PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raiders IC

The Kool
2019-06-08, 12:08 AM
Welcome, to sunny Port Nyanzaru! Explosions of color, sounds, and scents assault your senses from all directions, from the slapping of water on ships' hulls, to the grunts of passing dinosaurs, to the rainbow of colors in every surface, each brighter than the last, Port Nyanzaru is alive with energy and motion. Minstrels and merchants, children and travelers, all people pass through the port. You stand at the wharf, and the city lies spread out before you.

Your reason for traveling here is simple. While it was some time ago that you saved the realm from Tiamat, your income from that adventure has run a little thin, and life has gotten rather stale. Here, in Chult, rumors have been spreading of forgotten cities ripe for the plunder, excitement and adventure waiting to be had around every corner. Here you should be able to refill your coffers and sate your wanderlust. And so you have gathered up the old weapons and armor, along with a few trinkets that may prove useful, and bought passage to this port city, the last bastion of civilization.

Welcome to the jungle.

OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?587803-Tomb-Raiders-OOC)

Tallytrev813
2019-06-08, 12:39 AM
A moderately sized boat pulls up to the port and crew ties it off, people begin exiting. Notably, a sturdy-sized woman exits the boat into the wharf. She stands a solid 6'0, and must weigh a lean 200 lbs. She has tan skin hidden beneath her armor, blonde hair tied back. A large shield with a symbol of a sword through the middle, from bottom to top, with 2 angel wings sprouting from either side of the sword, sits strapped to her back, a spear interlocked on the inside of it. She looks around, takes a deep inhale - almost as though she was absorbing the atmosphere, and looks up to the sun.

She stands there, motionless for a while, when (after a few minutes) a horse begins to fade into existence next to her. She pats the horse, and whispers something to it in an inaudible language to most anyone. The horse is large, and sturdy - a reflection of it's rider. It's a deep tan, with a black hair combed over to one side.

The woman mounts the horse, and takes another look around...
Ahh, it feels invigorating to be out again. Tyr be praised. She closes her eyes and clutches a small sword that hangs as a pendant from the necklace around her neck. For he has blessed us with the most beautiful of days.

She begins to trot into town, seeking information on a market - where one may look for items, horse riding gear, and other equipment for the journey ahead.

The Kool
2019-06-08, 01:21 AM
Midmorning, sunny and warm, with a pleasant breeze from the sea keeping things from getting too hot or muggy.

samduke
2019-06-08, 05:33 AM
Ayris with her purple hair and light tan skin sticks out in a crowd, leading her horse laden with gear, from the boat to the docks following another woman off the boat, who she watches conjure a horse from mid-air. Deciding to stick near this one she mounts her hose and follows her into town

tallian
2019-06-10, 08:17 AM
Terfel staggers off the ship, white as a sheet. Fining a handy wagon to lean on he heaves a dribble of spit and mucus from his empty stomach. "Wretched boats." he muttered. The crossing had not been pleasant. Terfel had spent most of the time curled in his hammock clutching a bucket than anything else. As though the physical illness hadn't been enough he'd had to endure the jeering sailors the whole time as well.

By the time his body calmed itself and he was standing on less shaky legs, Faith had conjured her horse and was heading into the city, followed by Ayris with her poor horse. Cooped up on the ship for so long the poor creature looked almost as wretched as Terfel felt, but they'd both recover in a few days, with a bit of exercise and food.

That thought made Terfel aware of his own stomach - empty from seasickness and sore from cramping. Shouldering his pack he followed Faith, letting her horse clear a way through the crowd, looking for a decent tavern to get a meal that would stay down for a change.

He'd also need some supplies; without a horse the only mercenary work he'd likely get was digging latrines and his bag of arrows would barely last a training session, never mind a battle.

YoFizz
2019-06-11, 04:51 PM
"Oh boy! Finally off of tha boat. All that stinkin' water about. Happy me feets is on dry land thats for sure. I could go for just about an entire hog's worth of meat, maybe two at this point. And maybe a pint or five. Whaddya say?!" Thorarak anxiously deboards the boat and touches his tiny legs to land. He seemed to fair pretty well on the sea with a low center of gravity, but the fact is he doesn't much care for the water or the sea, he was always more comfortable with flame.

