PDA

View Full Version : Child Support [IC]

John Cribati
2019-06-08, 05:04 AM
The Crimson Fang Inn and Tavern is well-known as the starting point for the Order of the Ruby Vipers. It sees many customers and patrons, and with all the money flowing in, it's far from seedy- in fact, it's kept rather clean and tidy, despite the occasional rowdy laughter and spilled drink.

It's also where you decide to look first. After all, it's practically a museum dedicated to your parents. If anyone, anywhere has information, it probably comes through here.

By some machination of fate itself, you all seem to be here at the same time.

The right time.

aguaracu
2019-06-10, 04:15 PM
Zasheir paused at the door of the Crimson Fang and considered. The customers who entered ahead of him were better dressed than he was. His clothes and armor were of middling quality at best and the dirt from the road wasn't doing them any favours. He muttered a few words and his clothes seemed cleaner and slightly less frayed. He made sure his hair covered his ears and went in.

While ordering a drink, Zasheir surveyed the other guests. Previously he would have been looking the affluent and overconfident, potential prey for the crew he used to work with. Now, though, he was on his own and looking for clues to his mother's past. This establishment had spent years trading on her reputation, all Zasheir wanted in exchange was a contact. Preferably with a former associate but Zasheir would settle for a scholar or similar, he didn't expect his search to be quick or straightforward.

Zasheir casts Disguise Self on himself, but makes the effects on his appearance subtle.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-11, 06:05 PM
As Maximus approached the sign out front of the building, he took out a letter and unfolded it.
The Crimson Fang Inn and Tavern... he verified from the letter.

He looked back to the letter, and reread the last few lines again,
"The Crimson Fang is where you'll find what you seek, son. You will do great things. Please remember, Torm acts through you - you are what separates the light from the darkness. I am proud of you, Son.

~Elrich

He'd read it so much on his trek to the Tavern that it was ingrained in his mind. "You are what separates the light from the darkness"

Maximus took a deep breath in, and turned his gaze upwards to the tavern.

He walked forward, with a shaky sense of confidence. Maximus was not a shaky man, though. He stood a hefty 6'2, and was on the better side of 200 lbs. He was naturally athletic, but clearly had been training - as someone doesn't just LOOK like that naturally. His father's shield secured to his back, his spear in his hand, he continued forward.

As he opened the front door, a dimly lit room spanned his vision ahead. He stepped through the threshold into the Tavern, and symbolically, into the beginning of his story.

Maximus scanned the room. He saw no one of note, a few people at the bar sharing a flaggon, a father pointing his son's stair to a plaque on the wall engraved with a familiar symbol, a serpent. Next to it, the mounted head of a particularly foul looking creature. In fact, the walls were laden with different accolades, accomplishments, and conquests of his fathers party.

Maximus felt...dwarfed. Minuscule, compared to these feats logged in the history books. How was he to live up to...all of this?

He stepped forward, not sure what he was looking for, he walked up to the bar and ordered a drink, and observed the patrons...looking for some kind of sign...

Hypersmith
2019-06-13, 12:43 PM
Malagak was in a sour mood, and it showed from the moment he walked through the door. All this wealth. All this prestige. Shameful. He's a typically huge half-orc at just short of seven feet, brownish-red eyes deep set in a large skull, with a slight underbite - enough to allow two small snaggletoothed canines to poke out over his upper lip. His skin is far paler than the usual mottled greens of his kind, but his large frame and slightly pointed ears leaves no question of his heritage.

He tries not to let his scowl be too obvious - it was bad manners - but the tightly drawn face he puts on instead is just as off putting. He stands aimlessly, not seeking to drink, simply watching the other patrons go about their business for the day.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-13, 01:12 PM
Maximus, who had taken up a position leaning against the bar sipping on his flagon of ale, felt the air sucked from the room. The barkeep took a long pause with his rag he was cleaning a cup with as his mouth remained open and stagnant, his skin went somewhat pale.

Maximus looked to his left, to his right, patrons had frozen in their boots, any movement was cautious and calculated, everyone's sight seemed fixated behind Max, towards the door. A small child, tugging on his fathers hand, exclaimed A Dragon, dad! Look! It's a Dragon! Maximus took a slow turn, wrenching his neck around, mindful of his drink he's gripping in his hand.

An Orc stands by the door, motionless...scowling. Maximus had never seen an Orc before, and the creatures facial expression was undecipherable to him - though it appeared as though maybe he needed to use the facilities? Max couldn't be sure. He towered by the door, intentions unclear, scanning the room.

You! Sir! Can I interest you in a drink, or have ye some other intentions for your afternoon? He attempted to defuse the room, deescalation was an art his father had taught him. The best fight is the one avoided with words he'd always said.

Maximus raised his flagon in a friendly but hesitant manner, encouraging the monstrous humanoid.

John Cribati
2019-06-13, 06:55 PM
Zashier takes his drink to one of the smaller tables- it's built for two, but at the moment the second stool is unoccupied. A few tables away, a hooded figure sitting by themself seems to be similarly scoping out the place. Their attention is initially drawn to the surly-looking orc near the entrance, but they look around for a while, performing an obvious double-take once their gaze passes over Zashier. In the split second of eye contact, Zashier sees a glimmer in the figure's eye.

