overcast, but not actively raining day. Jospeh is not at the bar, but instead a friendly-looking halfling woman. She waves as you come down, and asks "Breakfast for the noble sirs?"

dantiesilva
2019-07-02, 01:26 PM
As morning comes and the two notice Joseph not sitting behind the counter Wymar finds it rather odd given he ran the night shift he said. Looking over to Thomas as if to see if the boy had seen this woman before he takes a seat at the bar near her. "Just something small, we are going to be hitting the road soon." he says casually. "By the way I thought Joseph worked the night shift, seems odd for him to not be here so early." he says as the two wait for their breakfast.

Perception to notice if anything seems out of place if Thomas doesn't recognize her [roll0]
Insight check to make sure she isn't hiding anything [roll1]

JNAProductions
2019-07-02, 01:39 PM
"He said he had some business to attend to-wanted to catch up on some not-so-local rumours," she replies, seemingly perfectly honest. "I don't mind working a little extra time. After all, he's been a huge help to me and my family. Eggs and toast sound okay?" she asks.

Once you and Thomas hash out with her what you want to eat, she heads back and starts cooking, and comes out before too long with a light, but quite tasty, breakfast. "You two are traveling to Edinborough, right? My uncle lives there-Reinald Magnuson. Mind letting him know that me and my family have been doing well in the big city?"

dantiesilva
2019-07-02, 02:15 PM
Seeing no ill intent form the young halfling who was so kind and honest with them Wymar nodded in thanks. "That sounds lovely miss?" he says, ending the sentence in a question as he in truth did not know her name.

"It should be easy enough, I'm sure we could stop by your uncles and let him know [insert name here]." Wymar says as he finishes up his breakfast. "Is there anything else you would like us to tell him when we meet him or is that all?" he asks, making sure of the message before getting ready to depart.

Once Thomas was finished eating as well Wymar straps his bag to his back before covering it with his shield, Thomas doing the same minus a shield. "Well we best be off, have a good day [insert name here] and let Joseph know that he was a great help." unless there is more to add the two, knight and squire, make their way towards the town gates, and from there to Edinborough.

JNAProductions
2019-07-03, 09:18 AM
"Jeihneer. Jeihneer Magnuson-his brother's my dad," she replies. "And, um... Tell him to come visit sometime! We'd like to see him again," she adds with a smile.

As you leave, she waves and offers a friendly "Good bye, and safe travels!"

The travel through Indos is uneventful-with the weather clearing, the streets are more crowded than before, but not too congested. When you exit the city, the road winds in gentle curves, leading towards Edinborough, among other villages and destinations.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

dantiesilva
2019-07-03, 10:24 PM
"I will let your uncle know Jeihneer Magnuson, you have my word." Sir Wymar says politely to the young halfling before departing. Waving back at the young innkeepers servant as they leave. Making their way through the winding streets of Indos he notes that people are definately traveling again given all the congestion in the streets, he could only imagine how bad it would be on a normal day, being from such a small farming village all these people so close seemed amazing and chilling all in the same way. As if one could get lost in a crowd of people.

As they depart the city Sir Wymar tries to see if any caravans are traveling in the direction of Edinborough, offering his services for the journey if he finds one, and if not simply following the road. His eyes unlike in town however were always scanning the horizon, looking ahead of them each time they reached the top of a hill to see what lay ahead and the surrounding area. After all this was further then he had ever gone in his entire life, and each site was new to him and exciting. But he also knew behind each hill and tree could lay a slumbering beast or tribe of one of the monstrous races, and as such he was cautious even if he did let himself get distracted from time to time with the views.

Passive perception is a 10
Survival check to notice anything that could be dangerous [roll0]
Nature check to notice landmarks and such that he may have heard about in tales from his sister [roll1]
athletics checks for when they are needed [roll2]

As they walk Sir Wymar asks the young squire questions he knew the boy would know but told him to try and hide that he knew it, trying to train the boy to hide his expressions so that they could never give him away. "If all else fails and you cannot master it, by a helm that conceals your face. They cannot catch on that you are hiding something if they cannot see your face." he says with an amused smile.

