PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Multiple Types of Perform Simultaneously

SirNibbles
2019-06-07, 04:58 PM
Versatile Performer (Complete Adventurer, page 112) states: "In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on a combined Perform check when using two or more forms of performance at the same time, such as a bard strumming a lyre while singing."

Where are the base rules for using two or more forms of performance at the same time? I've looked and looked but was unable to find anything. Is Versatile Performer the only source to introduce this mechanic?

Lastly, is there any real point to it since you don't really need a high perform check for anything besides diploPerform? This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?588174-The-Greatest-Performer) is what got me interested in finding a way to use Perform (weapon drill) for Bardic Music but, again, you don't really need high checks.

Thurbane
2019-06-07, 05:16 PM
https://sydenhamarts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Jake-Rodrigues.jpg

daremetoidareyo
2019-06-07, 05:27 PM
You can dance sing and play a handheld instrument for a +4 to a perform check. Then if you have favored in guild entertainer you can use that as a gather information check, and use that to buy drugs...or advance your characters plot. Depends on the bard I guess...

ben-zayb
2019-06-07, 06:09 PM
Being able to use multiple performs checks at a time would work well with the Haunting Melody feat, assuming the feat stacks with itself, which is arguable.

tiercel
2019-06-08, 12:56 AM
I guess I always figured the main point was to unlock “I can use different kinds of magical musical instruments,” though it’s not clear by RAW that Versatile Performer even works that way for the various magic-instrument requirements (though it would be highly reasonable to interpret/allow for that).

The +2 thing always read to me as a “here, have a minor static bonus so you get something to show for your feat while you are waiting to find or buy Heward’s Horrendous Harmonica or something.”

Otherwise, you’re probably taking this feat because you really want to play a one-person band (as Thurbane pointed out) or Lindsey Stirling (https://youtube.com/watch?v=jvipPYFebWc) or some role like that.

That said, there are uses for a high Perform check, if you are using the Inspire Awe (Dragon Magic) ACF or a bardic PrC that lets you blast (notably, Stormsinger from Frostburn, though there are others), never mind if you are using the Melodic Casting feat (Complete Mage) to replace Concentration with Perform (as well as cast spells while bardsong).

I’m sure there are other reasons to crank a high Perform check result, but getting +2 for investing a feat seems a suboptimal way to do so, certainly.

ottdmk
2019-06-17, 12:43 PM
I've always liked Versatile Performer because I like the notion of my Bard being able to play the lute just as well as he can sing... which is impractical to pull off with skill ranks alone. Yes, using a Feat is pricey in its own way, but as every Bard I've ever played has had at least a 14 Int I've always thought the tradeoff was worth it.

(I usually go Sing, Stringed Instrument, Oratory with my Bards.)

liquidformat
2019-06-17, 01:34 PM
I always saw the power of the feat being that I get int mod # of perform skills for the price of one. I could for example with high enough int mod, have perform sing, Stringed Instrument (to play my guitar), perform weapon drill (to use the bayonet on said guitar), and dance.

On a side note I have always thought perform dance and tumble should be synergistic skills, but that might just be me...

ottdmk
2019-06-18, 02:56 PM
You know, I never thought of a synergy bonus between Perform: Dance and Tumble, but I would totally allow that at my table. Good idea!

MisterKaws
2019-06-18, 03:19 PM
I always saw the power of the feat being that I get int mod # of perform skills for the price of one. I could for example with high enough int mod, have perform sing, Stringed Instrument (to play my guitar), perform weapon drill (to use the bayonet on said guitar), and dance.

On a side note I have always thought perform dance and tumble should be synergistic skills, but that might just be me...

They aren't?

Guess I homebrewed that in my head and didn't even know.

ayvango
2019-06-18, 10:25 PM
Had anyone count magical instruments? I had impression that bard should definitely choose string instruments since they have the broadest support.

tiercel
2019-06-19, 01:16 AM
Had anyone count magical instruments? I had impression that bard should definitely choose string instruments since they have the broadest support.

In terms of magical instruments, my impression is that sheer number does indeed land on the side of the strings, including the potentially excellent, open-ended Lyre of Building. (Magic instrument quality and price are both something too — there’s no point taking Perform (wind) if you’ll never reach a level where you might find a Horn of Ultimate Win, much less if you’d be more likely to sell a given instrument than actually keep and use it).

The thing is that many bards may prefer Perform (Oratory) or (Sing) because they leave hands free, letting the bard be a second-line melee fighter or backup archer while continuing to sing. If all you’re going to do sing and/or cast, then using an actual instrument is somewhat more attractive. Presumably, Versatile Performer was intended to bridge the gap?

weckar
2019-06-19, 04:25 PM
The thing is that many bards may prefer Perform (Oratory) or (Sing) because they leave hands free, letting the bard be a second-line melee fighter or backup archer while continuing to sing.
Isn't that what bootblades and elbow blades and the like are for? Mouthspikes or whatever they are called?

SirNibbles
2019-06-20, 06:02 AM

I swear I have seen that in some book in some manner but I'm away from home (and my sourcebooks) for a few weeks. I'll make sure to check when I'm back.