They do not approach, but instead continue to scope out the place

Hypersmith
2019-06-14, 05:30 AM
Malagak frowns at the human approaching him. It irritates him beyond reasonable means to have the man approach him so amicably when he himself was in such a sour mood. So clearly a shot at keeping things peaceful that it felt insulting. Can't a man stand around and frown in peace, without other's sensitive little spawn making him out to vs a monster? To make matters worse, he's upset at his own irritation, and with no outlet but to frown even deeper.

He finally speaks to the man, his voice grating. Room be damned. "Skip the stupid tactics and just tell me I'm scary. Don't you have anything better to do than butt into my business?"
His mood makes his words harsher than usual, but there's an evil satisfaction in letting that mood loose on others. He'll regret it later.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-16, 12:28 PM
Aye, I do have something better to do... Maximus’ jovial tone recedes. His mug lowers to his side, and his tone lowers. ...and that’s ensuring these people are safe. Maximus takes a sip of his drink, attempting to appear confident by utilizing a drawn out pause in a tense environment. While Max had been trained by his father, this was his first encounter with a Orc...and a rather large one at that. What do you think? A job well done? Can I focus on something else...or is there still...work to do?

Hypersmith
2019-06-16, 02:22 PM
Malagak is unfazed by the man's attempts. If anything, his bravado only makes him lean further into his anger. "Aye there's work to do. Go hunt a bear. Go kill a monster. At present, your idea of protection is aggravating a man minding his own business. Or is that you can't see an orc without thinking it's on the verge of attacking someone?" He grimaces, a show of teeth far more than a smile, carefully crossing his arms. "Go on. Show them how big a hero you are, bare your blade at the big bad orc who's here for a drink."

John Cribati
2019-06-16, 02:48 PM
The cloaked woman approaches the two arguing men.

"No need to cause such a scene. It's happy hour! Buy a drink! I'd rather not have the mood ruined by a foolish misunderstanding." Here, she gets between them and gives Maximus a small, but firm, shove back, before turning to address Malagak in orcish. "<You'll find, Little Cousin, that your ire is ill spent on ignorant younglings such as him. It's best to save it for the truly belligerent humans.>>"

While you can understand her well enough, you can tell that she speaks with some sort of a regional accent and dialect.

Hypersmith
2019-06-16, 04:41 PM
Pleasently surprised to find someone else speaking orcish, accent or not, Malagak has the decency to appear a little sheepish at having to be told off by someone smaller than him. He replies in kind. <<You're right. But little cousin? Do I know you?>>

John Cribati
2019-06-16, 05:53 PM
"<<Probably not. It's just something we say where I'm from. We call the green orcs our 'Cousins from the valley'.>>" She pulls her cloak back.

Her skin is more grey than green, and her featires are overall softer than you'd expect from an orc.

Maximus and Malagak, roll Knowledge. Malagak has advantage.

Knowledge[/S] History Check Results"]
She's an Orc from the northern mountains, at the border between human and Dwarven lands.
Mountain Orcs tend to be a bit pudgier as insulation against the cold, but are no less muscular beneath it
Instead of furry ears like most orcs, Mountain orcs have furry backs.
The woman talking to Malagak doesn't seem to be a full-blooded Orc.
It's not common for a mountain orc to come this far south. At least, not on their own.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-16, 06:03 PM
Maximus braced his momentum from the backward nudge with a step. He collected himself, and looked about the room, then up at the walls and achievements again, realizing his misstep before returning to his drink. He was frustrated - all the pressure spread about the room weighing down on him had affected him, creating problems to solve where there were none. Attempting to manufacture heroism. He gulped his drink down, embarrassed, as the two conversed in a foreign tongue. Maximus paid for his drink and headed for the door, feeling inclined to get out from under his fathers achievements. Fresh air would do him good, he thought...he took a last look up at the pictures above the bar...

John Cribati
2019-06-16, 06:19 PM
Maximus's eyes scan the wall of achievements yet again, and as if in mockery of his thoughts, he sees his father's face.

It's a portrait of some sort, that takes up a good amount of space on the wall above the bar- it's a surprise you missed it.

The back row consists of three human men. Elric the Pious- a tall, bearded Knight in brilliant armor is on the left. On the right, a slightly shorter but much brawnier man in heavier armor. They're both smiling broadly, with an arm slung over the man in between, who is much more averagely built, and trying to appear nonchalant by picking his fingernails with a knife.

An elven maid takes up the center of the front row, wearing light chainmail with and weilding a glittering dagger, its sheath bearing the blank scroll and lit candle of Oghma, god of Knowledge. An orcmaid is on either side of her. The young woman on the right has a flowing woodsman's cloak and is brandishing a spear made of fine wood. The other is chubbier and softer-looking, with grey skin. She's resting a massive wood-and-stone club across her shoulder.