YoFizz
2019-06-11, 05:38 PM
"They never left my friend!" Thorark goes to give Faith a hearty hug

samduke
2019-06-11, 06:15 PM
Ayris wanders past Faith and Thorarak, looking at the wares for sale. Spotting a very nice quiver, she asks the merchant about it and the price. after examining the quiver she agrees to the merchant's price of 600 gp.
Turning to Faith and Thorarak. I notices some other things that could be useful in the wares that the merchant has but they are far to expensive for just me to afford.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-11, 08:47 PM
"They never left my friend!" Thorark goes to give Faith a hearty hug

To be Inserted above this:

Faith trots about the market by the Port. She stops, haggles with a few merchants. She stumbles upon a Riding store, and browses their riding wares.

Faith comes across a Saddle, a deep brown leather with golden indentations of a rearing horse on either side. The trim about the saddle is a similar gold, trailing up to the golden pommel. The saddle seems to shimmer in the sunlight.

She runs her hand along the saddle...
How much...? She initiates the arduous back and forth that is haggling with Faith.
Well, this is no ordinary saddle... The merchant starts...

After wearing each other down some, the two agree on a fair price of 900 gp, and Faith purchases the saddle. She mounts it upon her noble steed, Psalm, and sells her previous, used saddle to the merchant at 50% price of it's original 10 gp value (5 gold).

As Faith continues on her steed, she feels a sense of sturdiness, a confidence in Psalm. A magical effect, to be sure. Their bond was already something other-earthly, but this enhanced it only further.

Faith, overtly satisfied with her purchase and her ability to get an item of great value to her at a reasonable price, continued about the market. She browsed some weaponry stores, heavy armor shops, and eventually came across a shop selling fine cloaks - some of which were magical. Faith comes across a shining white cloak, magical in nature. A cloak of protection. She's able to haggle some with the merchant before settling on a price of 1600 gp.

She continues about, hearing some rumors of trouble in the jungle, golden cities, etc. She then seeks out her old friends to seek adventure as a party once again!

She finds Thororak, Ho! My sturdy friend! Have you found your land legs yet?

YoFizz
2019-06-12, 04:47 PM
"Eh, who needs items when ya got some good company and dry land?! Come on, let's meet some locals... meads on me!

Tallytrev813
2019-06-12, 05:27 PM
"Eh, who needs items when ya got some good company and dry land?! Come on, let's meet some locals... meads on me!

With a smirk, Faith heads with Thor to the nearest watering hole. She ties off Psalm, pats her old friend on the back, and heads inside.

YoFizz
2019-06-12, 05:51 PM
"Watch this y'all" Thorarak kicks open the door

"A round on me for everyone who be chanting Thorark's name!"

samduke
2019-06-12, 10:34 PM
Ayris following faith and thorarak into the tavern ever watchful, looking out for trouble

The Kool
2019-06-13, 04:29 PM
Turning to the East side of the harbor, the group follows some basic directions from the sailors. In that direction, they're told, lies the Red Bazaar and the Thundering Lizard. The former is a market where daily needs may be purchased, ranging from slabs of dinosaur meat to woven baskets and shawls, along with several items that are of use in the tropical climate such as insect repellent. The Thundering Lizard, meanwhile, is the favorite tavern of the sailors, and it is to that location that Thororak cuts the straightest line possible.

Parting ways for a short time at the door to the tavern, Ayris and Faith seek out Ekene-Afa, one of the merchant princes, with whom they had contacted previously about a magical saddle and quiver that they wished to purchase. She was more than amenable, if a bit brusque, and the price was soon agreed upon and the funds handed over, speeding them back on their way to Thororak and Terfel.

Thor, ever bold and forward, wasted no time in getting the entire tavern shouting his name at the top of their lungs. The dozen or so sailors in the building quickly drink their fill, and the volume level in the building easily doubles by the time the others return. Songs are being (drunkenly) sung, games of chance are springing up in the corners, and the ale flows freely.