JNAProductions
2019-07-04, 03:05 PM
You spot no real landmarks-the area around Indos is mostly gentle, rolling fields.

There's no caravan leaving at the same time you are, so you travel with only Thomas as your companion.

A few days of travel go by, stopping as needed to rest, maintain equipment, and train your squire. On the fifth day, though, you spot a faint glint on one of the fields-something sparkling slightly in the afternoon light.

dantiesilva
2019-07-04, 06:39 PM
Each morning on their travels Sir Wymar would teach Thomas the different noble houses he knew and the history of the kingdom they lived in. While each afternoon he would show him signs of the road, things to look for when one was looking for a good place to camp for the night, or how to find water. Each day was a different test, all building off of the skills of the day before. Each night however was a bit different, he would face off against Thomas, each using a stick roughly the size of a sword to duel against each other as he tried to test the boys will, trying to make it harder for him to give away what he knew.

So on the fifth day when he saw the slight glint on one of the fields he quickly pointed it out to Thomas. "Either somebody lost something on the road, or its a possible trap Thomas Godfrey. Its doubtful bandits would forget something that we can see from this distance, and it is like it wants to be found to draw someone in. Be on your guard, but don't draw your weapon unless you have to." Sir Wymar says before adjusting their heading just slightly so that they would cross paths with whatever was sparkling in the sun, all the while looking out for any signs of bandits or a fight.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2019-07-04, 06:53 PM
Thomas nods, and follows behind cautiously.

You look closer, and see the glint moving slightly. It occasionally almost leaps up, but seems stuck to the ground.

It is about 50' away right now, and the open fields make an ambush unlikely, though certainly not impossible.

dantiesilva
2019-07-04, 11:44 PM
"Well that's rather odd. It seems as if the glint is trying to jump free or move, as if it were alive or being pulled by something." Sir Wymar notes closing in a to within 20ft of it.

JNAProductions
2019-07-07, 05:31 PM
At this close spot, you're able to see what appears to be a coin... At least at first. As it hops again, it splits, revealing a somewhat insectile interior, matching the gold, shimmering wings that are briefly visible.

Apologies for the lateness-work buttsmashed me.

dantiesilva
2019-07-07, 10:20 PM
As Sir Wymar sees the odd contraption he looks a bit puzzled, not sure of what to make of such a thing. Was it a living creature, a construct, some magical creation? He wasn't sure but it definetly didn't seem natural. "I am Sir Wymar Gilbert I ask are you in need of aid?" he asks the object not really sure what else to do as he looks for a long stick or something to poke it with if it didn't respond.

Arcane [roll0]
History [roll1]
Nature [roll2]
Religion [roll3]

JNAProductions
2019-07-07, 10:27 PM
Below ten gets you nothing other than "Huh. Weird."

Your 20 in History, unfortunately, doesn't get you anything either. There's no famous (or even vaguely known) history of this thing.

Thomas looks at it. "I... I don't think it understands you, sir," he says. When you start looking around, he asks "What are you looking for sir?" and upon being told you're eyeing for a stick, he nods. "I think I saw when we walked over here-I'll fetch it while you keep an eye on this... Coin?"

Heading off, Thomas keeps his eyes to the ground for the stick he saw earlier. He heads about 20' back, bends down, and scoops up a long, semi-splintered piece of wood. It seems like it cracked off a wagon or something, judging by its worked nature. He returns, and hands you the stick. "There you are, sir."

Taking the stick, you gently poke the coin, and it hops as you do. It lands on top of the stick, and slowly begins making its way up it.

dantiesilva
2019-07-08, 11:12 PM
"You can never tell with such an odd contraption. I hear there are magical worlds were living beings are made out of gears and such like this seems to be and was hoping maybe this was one of them." the knight says to his squire in explanation.

As Thomas returns with the broken wagon peg Wymar looks at it before turning his attention back to the weird creature before him. "Thank you Thomas." he says as he gently pokes the golden insect like coin thing. Well I'm going to be the biggest fool to die from a coin in the world, or nothing is going to happen. the "braze" knight thinks to himself as he watches the coin walk up the stick, leaving it alone so long as it didn't seem to cause him any harm.