(Maximus can still make that Knowledge History check if he so desires)

Hypersmith
2019-06-16, 10:17 PM
<<I haven't much experience with other types of orcs myself, unfortunately. But cousin seems an appropriate title.>> Malagak grunts, signaling the barkeep to bring a drink over. <<So what brings a rare specimen like you all the way out here alone? Are you alone?>>
Malagaks earlier tension seems to melt away quicker by the minute as he speaks to the orc, his lip curling into an appreciative smile.

aguaracu
2019-06-18, 06:35 PM
Zasheir spotted the reaction from the hooded figure and would have approached her, but she soon had her hands full stopping a fight from breaking out between the orc and the human and Zasheir wasn't going to get in her way while she smoothed things over.

"Mind if I sit here?" Zasheir asked as he approached a table.
"The Vipers certainly draw a crowd these days, I wonder if they were quite as popular back when they were actually here?"

Zasheir discreetly kept an eye on the hooded figure while he started working the room. He wanted to know why he drew her attention and would find a pretext to talk to her as soon as it seemed reasonable to do so.

Edit: Granma and spilling

John Cribati
2019-06-18, 10:48 PM
<<I haven't much experience with other types of orcs myself, unfortunately. But cousin seems an appropriate title.>> Malagak grunts, signaling the barkeep to bring a drink over. <<So what brings a rare specimen like you all the way out here alone? Are you alone?>>
Malagaks earlier tension seems to melt away quicker by the minute as he speaks to the orc, his lip curling into an appreciative smile.

"<<I have family in the area.>>" Her tone is friendly, but the deflection is obvious. "<<As to what I'm doing here, I'm researching an odd magical item. What about you?>>"

"Mind if I sit here?" Zasheir asks as he approached a table.
"The Vipers certainly draw a crowd these days, I wonder if they were quite as popular back when they were actually here?"

The table's occupants are three young, bright-eyed humans; A girl with a longbow and wearing hunting attire, with a big dog lounging by her feet; A lithe young man in a dark amber acolyte's robe whose face is tattoed with an odd symbol; and a burly young woman who seems to be the oldest of the bunch (for whatever that's worth), wearing a grey monk's habit.

"Just in these parts initially," the hunter says. "They didn't really get on the map until they stopped Burghann and Dhok from destroying the castle Amondra. Name's Claire by the way. This is Zann." She nudges at her hound, which snuffles out what is presumably a greeting.

"Evan," says the tattooed boy.

"Jess."

Hypersmith
2019-06-19, 04:35 AM
Malagak frowns, gesturing a large hand towards the pictures on the wall.
<<I came to see history.>>
He's clearly unwilling to expand his explanation.
<<The humans around here give you trouble before?>>

aguaracu
2019-06-19, 06:16 PM
"Zash." he replied as he sat down gingerly, making sure to not tread on the dog's tail. "Are there people from back then still around?"

So, ranger, cleric (or sorcerer? or some other magic user?) and monk?
Zasheir will network, make contacts and try to get any hint of possible sources relating to the Fangs.

John Cribati
2019-06-20, 08:57 AM
<<The humans around here give you trouble before?>>

"<<The surrounding area has always been more diverse. Humans who actually live around here are used to it. It's the folks from out of town who do the most meddling.>>"

"Zash." he replied as he sat down gingerly, making sure to not tread on the dog's tail. "Are there people from back then still around?"

"Some of the older folks at the mages' guild have some stories if that's what you're looking for." Evan offers.

Jess scoffs at that.
"Half-drunk tall tales, more like. If you're interested in actual history, you want to go to the temple of Oghma. Got an immense library. Not very well sorted, though.

Hypersmith
2019-06-20, 05:14 PM
Malagak looks pointedly at the man who had harassed him earlier. <<People drawn to ask these old stories, wanting to become heroes too. Sounds like a huge load of trouble to me.>>

John Cribati
2019-06-20, 05:37 PM
"<Can't really blame people for wanting to leave their mark on history. Rudeness notwithstanding. In fact, if all goes well, I'll have my own name attached to a spell soon enough, just like that Bigby fellow. I can see it now: Grenuxa's Aura Tracking.>"

I have no idea why the site needed words to make the post longer but here we are or something.

Hypersmith
2019-06-20, 08:40 PM
<<Hah, I can't lag behind. Have someone wrote down Malagak's tracking over rocky terrain one day. Seems magic is your path in life then? Props to you. I never had the aptitude my sister did, but I learned a little bit myself. So does this aura tracking you're working on have anything to do with the magic item you're looking for? >>
Malagak grins easily.

John Cribati
2019-06-21, 05:58 PM
Grenuxa seems surprised at being caught out, and maybe slightly annoyed, but then she smirks mischievously. "<<Yes, but also no.>>"

She offers no further explanation.

Hypersmith
2019-06-21, 06:05 PM
"<<Non-answers are a cop out and you know it.">> Malagak teases, but doesn't push further.

John Cribati
2019-06-21, 08:14 PM
"<<We met a few minutes ago, and have just now - indirectly- introduced ourselves. Your willingness to share intimate details about your life doesn't mean I'm obligated to do the same.>>

Malagak has to use context clues to parse that last bit- Northern Orcish seems to be a far more wordy dialect than he's used to.

