PDA

View Full Version : Jings!

Axelmct
2019-06-08, 07:13 AM
Tadger, roaster, bawbag and dobber, all in one strip.

Are you hoping no knows Scottish obscenity?

Axelmct
2019-06-08, 07:14 AM
half pished, too

Peelee
2019-06-08, 07:28 AM
Well now I'm wondering how accurate the earlier tranlations I got were.

Which, I should note, is not an invitation to actually translate them into their corresponding obscenities.:smalltongue:

CriticalFailure
2019-06-08, 08:45 AM
I bet the author has been studying scottish people twitter

Squire Doodad
2019-06-08, 10:27 AM
* came in expecting to find a joke about bells *

Peelee
2019-06-08, 10:32 AM

Sorry that didn't ring true.

Fyraltari
2019-06-08, 10:42 AM
I hope that doesn’t take too much of a toll on you.

Peelee
2019-06-08, 10:44 AM
I hope that doesn’t take too much of a toll on you.

It was still appealing enough.

Keltest
2019-06-08, 11:03 AM
So on a scale of "kind elderly grandmother" to "high school locker room where somebody just smashed their toe", how strong are these curses?

MoonCat
2019-06-08, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't necessarily call them curses, just obscenities- these are slang terms for genitalia. Except for 'roaster,' which means 'idiot,' but is modified by 'knobby,' which also derives from a term for genitals.

Although I can't provide their equivalents without a lot of asterisks, I think the clinical definition being given doesn't count as circumventing the board filters? So: tadger, knob (hence, knobby), and dobber all refer to the penis. 'Bawbag' is the scrotum.

I'm not Scottish myself so I don't know how accurately I can speak to the tabooness of each word, but I'd call them slang terms about generally-taboo subject matter, so you wouldn't yell them in a locker room because they don't offer that much emotional catharsis, but you wouldn't mention them to your granny unless you're in the habit of talking about people's sex bits to her.

EDIT: As for their invective use in the strip, I think it's probably akin to the way non-Scots would use certain penile curses as pejorative statements. 'Dobber' certainly is used to describe someone in Scots, although I'm not sure about 'tadger.' That might be Kandro taking a specially opportunity to use an otherwise non-invective term specifically as an insult. Because, y'know, giant worm.

ti'esar
2019-06-08, 06:19 PM
Truth be told, I tend to assume any incomprehensible Scottish insult is a reference to genitalia until told otherwise.

CJG
2019-06-09, 05:13 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call them curses, just obscenities- these are slang terms for genitalia. Except for 'roaster,' which means 'idiot,' but is modified by 'knobby,' which also derives from a term for genitals.

Although I can't provide their equivalents without a lot of asterisks, I think the clinical definition being given doesn't count as circumventing the board filters? So: tadger, knob (hence, knobby), and dobber all refer to the penis. 'Bawbag' is the scrotum.

I'm not Scottish myself so I don't know how accurately I can speak to the tabooness of each word, but I'd call them slang terms about generally-taboo subject matter, so you wouldn't yell them in a locker room because they don't offer that much emotional catharsis, but you wouldn't mention them to your granny unless you're in the habit of talking about people's sex bits to her.

EDIT: As for their invective use in the strip, I think it's probably akin to the way non-Scots would use certain penile curses as pejorative statements. 'Dobber' certainly is used to describe someone in Scots, although I'm not sure about 'tadger.' That might be Kandro taking a specially opportunity to use an otherwise non-invective term specifically as an insult. Because, y'know, giant worm.

Perhaps it is akin to the insults Belkar was using on Roy? Lots of sexy-bits jokes about this worm!

martianmister
2019-06-09, 06:16 AM
Looks like Oedipus complex had a strong effect on dwarf males.

MoonCat
2019-06-09, 04:09 PM
Perhaps it is akin to the insults Belkar was using on Roy? Lots of sexy-bits jokes about this worm!

Yes, this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0690.html) from ten years ago does the same thing. I think the key difference is the fact that the words Kandro used are actually words specifically for the genitalia/invective, and not innuendo.

Looks like Oedipus complex had a strong effect on dwarf males.

To the extent of my knowledge, there is nothing Oedipal in this whatsoever. Are you thinking of Freudian?

martianmister
2019-06-09, 05:29 PM
To the extent of my knowledge, there is nothing Oedipal in this whatsoever. Are you thinking of Freudian?

I'm not sure how to answer that. Oedipus complex is basically the center of Freudian analysis. And Oedipus complex is all about the penis issues.

Peelee
2019-06-09, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure how to answer that. Oedipus complex is basically the center of Freudian analysis. And Oedipus complex is all about the penis issues.

Oedipus complex is the desire to replace the father and be with the mother. Not really more specialized than that. Of course, like the vast majority of Freud's work, it's since been discredited.

MoonCat
2019-06-09, 06:29 PM

The Oedipus complex being a prominent part of Freud's theories doesn't mean that everything Freud said was grounded in that specific theory. He had other things to say about penises as well.

Saying that anything Freudian is therefore Oedipal is like claiming that killing your father was a Freudian slip.

Of course, like the vast majority of Freud's work, it's since been discredited.

That too, of course.

martianmister
2019-06-10, 04:25 AM
Oedipus complex is the desire to replace the father and be with the mother.

And reason for that is child's awareness about his possession of penis. That's why they called it "phallic stage."

The Oedipus complex being a prominent part of Freud's theories doesn't mean that everything Freud said was grounded in that specific theory. He had other things to say about penises as well.

But surely you must be aware how penis-related the Oedipus complex is. So I'm not sure what you mean when you said that dwarves' obsession with penis had nothing to do with Oedipus complex.