Just saying I just realized this could possibly be a lady bug, if so you are evil, like capital E evil.

JNAProductions
2019-07-08, 11:15 PM
Nah, I'm not THAT mean. :P

The coin continues to crawl up, occasionally fluttering its wings. Eventually, it reaches your hand. It stops there for a few moments, apparently confused or in thought, if it can think. You feel a brief pinch, and the coin-beetle's wings start to flap, making its way on top of your head in a few short hops.

Looking at your hand, you see a few drops of blood where the pinch was, and on your head, you feel the beetle nestling down in your hair.

"Is it... Is it friendly, sir? I think it likes you," Thomas says.

dantiesilva
2019-07-09, 01:01 AM
"Friendly would mean it can think Thomas and reason as we can. I believe it is like a typical animal at best, and is simply confused at what we are. But for the life of me I have no idea what kind of creature this is." Sir Wymar admits to his squire as the insect lays down in his hair, and he cleans off the blood from where it had pinched him before placing the stick down. "For now I would say its not dangerous, but given its ability to bite through skin and draw blood it can be if it so choose. How about we just leave him alone, with luck he will fly away eventually as we walk and that will be that." Sir Wymar says to his squire, not really wanting to tempt getting a part of his ear bitten off, or perhaps a finger by annoying the insect like creature to much.

Looking around a bit more to make sure he didn't miss anything, Sir Wymar and Thomas return to the road to continue their travels.

Perception [roll0]
or
Investigate [roll1]

I'm not sure which one would fit more for looking around where they found the insect like coin to see if there is something there.

JNAProductions
2019-07-09, 10:05 AM
You don't spot anything with your brief examination, and head back for the road, looking like a slightly off-kilter man who wears a gold piece for a hat now.

The beetle seems perfectly content to rest for now, and with a little mussing, can be hidden under your hair so you don't look quite so odd.

Night falls, with the beetle still in place, and you start to set up camp. As you make the fire, you hear a quiet growl, and turning, see a wolf, flanked by two more. Before you draw your weapon, though, the beetle flies off from your hair, buzzing angrily at the wolves.

Intimidate check! [roll0]
[roll1] With advantage, because the wolves were NOT expecting this. Still a crap mod, but credit where credit is due.

The wolves pause, seemingly not quite as interested in attacking now, but not giving up just yet.

Some recommended checks:

Intimidate can get the wolves to flee.
Animal Handling would be more difficult, but could get them to view you as a friend. Some meat here would give advantage.

Other checks are certainly possible, as is combat, but those are the ones I can think of immediately.

dantiesilva
2019-07-09, 10:28 AM
"Well you don't see that everyday." Sir Wymar says to Thomas as he pulls out his flail and starts banging it on his shield trying to make loud noises and seem bigger to scare the wolves off with his new beetle friend.

[roll0]

As he does this he rushes forward with his new beetle friend, making it clear they would not back down to the wolves or give them food. He understood they needed to eat like any other creature, but he would not be their meal, nor did he trust himself enough to be able to handle these wild creatures without getting his hand bitten off.

JNAProductions
2019-07-09, 10:40 AM
The wolves, growling, back off. Slowly at first, but then breaking and rushing away.

Thomas, his hand on his weapon, sighs. "Good thinking, sir. Hope that's not a sign of things to come..."

Gain 20 XP for that little encounter.

dantiesilva
2019-07-09, 12:15 PM
As the wolves retreat, at least for now, Sir Wymar let out a sigh of relief before extending his hand out to the little beetle to fly into. "We are on the open road now Thomas Godfrey, you would do well to remember that. Nature is unforgiving to those who are not prepared to defend themselves, and bandits are no kinder. It is a bit odd though, three wolves so far from any real cover coming to a group of people that almost number their own. I could understand if it was only one of us with such a small number, however they were only three that we saw so unless more were hiding in the bush they did not outnumber us greatly meaning something drove them to attack us, no doubt hunger." he explains to his squire, letting him know that animals also had certain things they did out of habit, and for them to break one of these habits meant something might have changed for them.