Hypersmith
2019-06-23, 05:47 AM
Malagak raises an eyebrow. <<I meant no offense. A joke. Maybe a dialect difference?>>

John Cribati
2019-06-24, 06:34 AM
"<<My apologies, then. I do not wish to be hostile. But I suppose we should cut to the chase. >>

She reaches into a pocket and pulls out a small object, which she fumbles and it skitters across the table before she very loudly slams a hand over it.

A golden, serpent-shaped brooch with a ruby set in the eye

Blushing, she quickly slides it back into her pocket, hoping nobody saw that she didn't want to.

"<<Ahem. Well. You ever notice that nobody really knows much about the Vipers' residential lives? There's an adequate amount of knowledge about tgeir childhoods, and a few anecdotes here and there, but they all cut off abruptly after they broke up the Wool Road slave cartel. That's because these have a moderately powerful illusion tied to them. They still appeared as themselves to people who knew them, but to everyone else, they looked just different enough to be lookalikes. Actually, there might be a bit of enchantment in there, too, now that I think about it. Point is, they give off a specific magical signature. Enough that I can tell there are four people in this very establishment who have one on their peraon: You, me, the half-elf, and... the man you were arguing with.>>

Hypersmith
2019-06-24, 02:50 PM
It was Malagak's turn to become rather cold. At the initial sight of the brooch, he stills, then looks warily at the half elf and human, then back to Grenuxa, caution dominating his gaze. <<And what do you intend to do with that info? And the terrible coincidence that four of... us are here at once?>>

Tallytrev813
2019-06-24, 03:01 PM
Maximus headed for the door, feeling overly disappointed in his afternoon. He had come with the expectation of...something. Long travel, heavy history and lore, family lineage tied to a heroic group of adventurers all leading up to a short verbal confrontation with an Orc at a bar. It was all so anticlimactic.

As he reached for the door handle, a loud thud caught his attention, and the shimmer of blood red ruby was visible in his peripheral vision. His head turned slightly, just enough to catch a glimpse of a serpent brooch with a ruby, striking similar to the brooch Maximus had found which belonged to his father. The symbol of the Ruby Vipers.

His hand pulled back from the door for a moment as he collected his thoughts. His relationship with the Orc was strained, and it would likely be best to avoid the two - but the Brooch was too much to ignore. He would have to take his chances with the Orcs again.

He took a few steps over to the two who were speaking to each other in foreign tongue not familiar to Max, despite his father's stress on multi-lingual pursuits and Max's knowledge of several other languages. Orcish, obviously, he was not proficient with.

Excuse me, I apologize for intruding...and for our interaction earlier... He lowered his voice, keeping an eye for any prying listeners. ...but that Brooch...I know that Brooch. I must ask...how did you acquire such a piece?

John Cribati
2019-06-24, 03:19 PM
<<And what do you intend to do with that info? And the terrible coincidence that four of... us are here at once?>>

She shrugs. "<<Nothing. My ultimate goal is to find the bastard who took what wasn't rightfully his, recover the loot, and then shove a rather large spiked club up his rear end for good measure. Of course, that's my intent for now. That may change depending on whether you want to get in my way.>>"

Excuse me, I apologize for intruding...and for our interaction earlier... He lowered his voice, keeping an eye for any prying listeners. ...but that Brooch...I know that Brooch. I must ask...how did you acquire such a piece?

"And the cat has escaped the bag entirely," she sighs. "I don't know much about your situation, but I'm pretty sure I acquired mine in a manner that's superficially similar to the way you acquired yours. And whatever machination of fate brought four of us here on the same day, I'm pretty sure we're here for superficially similar reasons. The only question, which I just posed to this one, is whether or not you intend to stand in my way."

Tallytrev813
2019-06-24, 05:25 PM
Like you said yourself, my suspicion is that we're here for similar reasons. I have no intention of impeding your goals so far as I can see. Only righting an old wrong - likely same as you. An enemy of my enemy, and all.

Maximus turns to the other Orc, Curious situation, us all arriving here around the same time. Doesn't seem like a very likely coincidence.

Hypersmith
2019-06-24, 07:19 PM
"I have no intention of "standing in your way." As it is, I want to find the thief."
He indicates the large painting with his chin, then tilts his head towards the half elf mid conversation. "Whoever you got the brooch from don't matter to me. Just what you want to do now. And how abrasive you are."
The last words are delivered deadpan.

aguaracu
2019-06-27, 05:54 PM
It is Zasheir's turn to do a double take, although by instinct he tries to hide it. "Well, the temple of Oghma might be interesting then. Are you folks staying in town?" If the strangers are amenable, Zasheir will swap contact information with them, giving the local branch of his guild as his contact point.

"If you'll excuse me, I would like to talk to some people, see if they're alright." Zasheir leaves the table and walks up to the group with the serpent brooch.

"I hope you don't mind me interrupting, but I noticed you have an interesting piece of jewelry with you. I've only seen it's like once before and it has a personal significance beyond it's craftmanship."

Deception [roll0] to hide his eyes boggling when the stranger produced the brooch.