Saying that anything Freudian is therefore Oedipal is like claiming that killing your father was a Freudian slip.

Good thing I never said that.

Peelee
2019-06-10, 07:19 AM
And reason for that is child's awareness about his possession of penis. That's why they called it "phallic stage."

You got what I said backwards. I'm not saying the complex isn't penile, I'm saying the complex isn't central to Freudian analysis.

martianmister
2019-06-10, 07:31 AM
You got what I said backwards. I'm not saying the complex isn't penile
Yet MoonCat disagrees about that.

I'm saying the complex isn't central to Freudian analysis.
Compared to Anal and Oral, it is. Freud's analysis is mostly based on the child's sexual desires, which is mostly base it's source on phallic stage and that stage's dominant factor, Oedipus complex.

Iain
2019-06-10, 07:52 AM
I'm a Scot; if I heard someone let rip with a spiel like that I'd conclude that they were trying a bit too hard.

Edit - of course, this is nicely covered by these being Dwarves, not Scots. And Scots as a whole tend not to get too upset about being routinely parodied as mean, unkempt, alcoholic, aggressive, incomprehensible, small and tough. We're kind of used to it, and at least it lets us kid on that we're tough.

'your bawbags' is curious, too - athough I don't know much about the anatomy of extraplanar undead so I suppose it's possible that they do, in fact, have multiple scrota.

martianmister
2019-06-10, 11:12 AM
'your bawbags' is curious, too - athough I don't know much about the anatomy of extraplanar undead so I suppose it's possible that they do, in fact, have multiple scrota.

Isn't there usually two of those?

Iain
2019-06-10, 01:49 PM

Um. No?

Not on humans where I'm from, anyway. In my experience, it's pretty much either one scrotum, or none.

Jaxzan Proditor
2019-06-10, 02:38 PM
Time to add "supplies helpful knowledge on Scottish slang for male genitalia" to my list of reasons why this forum is awesome.

Fyraltari
2019-06-10, 02:55 PM

"Scrotum" refers to the whole ballsack, not the individuals... let's say "ballpockets".
Héhé, pokéballs. I am an adult.

KorvinStarmast
2019-06-10, 03:45 PM
"Scrotum" refers to the whole ballsack, not the individuals... let's say "ballpockets".
Héhé, pokéballs. I am an adult. Had the parody been bad German, he might have been referring to being a lot like old Harry Knutsach ...

martianmister
2019-06-10, 03:54 PM
Well, I guess I'm not familiar with male anatomy as I assumed...

MoonCat
2019-06-10, 06:43 PM
But surely you must be aware how penis-related the Oedipus complex is. So I'm not sure what you mean when you said that dwarves' obsession with penis had nothing to do with Oedipus complex.

Just because the Oedipus complex is related to penises doesn't make everything involving Freud and penises Oedipal. Freud linked the Oedipus complex to "penis envy" and "castration anxiety," neither of which show up in this comic.

In English, the term 'Freudian,' which I suggested you meant, refers to Freud's more general theory about the extent to which human sexuality appears in our behavior, and in this case, speech. 'Oedipal,' which is what you used, specifically refers to wanting to kill your father/sleep with your mother, and can be extended to the two penile theories I mentioned in the preceding paragraph.

Good thing I never said that.

{Scrubbed}

Finagle
2019-06-11, 01:08 AM
There's only one ballsack. No matter how many testes it contains. Using the plural would mean multiple sacks. Or, the author took a quick glance at an unfamiliar form of slang and is using it wrong.

Throknor
2019-06-11, 01:18 AM
There's only one ballsack. No matter how many testes it contains. Using the plural would mean multiple sacks. Or, the author took a quick glance at an unfamiliar form of slang and is using it wrong.
Or... Dwarves are weird.

Just sayin'.

Jannoire
2019-06-11, 03:16 AM
Or Nightcrawlers or just anatomically different.

martianmister
2019-06-11, 05:29 AM
Just because the Oedipus complex is related to penises doesn't make everything involving Freud and penises Oedipal.

And, again, who said that?

In English, the term 'Freudian,' which I suggested you meant, refers to Freud's more general theory about the extent to which human sexuality appears in our behavior, and in this case, speech.

So?

Freud linked the Oedipus complex to "penis envy" and "castration anxiety," neither of which show up in this comic. 'Oedipal,' which is what you used, specifically refers to wanting to kill your father/sleep with your mother, and can be extended to the two penile theories I mentioned in the preceding paragraph.

Firstly, I didn't say "Oedipal." I said that "Oedipus complex had a strong effect on dwarf males," because they're obsessed with *****, especially the ***** of things they want to kill.

Jannoire
2019-06-11, 06:28 AM
Firstly, I didn't say "Oedipal." I said that "Oedipus complex had a strong effect on dwarf males," because they're obsessed with *****, especially the ***** of things they want to kill.

It was an insult of opportunity. And for that to count, it must be closely related to the target. What makes for a better ioo than penis jokes?

martianmister
2019-06-11, 06:39 AM
It was an insult of opportunity. And for that to count, it must be closely related to the target. What makes for a better ioo than penis jokes?

Butt jokes? Considering dwarves' extremely lawful culture, they're the perfect examples of fixations related to anal stage.

Jannoire
2019-06-11, 08:07 AM
Because of the stick up their... You know?

But it's not an insult of their culture, Kandro really wants to taunt and insult the worm... Which is long, has no appendices and all in all really looks like the male reproductive organ...

Roland St. Jude
2019-06-11, 10:26 AM
Sheriff: This thread is really not productive or appropriate for this Forum. Note: not everything in the comic if forum-appropriate.