"Now let us get that fire roaring and eat, I suspect it will be a long night tonight and we must be vigilant at all times." he says before taking out his trail rations and breaking off some for the beetle and holding it up for the creature. "A reward for the mighty Golden Stag." he says with an amused look to Thomas as he offers the beetle the food.

JNAProductions
2019-07-10, 08:58 AM
The beetle pecks at the food, but doesn't eat it. Thomas nods, at your words, and says "I know, sir. But they didn't seem that starved or anything... Maybe something is driving them away from Edinborough? Something to do with the necromancers?"

Regardless of how the conversation continues, you settle in for the night. You should be arriving at Edinborough late tomorrow, possibly early morning in two days.

What time would you like to approach Edinborough? If nightfall is good, just travel on normally, but if you want to arrive under the light of day, slow your roll.

dantiesilva
2019-07-10, 11:12 AM
"The fact they didn't seem to starved could simply mean it is a recent development. After all it takes a while before any creature shows signs of true starvation or malnourishment." he says to his squire confident in what he said to be true. "I would have to agree with your statement Thomas Godfrey, but you should note the closer we get to the town the less you should talk about such things. Don't want anyone overhearing after all. It is better for them to think we are simply traveling through at the moment and stopping by to deliver a message." which to an extent they were doing.

"We should slow down a bit Thomas. If we keep going at the rate we are now we will arrive close to nightfall, when the black arts are at their strongest. We have no leads on who is one and who isn't and our only connection to this village is a halfling. If we move slowly we should arrive the next morning and be able to gather some information before we begin our investigation. After all you can tell a lot about a farming town by its superstition." he tells his squire, letting him know that they were going to risk being outside one more day for the chance to be better prepared the next.

JNAProductions
2019-07-10, 06:06 PM
Thomas accepts your words, and nods.

Just a little more travel later, taking plenty of time to spar and tutor, and a day passes, leaving you arriving to Edinborough just as the sun reaches its peak in the sky. The village is a small, homely-looking place. The buildings are squat bricks affairs, and there's only a few people out. Oddly, there are no children outdoors.

dantiesilva
2019-07-11, 11:50 AM
As the two arrive in town it becomes apparent from the lack of sound that something is amiss in town. In a small farming village one would expect to hear the children all running around playing together if not working with their parents if they were old enough. Yet here he couldn't see a child at all among the few people outside. Not a lot of people outside on a nice day perfect for working, and no children out playing. Not a good sign to begin with, and not very welcoming either, where are the town guards? he thought to himself as he looked around, looking for anyone willing to talk to him. Once found he introduces himself. "Hello, my name is Sir Wymar Gilbert and this here is Thomas Godfrey. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of Reinald Magnuson home, I was asked by his niece to deliver a message to him." he says trying to break the ice and try to get a feel for the people.

Perception to notice if he is being watched since entering town [roll0]
Persuasion for help with directions [roll1]
Insight to try and get a feel of the people, if they seem spooked or are trying to hide something, etc. [roll2]

JNAProductions
2019-07-11, 12:23 PM
Perception: You're fine.
Persuasion: See below.
Insight: Hoo boy! These folk seem on edge. Not hostile, but nervous, weary... Like they haven't slept well lately, and are worried about something.

Also, quick 1d2-1 man, 2 woman
[roll0]

The nearest person, a human woman with slightly pointed ears (probably just a touch of elfin ancestry) looks over, a little startled. "Oh! Sorry, sorry, I was... Thinking. The Magnuson's home is just down the way," she says, pointing towards one of the homes. "I think he's out hunting for the moment, though."

dantiesilva
2019-07-11, 12:47 PM
"Thank you very much miss..." he says waiting a moment to see if she gives her name or not before starting to head off in the direction she pointed before turning back. "By the way are you okay? I do not mean to pry but everyone I have come across in town so far seems on edge, and well looking at you, not trying to be rude or all. But it seems like you haven't slept for a few days." Sir Wymar notes, trying to come across as friendly and open with her, perhaps he could get a bit more information out of her by doing so, if not he wouldn't have tipped his hand by being a curious traveler.

JNAProductions
2019-07-11, 09:07 PM
She doesn't give her name, and when you start to pry, she cuts off. "I have to go!" she says, scurrying off into a home.