John Cribati
2019-06-28, 02:32 PM
It is Zasheir's turn to do a double take, although by instinct he tries to hide it. "Well, the temple of Oghma might be interesting then. Are you folks staying in town?" If the strangers are amenable, Zasheir will swap contact information with them, giving the local branch of his guild as his contact point.

Jess is a monk of the temple of Oghma, while Evan offers the local Mage's guild as his contact. Claire isn't affiliated with any guilds.

"I hope you don't mind me interrupting, but I noticed you have an interesting piece of jewelry with you. I've only seen it's like once before and it has a personal significance beyond it's craftmanship."

Grenuxa is immensely annoyed, though mostly at her own failings. "Yeah, I'd bet. Join the club. Well, join their branch of the club, anyway. I already have my path, and unless any of you have knowledge of or interest in the intricacies of spell research, you probably won't feel fulfilled walking it with me. Though I suppose if you get there first, you could take an extra whack at him for me."

Deception [roll0] to hide his eyes boggling when the stranger produced the brooch.

Jess seemed to notice that Zashiel noticed something, but her attempts to eavesdrop on the group are forestalled by the distance between the two tables, as well as the general ambient noise.

aguaracu
2019-07-01, 06:05 PM
"The both of you bear these as well?" Zasheir looked at the others and considered.

"But if we share the same goal, would it not make sense to cooperate?" he asked Grenuxa. "Why else go to the trouble of coming here? And to do so when we are present?" There was increasing doubt in his voice.

Insight [roll0] Is Grenuxa on the level?

John Cribati
2019-07-02, 06:38 AM
"As I told Malagak here, I was originally here to research a magic item. I truly did not expect to find the three of you here. The fact that you are either an immensely strong coincidence, or something that's happening on your end.

She speaks the truth about the serendipity of you four meeting here, but you get the feeling she's being purposely vague about the item she's apparently researching.

aguaracu
2019-07-02, 05:43 PM
"You recognised us without the brooches, how?" Then Zasheir remembered where they were. "We need to talk, but I think we've drawn too much attention to ourselves. Shall we go somewhere else?" he asks the others.

Hypersmith
2019-07-05, 10:38 PM
Malagak grumbles quietly. "Too many questions too fast, elf. It's bad enough to have you walking up announcing things, don't assume people want to accomplish their goals with you too."

<<Is there anyone who didn't see you fumble that thing?>>

Tallytrev813
2019-07-06, 05:41 PM
Maximus takes a moment, letting the others ask their questions. He's been overzealous one to many times already today - and his father had engrained in his brain that mistakes were OK - but only if you learn from them. He feinted a drink of ale, he'd need his wits about him today, he thought.

aguaracu
2019-07-09, 09:56 AM
Malagak grumbles quietly. "Too many questions too fast, elf. It's bad enough to have you walking up announcing things, don't assume people want to accomplish their goals with you too."

Zasheir is about make an equally sharp reply, but swallows it and then picks his words carefully. "I apologise sir, I spoke hastily. I was suprised and full of questions, surely you have questions as well? All I ask is that you," Zasheir indicates that all three people are included in this, "talk to me, preferably somewhere a bit more private."

John Cribati
2019-07-09, 12:42 PM
<<Is there anyone who didn't see you fumble that thing?>>

"<<I'm lucky it was only these two. Please don't invite any more bad luck into my life.>>
She rubs at her temple in frustration.
Alright. I'm clearly not going to be rid of you lot anytime soon. Just. Follow me before I change my mind.

She leads you to a house near the foot of a hill. Grass still grows on the rough terrain, somehow, and you see many young goats prancing about the hill, with an old-ish orc woman chasing them about and unceremoniously tossing them into a pen when she catches one. Gdenuxa introduces the party in orcish and the shepherd(?) responds in kind.

"My mother, Ubegra. Formerly of the Order of the Ruby Vipers. Now a shepherd. Might still try to brain you if you cross her, and entirely capable of doing so."

She leads you inside, down a set of stairs, and into a basement, where she touches a rune on the wall that makes the entire ceiling glow brightly. The walls are made of smooth black stone, covered in chalk-drawn sigils and diagrams. Grenuxa snatches up a metal stool lying on the floor, then hooks a foot under a table that had recently been overturned and deftly kicks it upright again, motioning for you all to sit.

You have to find your own stools. Some unlucky person had to dislodge theirs seat from the wall, where it had seemingly been thrown in a fit of rage.

Alright, what do you want to know?

aguaracu
2019-07-10, 12:50 PM
Zasheir is suprised at the arcane lighting on display, but quickly recovers from his surprise and finds a stool.
Zasheir is interested in what is on the walls, but tries not to appear too nosy. Arcana: [roll0]

Also, he is curious as to the nature of the lighting, if that is a different roll. Arcana: [roll1]

"You recognised me when you looked at me," he states, "How?"

Afterwards he asks "What do you know of the betrayal and the aftermath? What are your priorities, revenge or compensation for your mother?"

John Cribati
2019-07-10, 05:20 PM
Zasheir is interested in what is on the walls, but tries not to appear too nosy. Arcana: [roll0]

Also, he is curious as to the nature of the lighting, if that is a different roll. Arcana: [roll1]

The sigils on the wall are... Squiggly.
The ceiling, though made of stone, has half a dozen wooden tiles spread about it, each bearing the same sigil at the top of the stairs- they seen to be making use of the simple Light cantrip on a slightly larger scale.

