PDA

View Full Version : Mind Flayer (player race)

stewstew5
2019-06-08, 08:51 AM
A mind flayer player race.

Y'know. For That player.

not certain how really powerful mind flay and thrall are. They both are pretty good but have heavy conditions
Mind Flayer
“...”
-thrall

Illithid, colloquially known as mind flayers, are aborative monstrosities from the far realms that feed on the intellect of others, turning them into mindless slaves to do their bidding and gathering into massive colonies, slowly and methodically taking over worlds

Mind Flayer traits

Ability score increase Your intelligence score increases by two

Age Mind Flayer age slowly, being mature at 100 years of age and reaching ages of nearly 2,000

Size Medium

Speed Your land and climbing speed is 25’.

Abomination your creature type is both Humanoid and Aberration

Mind Sense Your attack rolls against creatures within 10’ of you do not have disadvantage due to the target being invisible or otherwise obscured from you

When blinded, attacks from creatures within 10’ of you do not have advantage and your attacks against these creatures do not have disadvantage

Mind Probe You can cast detect thoughts at will. After using this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a short rest.

You may use this feature instead to pick a creature you within 30' of you and determine if it is your superior, your equal, or your inferior for intelligence score

Mind Flay As an action you may choose a creature within 10’ of you. You lunge to it, and it must make a dexterity saving throw (DC 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency modifier). If it fails this save, you are both restrained. On each of your and the target’s turns it makes an intelligence saving throw (DC 8 + your intelligence modifier + your proficiency modifier) on a failed save, it takes 3 intelligence damage and you heal 1d4 hit points. The target restores 1d3 intelligence following every long rest

If it successfully saves 3 times consecutively or rolls a 20 on the saving throw you are thrown off into an adjacent space and the effect ends. If the target’s intelligence reaches 0, you may choose to turn it into a thrall. If you do not, they fall unconscious

Thrall When you turn a creature into a thrall, you subject it to the dominate monster spell. It does not get saving throws against the effect while it’s intelligence is 0, it does not require concentration and has a duration of eight hours, and you may replace its intelligence, wisdom and charisma bonuses with yours at will. You can only have one creature under this effect at a time. This creature rests when you do

Languages You can speak common, deep speak, abyssal, and one other language of your choice that you have picked up on from repeated consumption

JNAProductions
2019-06-08, 12:42 PM
Why do they have a climbing speed?

Is the mixed type an either or and situation? (So, for instance, does Charm Person work on them?)

Mind Sense is crazy good. It's a high-level Rogue feature, but better.

Mind Probe is fine, though worded oddly. "At-will, but once per short rest," is... Weird.

Mind Flay should deal psychic damage, not Int damage. Also, have it grant THP, not real HP.

Thrall is just OP. No ifs, ands, or buts.

stewstew5
2019-06-08, 06:10 PM
Why do they have a climbing speed?

Is the mixed type an either or and situation? (So, for instance, does Charm Person work on them?)

Mind Sense is crazy good. It's a high-level Rogue feature, but better.

Mind Probe is fine, though worded oddly. "At-will, but once per short rest," is... Weird.

Mind Flay should deal psychic damage, not Int damage. Also, have it grant THP, not real HP.

Thrall is just OP. No ifs, ands, or buts.

The climbing speed is mostly flavourful. I always seem to see them clinging to walls

The mixed type is a both situation. Can be affected by charm person and aberration-only effects

How can I fix that?

Duly noted

The point of the last two is to deal INT damage, make them so dumb they can’t think for themselves

But it requires you to entirely mind flay a target without them getting three saves or a nat 20. Would once a day work on top of the only one at a time?

JNAProductions
2019-06-08, 06:20 PM
In reverse order:

Your PCs fight, say, an Ogre at level 1. They eke out a victory. Your Illithid player then says "Wait, don't kill him! Just tie him up and knock him out." He now has all the time in the world to thrall this CR 2 bruiser.

The Tarrasque has an Int of 3, a Dex save of 0, and an Int save of +5. 'Nuff said.

Mind Sense could require an action and scan for sentient thought in, say, a prof mod times 5' area.

stewstew5
2019-06-08, 06:35 PM
In reverse order:

Your PCs fight, say, an Ogre at level 1. They eke out a victory. Your Illithid player then says "Wait, don't kill him! Just tie him up and knock him out." He now has all the time in the world to thrall this CR 2 bruiser.

The Tarrasque has an Int of 3, a Dex save of 0, and an Int save of +5. 'Nuff said.

Mind Sense could require an action and scan for sentient thought in, say, a prof mod times 5' area.

I’ve been working out how to include a CR cap without making the wording awkward, and besides Holy Hell that says dominate monster (it’s supposed to be dominate person, my mind ran away while typing I guess)

Hm. A good thought

JNAProductions
2019-06-08, 06:40 PM
Even if you CAN'T make the Tarrasque your Thrall, having a good chance of killing it in one action is insane.

Assuming you build for it (20 Dex/20 Int is all that's required, really) a party of four Illithid PCs has a high chance of one-shooting him.

The first three get blocked with LR, but the fourth has a 90% chance of hitting and a 65% chance of insta-killing. That's 58.5% chance of killing the Tarrasque per action once it's out of LR. Or, if you happen to be a Wizard with Portent...

stewstew5
2019-06-08, 07:00 PM
Even if you CAN'T make the Tarrasque your Thrall, having a good chance of killing it in one action is insane.

Assuming you build for it (20 Dex/20 Int is all that's required, really) a party of four Illithid PCs has a high chance of one-shooting him.

The first three get blocked with LR, but the fourth has a 90% chance of hitting and a 65% chance of insta-killing. That's 58.5% chance of killing the Tarrasque per action once it's out of LR. Or, if you happen to be a Wizard with Portent...

It would still have it’s massive health pool, but you’re right. My biggest concern going in was knock it unconscious then beat it to death. How can I fix that?

JNAProductions
2019-06-08, 07:05 PM
It would still have it’s massive health pool, but you’re right. My biggest concern going in was knock it unconscious then beat it to death. How can I fix that?

Do Psychic damage instead of Int damage.

stewstew5
2019-06-08, 07:19 PM
Do Psychic damage instead of Int damage.

Blunt, but effective. Point taken.