"Very tactful, sir," Thomas says. "I thought we were trying to be subtle."

dantiesilva
2019-07-11, 10:05 PM
"What, it was the truth Thomas. Anyone with half a brain could tell she hasn't slept in a few days. And any traveler would want to know what the word is." Sir Wymar says as they walk away silently to his squire. "Her reaction though means she knows something and doesn't want to get caught talking to us about it." he says patiently to his squire as he makes his way in the direction the woman had told him the halfling lived. No doubt at the moment half the eyes of the town were on them, and it would be best to simply walk away for now as if they were going back to what they originally came for.

JNAProductions
2019-07-12, 03:55 PM
The home is locked, unsurprisingly, since no one's supposed to be home. Thomas seems a touch nervous too, saying "I feel like there are eyes on us."

dantiesilva
2019-07-12, 09:50 PM
"I suspect you are right Thomas, espically after the scene with the girl. No doubt the people here are trying to see what kind of people we are. No doubt most of the honest folk are mostly locked in their homes leaving only a few to watch us while the rest are the ones we want to draw out." he says quietly to his squire as he knocks on the door just to make sure no one was home, "If anyone is inside I am Sir Wymar Gilbert and this here is Thomas Godfrey. We are just here delivering a message from a Ms. Jeihneer Magnuson from Indos." he says waiting a few seconds to see if anyone came to the door if not he shrugs. "Well looks like it is off to the inn to get a room for us. After we have a place to stay we can walk around a bit more, try to get an idea where Reinald Magnuson is known to hunt and go look for him." he says to his squire, making it seem for all intent and purposes they were simple messengers.

JNAProductions
2019-07-12, 09:53 PM
Looking around, you do see what was once a bit of a taller building. It's been wrecked, though, completely toppled and in pieces, and it appears the only building that's substantially different from the houses.

Wandering the village for a little does leave enough time for you to (around when you've made it back to the Madnuson household) see a rather strong-looking halfling man fumbling with the lock. "Damn door... Always getting jammed..."

dantiesilva
2019-07-12, 11:59 PM
Taking note of the toppled building he wonders how recently it had happened, or if it had fallen naturally or been attacked and destroyed which was far more likely. "That looks like something to look into further don't you think?" he says to his squire pointing at the building ready to explore it once they finished walking around the town.

Seeing the halfling fumbling with the lock Sir Wymar steps forward, extending his hand in greeting. "Greetings I am Sir Wymar, I don't suppose you would happen to be a Mr. Reinald Magnuson would you? I have a message from your Neice Jeihneer Magnuson from Indos." he says looking for any kind of hunting gear on his person.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2019-07-13, 11:38 AM
He's dressed in leathers, with a bow strung on his back and two daggers at his hips. Looking over, he says "Ah, Jeihneer! Tell me-how's she doing? Everything alright in the big city?"

dantiesilva
2019-07-20, 06:30 AM
"She wished for you to know that they were all doing well." Sir Wymar confirmed to the halfling male. "She works helping to run an inn in Indos." he explains to the man as that was what he assumed she was doing for a job after all.

Looking at his bearings and weapons everything looked about right from the many times he used to visit his sister Maynild and her husband who were tanners by trade. The husband fashioned himself a hunter and often tried to go it to save coin instead of buying from local hunters. Rarely it was he was successful, though he did have the proper tools. "I was told you were out of town hunting." he said looking back in the direction of the town, "I take it you didn't catch anything or you simply wanted peace and quite." he notes trying to see which the man would answer.

Insight to see if he is being honest [roll0]
Survival [roll1] using his skills of nature to help with his perception check to see if anything seems odd
Perception [roll2]

JNAProductions
2019-07-20, 10:19 AM
"Games been sparse, as of late. Luckily we've got plenty of food in crops and whatnot, but a man can only live off grass for so long," he replies. "I've got some salted meats inside, though-would you and your son like to step in for a meal?"

"I'm not his son," Thomas says. "I'm his squire."

Reinald nods. "I see-the offer still stands, though."

Survival and Perception get you nothing.