YoFizz
2019-06-13, 04:42 PM
"See that? That's how you make an entrance! Whether or not these people know what we've done, we know. We know that we're heroes, and we deserve a little fun and fanfare, so drink it in... LITERALLY AND FIGURATIVELY!

Thorarak was in much higher spirits than the rest of the gang has seen him in before, this was clearly his way of blowing off steam and celebrating a job well done with his closest comrades.

(ooc: how much gold is a whole tavern's worth of rounds?)

The Kool
2019-06-13, 04:48 PM
((a single gold coin will keep the drinks flowing for a while))

Tallytrev813
2019-06-13, 05:13 PM
Faith mingles with the townsfolk in the commotion created by Thor's chanting. She inquires about some of the goings on around town. Faith eventually has a flagon with a few particularly drunken sailors who, after getting only slightly choked for attempting some inappropriate things, explain to Faith stories of the blight affecting the surrounding jungle begging to be cleansed, and another set of rumors surrounding a lost City of Gold.

A blight, you say? Goodness, that's certainly a strain on the port, I'm sure. What else can you tell me about this blight, and this City of Gold?

YoFizz
2019-06-13, 05:47 PM
Thorarak climbs onto the bar and holds up a sack of 10gold "OI! You all see this? Your new hero, Thorarak Flameforge, has paid for all of you to drink all night all I ask in return is music, dancin', and being merry!" He plops the coin into the bartenders hand, he promptly hops down and apologizes for getting his bar dirty with his boots and begins to dance with anyone who will join him.

The Kool
2019-06-13, 09:54 PM
The barkeep blinks several times, and after a few moments he picks up one of the gold pieces and bites it. Coming away with a grin, he flips it into the air then tucks the sack behind the bar, wiping away the dirt with his sleeve. "Not at all! Be as merry as you like, my stout friend!" Over the course of the afternoon the news spreads until the tavern is a hotbed of partying that evening, music and dancing and cheers for more. For better or worse, the newest heroes in town have gotten the town's attention.

Time is gradually shifting into the evening with this post and the following. If you have anything you want to take care of during the day, this is the time to do it, otherwise you're assumed to be fraternizing and partying.

For Faith, rolling for six hours of wandering around, talking to people, and gathering rumors.
Insight [roll0]
Insight [roll1]
Insight [roll2]
Insight [roll3]
Insight [roll4]
Insight [roll5]

Faith hears a lot of rumors and gossip, but a few in particular stand out as noteworthy or potentially useful.

"I've heard that miles and miles up the Olung river, past the Laughing Gorge, there's a monastery hanging on the side of a plateau that's inhabited by birdfolk. My cousin's a wilderness guide, and he said his buddy saw them holding the last royal heir of Chult as their prisoner!"

"You've heard of the city of Mezro, right? Well, you're never gonna believe this, but it wasn't actually destroyed in the Spellplague. The ruins left behind? All an illusion! I heard a pale-skinned man whispering this to a dinosaur man with a big sword. He smelled of honeysuckle... The dinosaur, not the other guy. You ever seen a dinosaur man..?"

"Careful around Snapping Turtle Bay. It didn't get its name from the little ones, no; the snapping turtles there are huge. One of them's as big as a house, we call him King Toba. You should see him surface at sunset, the gemstones embedded in his shell glitter like a second sun...!"

"You know, there was a time when Chult was unified under a single god. Ubtao used to guide the people here, until he tired of their constant bickering and warring. Since then the Chultans have turned to the worship of other gods, some of which were tricksters and deceivers."

Tallytrev813
2019-06-14, 02:20 AM
Faith mingles with the townsfolk and picks up on a few rumors. She leaves mid-day to pick up some rations and horse feed (10 days worth of each) and puts them in Psalms saddlebags prior to returning to the bar.

She also speaks to the Barkeep, inquiring as to whether Thor's 10 gold also covered lodging.