"I actually didn't recognize you at first. It was more the fact that you'd shown up in a magical disguise that caught my eye."
She points to one of the chalk-covered walls.
In any case, I noticed the brooches with that. It's an advanced version of the Detect Magic spell, that I designed to reveal the use of specific spells. I'm currently working on a version that also shows me a mage's magical essence, and I was testing it out at the inn when I recognized the enchantment on your brooches.

You're about to ask her what she's talking about, but then she clips her own brooch on and pushes the ruby of the snake's eye inward. It clicks, and in the blink of an eye, she's a different orc.

Her grey skin has darkened a good deal. Her brow-ridge deeper as her pupils turned red; her ears- once rounded- have points now. Even the loose waves of her short brown hair have shrunken into tight curls.

In short, she looks like what you imagine Ubegra would have looked like in her younger days.

Except, not really. The real Ubegra's eyes aren't that shade of red, and the remnant of her hair that retains is original color is a much darker brown. Her nose isn't shaped like that, either.

Seeing your confusion, Grenuxa explains.

"The Vipers used these while they were 'on duty' to avoid being hounded day in and day out. They couldn't up and change how they looked entirely, but a bunch of small changes at once would be enough to make anyone second-guess if they had the right person."

"All signs point to Tobias being the one who designed these. My hope is eventually to isolate his specific magical essence and use that in a spell that will lead me to him, but that's still quite a ways off from coming to fruition. The original plan did involve taking all the treasure home, but only until Mama could get in touch with the others. But I suppose that part needs a bit of revising, now."

Hypersmith
2019-07-12, 08:26 AM
Malagak watches the proceedings as he follows carefully, slowly from the back. His eyes linger on Ubrega and he gives her a respectful nod before he forces his gaze away and back towards Grenuxa. Eventually, he speaks.
"I'd like to bump into Tobias. Don't think more needs to be said really."

aguaracu
2019-07-12, 05:41 PM
"The Vipers used these while they were 'on duty' to avoid being hounded day in and day out. They couldn't up and change how they looked entirely, but a bunch of small changes at once would be enough to make anyone second-guess if they had the right person."

"All signs point to Tobias being the one who designed these. My hope is eventually to isolate his specific magical essence and use that in a spell that will lead me to him, but that's still quite a ways off from coming to fruition."

Zasheir's face momentarily wears the look of a teenager who's just discovered that his cunning trick was already in use by his parents before he was born. He recovers and asks "Do these carry any protection against detection or tracking? Do they have any other properties?" His finger hovers over the ruby, he's clearly tempted to try it out.

"I was at the inn because I didn't know where to start," Zasheir admits. "If you did not expect us, why perform these tests there? Surely there would be a greater risk of being spotted?"

"The original plan did involve taking all the treasure home, but only until Mama could get in touch with the others. But I suppose that part needs a bit of revising, now."
"So compensation is the priority?"

John Cribati
2019-07-15, 06:01 PM
"So... The thing is, I'm not exactly very seasoned at using magic- I've spent most of my time studying the combat arts until the last six months or so. There may be other enchantments on the brooches, but if there are, I'm not sure I'd be able to identify them at my current level of study."

"The brooch is the only magical item I had, and I needed to test the spell out somewhere that I could reasonably encounter a variety of magical items. And maybe it was a bit foolish to bring the brooch, but for one, if my spell had worked as intended, I'd have been able to see if anyone else had magical items made by Tobias, and for two, on any other day, the thing wouldn't have left my pocket."

"I wouldn't say compensation is the priority, so much as it's the right thing to do after bashing his skull in."

aguaracu
2019-07-16, 04:26 PM
"So... The thing is, I'm not exactly very seasoned at using magic- I've spent most of my time studying the combat arts until the last six months or so. There may be other enchantments on the brooches, but if there are, I'm not sure I'd be able to identify them at my current level of study."

"The brooch is the only magical item I had, and I needed to test the spell out somewhere that I could reasonably encounter a variety of magical items. And maybe it was a bit foolish to bring the brooch, but for one, if my spell had worked as intended, I'd have been able to see if anyone else had magical items made by Tobias, and for two, on any other day, the thing wouldn't have left my pocket."
"Well I am glad you took that chance, I don't think I would have met any of you if you hadn't. Thank you."

"I wouldn't say compensation is the priority, so much as it's the right thing to do after bashing his skull in."

"Ha! He can't be very popular with anyone!" Zasheir is slightly taken aback at this declaration of murderous intent but then relaxes; Grenuxa is clearly exagerating.

"I wonder what could make the betrayal of his companions seem acceptable? Did he have other associates who he could join afterwards or did he intend to strike out on his own? Surely he would have plans? Hmmm."

Grenuxa is probably not one to appreciate extended musing on the motivations of villains so Zasheir tries to pull his thoughts together and then addresses everyone in the room. "I want to see my parents enjoy their just reward for their work and Tobias, um, brought to justice. We all do, right? And so, was everyone at the Fang tonight to start looking for information? We could introduce ourselves and share what we know, Grenuxa has been very generous, and we could discuss avenues of investigation?" Zasheir sounds quite tentative.