Insight gets you something, though. He's guarded-but hopeful. You definitely don't think he's got ill-will towards you or Thomas, though.

dantiesilva
2019-07-20, 10:47 AM
"We would love to Mr. Reinald Magnuson." Sir Wymar says, looking at his apprentice as if to say be polite, before following the halfling inside his abode. "I recently encountered two people on the road from Edinborough with two varying tales of how the town has been as of late. And judging by the mood outside, and the feeling as if myself and my squire are being watched I'm starting to suspect the first person I spoke to was right." he says inside the mans house where he is sure no one can hear him.

"You seem like an honest man Mr. Reinald Magnuson so I must ask do you know anything about what is going on in the village? I was informed a cult had started up and offered my services in the hopes of helping save the people of this village and in truth I do not know who to trust. From experience and your character I know hunters are often the best to trust as they tend to only say what they mean. I was hoping perhaps you could help point me in a direction or give me some advice." Sir Wymar says taking a gamble trusting the halfling with so much information, but he would either admit what he was told or deny it, then again he could also attack him outright, or pretend to be on his side to betray him later the knight decided, seeing more options were available then he previously thought.

JNAProductions
2019-07-20, 10:54 AM
Thomas is on his best behavior, holding the door for you two and wiping his shoes before walking in.

Reinald looks at you. "You're a fool to be so trusting," he says, "but yes. As you probably know, we're located just south of some barrows-a place for the dead to rest in peace. Well, some people weren't so keen on letting them rest. I've been playing stupid, trying to avoid getting targeted. With your arrival, I don't think that'll be possible anymore."

He grabs some meats from a larder, laying them on the table. "I doubt the three of us can take on the forces that have accumulated so far-the barrows are, as far as I can tell, pretty full of undead, and I don't know how many are intelligent. What we can do," he continues, "is try to capture one of the necromancers. I think I know where one hides out-get them, and get out. Bring proof to Indos, and get a legion sent here."

dantiesilva
2019-07-20, 11:09 AM
"Offer a helping hand with one hand, while the other holds a knife." Sir Wymar says in response to the man stating he was to trusting. "I have learned to trust my instincts when they tell me about a person, I may not be able to see anything that is not obvious if someone wants to keep it hidden, but I can generally tell when they are keeping something from me." he explains kindly to the man. "From what the town knows I was coming from Indos to deliver a message to you, from your niece, which is true. I trust your judgement however."

"The trip back to Indos will take seven days with good weather, almost a full month for a journey there and back just the three of us. That's not including the time it will take for us to persuade them to send aid or for them to muster the aid to send." Sir Wymar points out to the halfling, making it clear that it was a risky move. "That entire time we are gone more innocents in the town will be targeted no doubt and by the time we return I doubt there will be anyone in town left that is not a part of this cult. Tell me is there anyone you can still trust in this town, or any people passing through?" he says thinking of perhaps trying to start a small resistance this way they could send a few people back to Indos for help once the necromancer was captured, but they would still be defending the home front waiting for aid to arrive.

JNAProductions
2019-07-20, 05:52 PM
"People I'd trust? Sure," he says. "People I'd trust with a sword, or hell, anything that resembles a weapon? No. I understand why you'd want to fight now," he continues, "but suicide isn't helping anyone."

"Surely there's a way," Thomas says, but is cut off.

Reinald snorts first, loudly and derisively, and says "If you have the skills needed to take them on, you'd be famous already. No-it's dangerous, it's slow, and it's out best damn hope."

dantiesilva
2019-07-20, 06:13 PM
"I may not be famous yet, however I come from a noble line of heroes of old. Perhaps you have heard of my Sister, Juliana Gilbert, paladin of Tyr. She taught me everything I know now about honor and fighting, and it is because of those lessons I can not turn away from the good people of this village. Tell me, if we capture this necromancer could you along with your friends be able to make it to Indos while I try to keep them busy here?" Sir Wymar asks seriously. "After one of their own is attacked I know they will come in force looking for me, as I am the newcommer and have the look of a knight meaning I will have to stay on the move, and stick to the woods, but I believe with Tyr's blessing I should be able to hold out for a week with ease. If things get bad I could always start heading towards Indos with my squire Thomas Godfrey."