She then returns to the festivities, making a mental note of the rumors going around the town, particularly this one about the last Royal heir of Chult near the laughing river.

She spends the rest of her evening partaking in the merriment, embarrassing some of the locals in arm wrestling matches and drinking some of the so-called men under the table.

samduke
2019-06-14, 05:05 AM
Ayris not much for the exuberant noise of the bar, wanders over to check out a room, Innkeep, how much for a room for the night for my self and my 3 friends, 2 rooms should work as long as there are 2 beds in each (Terfel & Thorarack - Faith & Ayris) and she pays the inkeeper taking the keys and delivering them to each member before heading off to the room to get away from the noise

YoFizz
2019-06-14, 11:56 AM
As the party is good and going, Thorarak slips away briefly. While there is still sun in the sky and the stores are still open, he knows these moments don't last long and he wanted to prepared for the worst. He tries to find a jeweler and purchase 300g worth of diamonds in case he had to cast Revivify.

flat 20 to find the jeweler: [roll0] +4 for investigation, +7 for perception
also, let me know how you want me to approach these later? just make two separate rolls or do it like this or whatever

Thorarak promptly returns to the Thundering Lizard to resume partying and dancing

The Kool
2019-06-14, 12:07 PM
Purchasing two rooms for the night will be 1gp.

Thor is quickly directed to the Jewel Market on the west side of the city. The market is well patrolled by armed guards, those present seem comfortable and wealthy, and the 300gp worth of diamonds isn't hard to find. It takes the form of a small pouch with half a dozen small gemstones in it. While out and about, Thor has to dodge a small rainstorm. Well, small in duration, but fierce in rainfall. Everyone around looks to be waiting it out, and after only a few minutes, it lets up and he can resume his journey, though the streets now feel like a sauna.

samduke
2019-06-14, 09:42 PM
paying the gold she finds the party members handing the "boys" keys for 1 room and then finds faith handing her the other key to the room they would share. then heads to the room, (*room: unlock, open, go in check everything, close door, lock door, take off armor go to bed.)

tallian
2019-06-15, 11:52 AM
As Terfel followed Faith's horse he stopped at a flether's shop and bought some arrows. He looked into an armourer's shop hoping to find a better sword. "These are good, but more decorative than functional." He fished around for a contact that dealt more with soldiers than officers. He also looked around for a horse merchant, but that could wait for now.

When he got the inn he laughed at Thororak's antics. He wasn't sure ale would go down well, but the air and the walk had helped and once some food stayed down, Terfel's thirst returned. The sea voyage had left him with a week stomach and was quickly stumbling around the inn, until a more sober patron helped Terfel to his room.

YoFizz
2019-06-16, 02:32 AM
"HO HO! Terfel, come along lad, let Thorarak take care of ya." He ducks under Terfel's arm to give him some leverage to walk. "Don't worry little one, I've got ya, and don't worry about nothing. I've had my fun. I'll turn in for the night too."

As they get to the room Thorark dumps Terfel onto the bed, takes his boots off for him and throws a blanket over him. "Alright, alright there ya are."

Thorark then locks the door behind him and makes sure if there is a window that it is secure and locked as well. He lays in bed grinning ear to ear as he falls asleep to the sound of the people in the bar partying until the ale runs dry.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-16, 12:35 PM
Faith, having seen the last of her companions turn in for the night, follows them up shortly after, turning in for the night.

The Kool
2019-06-20, 03:04 PM
The evening passes peacefully, and the crew wakes to a raging tropical storm early in the morning. They aren't the only ones in the tavern taking shelter, but as they grab breakfast and recover from a night of drinking, they are approached by a young elf with an outfit that stands out in this establishment as being made of richer silks. He speaks up first as he nears them. "Are you the heroes of the dragon queen's invasion? My lady would like to speak with you... when the weather lets up enough to return."

YoFizz
2019-06-21, 11:07 AM
"A hero's respite is never long. I will be happy to meet your lady."

Tallytrev813
2019-06-21, 03:02 PM
Aye. We shall meet with her.