Tallytrev813
2019-07-16, 04:48 PM
"Well I am glad you took that chance, I don't think I would have met any of you if you hadn't. Thank you."

"Ha! He can't be very popular with anyone!" Zasheir is slightly taken aback at this declaration of murderous intent but then relaxes; Grenuxa is clearly exagerating.

"I wonder what could make the betrayal of his companions seem acceptable? Did he have other associates who he could join afterwards or did he intend to strike out on his own? Surely he would have plans? Hmmm."

Grenuxa is probably not one to appreciate extended musing on the motivations of villains so Zasheir tries to pull his thoughts together and then addresses everyone in the room. "I want to see my parents enjoy their just reward for their work and Tobias, um, brought to justice. We all do, right? And so, was everyone at the Fang tonight to start looking for information? We could introduce ourselves and share what we know, Grenuxa has been very generous, and we could discuss avenues of investigation?" Zasheir sounds quite tentative.

Agreed. I simply want what's owed to my family. I know very little regarding any of this, though. I stumbled upon my brooch, my father seemingly had no intentions of sending me on this quest prior to that. Maximus looks about the room.

Hypersmith
2019-07-17, 06:20 PM
"Who's to say what lead him to it? But he has siblings, and now others who want to know. I'm one of them. Things don't add up in the end here, but I'm unwilling to speculate as to what it was. There's resentment aplenty to be found -" He inclines his head to Ubrega again, his features carrying a muddled, hard to read expression. "But this is all talk and speculation. Do any of you have leads? Paths to take to start a search? Combing the lands with one short range incomplete detection magic is not precisely the path I envisioned."

aguaracu
2019-07-22, 05:48 PM
"I'm Zasheir Liadon, son of Seipora, though I haven't seen her for a while."
"I don't have much to go on, my father couldn't or wouldn't tell me any more about Tobias, so I guess I could start in the library at the temple of Oghma." Zasheir doesn't look thrilled at the prospect. "It'll be a lot of work for an unlikely payoff, and I'm hardly a scholar." Zasheir looks round at the others.

Tallytrev813
2019-07-23, 11:49 AM
Hmm, none of these routs seem particularly promising, and I have little to add to any means of proceeding. My father simply told me to start here, and i left. Maximus stated. He reached in his pocked and rubbed the brooch, a habit he picked up while thinking.

Maximus reread his fathers letter in his mind. No. Nothing of use.

John Cribati
2019-07-26, 03:41 AM
"Your... father? Ubegra, confused pipes up from the corner she was sitting in. Her eyes narrow in suspicion as she gives Maximus a once-over Who is your father, child?

Grenuxa looks at her mother, then back to Maximus, a look of worry flitting across her brow.

Tallytrev813
2019-07-29, 03:11 PM
Yes, my father. We all mentioned we shared relation to a member of the Vipers. Maximus stated as a pointed to the picture on the wall.

My father was one of the Vipers, it's how i got my brooch. Why do you ask?

John Cribati
2019-07-29, 08:25 PM
She chuckles darkly, coming uncomfortably close as she scrutinizes Maximus's face. "<<Funny boy, this one...>>"

She abruptly gets up and marches up the stairs.

Grenuxa watches her leave, then waits another ten seconds before addressing the room.
"Okay, everybody up. You guys really need to leave before she comes back. She points to Maximus. "Specifically you."
She begins to usher the group up the steps, whispering quickly as she goes.

"My mother is convinced that the humans were in on the heist together. That clearly isn't the case- Max doesn't look like he could lie his way out of a sack of grain- but she's a bit biased, given that, well, Tobias is the one responsible- and I use the term very lightly- for the human half of my blood. I'll try and talk her down, but in the meantime, you should be anywhere but... here."

She says something remarkably rude in Orcish.

Ubegra is calmly sitting cross-legged in front of the open front door, waiting. She stands, using her greatclub- the same one she's shown weilding in the portrait back at the inn- as a support for a bit, then gets into a low stance, ready to move.

"Okay. I'm going to get her out of the way, and you all are going to run for it."

She steps forward.

"<<Out of the way, child.>>"

She doesnt falter.

"<<What are you doing? Move!>>"

With no weapon, she takes a stance.

"<<I said... MOVE!>>"

The last word is loud and piercing as a thunderclap, and Grenuxa seems to lose resolve, flinching out of the way. Ubegra seems to glow as her face contorts into an intimidating rictus of fury, and she dashes forward with a speed that belies her age, with her club held aloft, ready to bring it down on Maximus's skull-

When it suddenly disappears into thin air. Ubegra stops moving, befuddled.

With a primal scream, Grenuxa intercepts, the club appearing in her hand by magic, and wallops her mother in the side, sending her flying into a wall. She doesn't hesitate, and immediately moves to attempt to subdue her. She has the same crazed look in her eye, throwing her more orcish features into relief, but you can tell her rage doesn't burn nearly as hot.

You flee the house to the symphony of blows landing and objects breaking..

