PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help choosing spells for Wild Magic sorcerer

bendking
2019-06-08, 03:35 AM
Hey all, just started a new campaign and figured I'd choose ahead of time which spells to use each level.
Would be nice to hear some feedback, as I'm trying to have a diverse and always helpful spell list.
Keep in mind we already have a Warlock blaster, so I'm not choosing many offensive spells, and mainly going to use Chaos Bolt/Firebolt as a dump for my Tides of Chaos.
Here it is, for the first 10 levels:
1 - Chaos Bolt, Sleep
2 - Chaos Bolt, Sleep, Mage Armor
3 - Chaos Bolt, Sleep, Mage Armor | Suggestion
4 - Chaos Bolt, Shield, Mage Armor | Suggestion, Web
5 - Shield, Mage Armor | Suggestion, Web | Slow, Haste
6 - Shield, Mage Armor | Suggestion, Web | Slow, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern
7 - Shield, Mage Armor | Mirror Image, Suggestion, Web | Slow, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern | Storm Sphere
8 - Shield, Mage Armor | Mirror Image, Suggestion, Web | Slow, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern | Storm Sphere, Greater Invisibility
9 - Shield, Mage Armor | Mirror Image, Suggestion | Slow, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern | Storm Sphere, Greater Invisibility, Confusion | Hold Monster
10 - Shield, Mage Armor | Mirror Image, Suggestion | Slow, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern | Storm Sphere, Greater Invisibility, Confusion | Hold Monster, Animate Objects

Jerrykhor
2019-06-10, 02:03 AM
Personally, I prefer Chromatic Orb over Chaos Bolt.

Also, i like Misty Step and Hold Person. I always take them whenever i can.

bendking
2019-06-10, 03:39 AM
Personally, I prefer Chromatic Orb over Chaos Bolt.

Also, i like Misty Step and Hold Person. I always take them whenever i can.

It's better, yeah, but not as thematic for a Wild Mage.

Corran
2019-06-10, 04:45 AM
What will your metamagic be? I ask, because it's usually best to first decide on that, and then pick your spells. This way, you can adjust your spell selection to fit well your metamagic options.

Wild sorcerers do get bend luck, which is kind like a metamagic (it resembles heightened spell very much; you can even combine them if I am not mistaken). Spells that play well with bend luck (and thus with heighten), are the likes of levitate, banishment, polymorph and hold monster. So due to having bend luck, I would make sure to pick a least one of these spells. Keep in mind though that these spells wont work against anything with legendary resistance, but they will still have their uses.

sophontteks
2019-06-10, 06:51 AM
What will your metamagic be? I ask, because it's usually best to first decide on that, and then pick your spells. This way, you can adjust your spell selection to fit well your metamagic options.

It looks like the OP is going for careful and twinned based on their spell selection.

OP you have too many concentration spells, and no utility spells. Since you can only ever concentrate on a single spell, think about which spells in your list will get the most use and get rid of the rest.

Blindness/deafness is a great non-concentration spell for your character idea. I'd replace web with this.

Counterspell, and fireball are always good, even if the warlock can do them too. These make good replacements for slow or haste (I'd pick one of the two.)

Finally a utility spell for out-of-combat problems would be nice. Sorcerers struggle with utility. Try to pick one that is universally useful. My suggestions are enlarge/reduce, or thunderstep. But there are a lot of options.

Enlarge/Reduce gives advantage on strength checks AKA athletics checks, and it can allow your martials to grapple dragons and other huge creatures. But the real use is casting it on objects. You can enlarge or reduce objects to get through barriers and set up traps.

Thunderstep can allow you to teleport past barriers and take a friend along. It also allows you to rescue someone who is in a dangerous situation. It'll even break grapples.

Dalebert
2019-06-10, 08:05 AM
I'd seriously reconsider Careful if you are going that route. I had buyer's remorse after being told you could make a web that your allies could ignore only to have that corrected to it only applying to the initial save.

I'm of the opinion that sorcerers can't justify Mage Armor with their limited spells known. My wild magic sorc dipped a level of Bard for light armor and a nice buff of spells known.

Chaos Bolt (avg dmg 14 IF another enemy is near) is pretty bad but I get that it's thematic for you. I guess you want a good attack spell to apply ToC adv to. If so Chromatic Orb let's you control the dmg type (avg dmg of 13.5 regardless).

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-10, 01:03 PM
As a Sorcerer, I'd recommend focusing on spells that have multiple possible effects in various scenarios. You don't get many spells, so they have to solve more than one problem.

A few examples:

Catapult can be used to launch an object into a preferable situation. Combine it with Subtle Spell, and now the "Legendary King's Sword" happens to "choose" its wielder. Or Ready it to shoot an enemy's thrown weapon back at him, or shoot a stone at the nearest enemy should no enemy throw a weapon before your next turn.

Enlarge/Reduce is a cheap method for unlocking a door, while it can also serve to buff your Monk or your Fighter into doing battle on your behalf.

You don't want to ONLY be a Sorcerer during combat, but you don't have the number of spells needed to have a plethora of options. So focus on spells that can be used in almost any scenario, or at least be used in almost any day (so if it IS a combat-specific spell, make sure it can be used in every combat).

Nhorianscum
2019-06-10, 01:50 PM
The level 10 list has a whopping 9 concentration spells on it.

Trim that to 3-4 tops.

Fly is very good. Arguably mandatory if no other caster takes it.