Hypersmith
2019-07-29, 08:48 PM
Malagak stays. Rage wasn't unfamiliar to him, and he would lie if he didn't feel the boil of it from time to time. Mellowed perhaps by human blood. He watches the mother and daughter devolve into brawl, hand on weapon hilt and carefully staying out of the way. He grunts in the language more familiar to him.
<<Honored Elder, be appeased. I will flay the flesh from his bones myself if what you suspect is true. I have no love for humans or their ilk, and curse the fate that had me sired by one. But by my mother and your companion Creia, I will see debts fulfilled if they are guilty. You know my mothers skill in tracking. I intend to put it to use. Grant a chance, honored elder.>>

John Cribati
2019-07-29, 11:51 PM
Grenuxa's look of utter disbelief would be hilarious in any oher circumstance.

The current circumstance being a wrestling match between her and her mother, with one hand smushed against her mother's face as Ubegra flails against her, reaching for the club being held away.

"<<I appreciate the sentiment, and will be sure to pass on the message, but please get the f**k out of here!>>

John Cribati
2019-08-07, 09:35 PM
As it turns out, Ubegra hears the message loud and clear.

Grenuxa had dropped the greatclub, winding back for a haymaker, when something about Malagak's tone seemed to strike a chord in the old orc's heart, and Ubegra's fearsome aurabof rage disappears like a popped soap bubble. Momentarily distracted, she takes the full force of her daughter's blow. Staggering back, ubegra catches herself on the table before she can fall over.

Grenuxa, alarmed, gets up to check on her mother, but she's waved off.

"<<You hit harder when you were half your age,>>" she chuckles, spitting out a tooth. "<<You've gone soft doing all those scribbles in your basement.>>"

After two more deep breaths, she approaches Malagak, slowly and mournfully, and then nearlyncollapses onto him in a tight embrace.

"<<Your mother and I. We were sisters in all but blood, we swore that very oath to take vengeance for the Rennak'le together, and yet...>>"

She forgets herself and falls more heavily into the mountain tongue, but if Malagak had some small difficulty parsing the dialect at first, he can hardly make hide nor hair of what she's saying, beyond what seem to be apologies..

Or maybe it's the fact that she's sobbing into his shoulder like a child.

Grenuxa takes her mother's weight, though she seems as confused as Malagak is. However well-informed she was about the Vipers, she is, for once, as lost as you are.

aguaracu
2019-08-08, 06:26 PM
"We beg you for patience, we have just learnt of the wrongs committed in our parent's time and will do what is in our power to right those wrongs." Zasheir's gestures indicate both Malagak and Maximus. "We are grateful for you and your daughter's openess and frankness, truly we know our ignorance, and how precious your wisdom and knowledge is." Zasheir pauses, perhaps he is laying it on a bit thick?

"None of us would have any cause to be here if he or she had been part of the betrayal; that criminal - and any conspirators - made off with their loot decades ago. Please let our own actions speak for us, whatever our descent, and give us the chance to prove our characters as you proved yours."

Tallytrev813
2019-08-12, 05:16 PM
Maximus takes a ready stance with his lower half, but holds his hands up in front of him in a non-threatening fashion and states,Do I honestly look like I have a single f***ing clue what anyone here is talking about? If my family were in on whatever betrayal this is, do you think they'd be living in poverty, sending their son to investigate? That just doesnt make any sense.

John Cribati
2019-08-16, 02:55 PM
Grenuxa is still stooped on the floor, cradling her mother as she sobs in some perverse role reversal. She does look up for a few moments to glare at the elf and human, presumably for their inability to read a room.

"Would you mind giving us some time? And space?"

aguaracu
2019-08-16, 04:32 PM
Zasheir gives a quick tug on Maximus's sleeve and tries to catch Malagak's eye, he then nods towards the exit.

Tallytrev813
2019-08-19, 12:10 PM
Maximus carefully walks out without turning his back.

aguaracu
2019-08-19, 12:42 PM
Zasheir follows Maximus out.

John Cribati
2019-08-22, 08:47 PM
Malagak and Grenuxa bring the aging orc up to her bedroom, but between the adrenaline crash from her rage and her emotional outburst, she falls into a fitful sleep before they can get any information from her.

"So I don't take it that you've ever heard of whatever the Rennak'le is? Are?"

Malagak roll History with disadvantage.

aguaracu
2019-08-27, 05:54 PM
As they walked away from the cottage Zasheir tried to encourage Maximus. "Look, um" Zasheir hesitated. "It takes a lot to get over betrayal. No, what I mean is, it hurts a lot and it like, it affects other relationships that it shouldn't even after a long time. Someone's character can show through eventually, but Ubegra is going to be really slow to trust anyone."

Zasheir put his hand on Maximus' shoulder "You seem like a solid and straightforward person. It will just take some time for people to get to know you. Especially people who have a lot of mistrust."

Zasheir stopped, "I meant what I said tonight about pooling our efforts. I'll be at the temple of Oghma tomorrow, they've got a library, and I would like to meet you again. Also Malagak and Grenuxa even, if she'll talk to us. I'm going to wait here and see if I can talk to Malagak. If you're willing, please come and meet me."