PDA

View Full Version : I wish for a rock

Braininthejar2
2019-06-08, 09:20 AM
I might have a "use it or lose it" wish soon, and I was considering making myself a base in the astral.

If I wished to create a piece of rock (with the intention of drilling into it later) how big can I make it without the wish becoming "risky"?

Should it be calculated by item value, or emulation of other spells?

Keltest
2019-06-08, 09:38 AM
I might have a "use it or lose it" wish soon, and I was considering making myself a base in the astral.

If I wished to create a piece of rock (with the intention of drilling into it later) how big can I make it without the wish becoming "risky"?

Whats the source of the wish? Is it an item or a being?

Mike Miller
2019-06-08, 09:43 AM
Wish for your next wish to work as intended without being changed past what you want. Then find another wish source and populate an astral base with all the things.

noob
2019-06-08, 09:48 AM
Wish for your next wish to work as intended without being changed past what you want. Then find another wish source and populate an astral base with all the things.

The first wish is corrupted making the second wish double corrupt resulting in a giant chunk of melting ice cream to appear in the astral plane?(the belly of your character totally intended to have ice cream)
Metawish are extremely risky.
You can use the safe duplicate spell clause to duplicate a wall of stone if you are in the astral plane and that there is an anchor.

Bronk
2019-06-08, 10:23 AM

It depends on the source of the wish. If it's a 'regular' wish, your best bet (for what you're asking for specifically) is probably wishing for 25,000 gold worth of hewn stone walls (Stronghold Builder's Guide page 37). That's 600 gold per 10 foot square of stone that's 6 feet thick, so that's 41 and two thirds wall sections. The book has other prices for stone walls, some much cheaper, but that's based on already having the rock, and I can't find prices for just buying a hunk of mountain.

My suggestion for a regular wish is for a warship. They're listed in the SRD as being 25000 gold, right at the price limit, and should come with lots of rooms, kitchens, etc., as well as being armed.

If it's a supernatural wish with no XP limits, I'd suggest wishing for a magic item instead, like an instant fortress. Or, you could wish for planar sails (AEG) and outfit a preexisting ship, which would give you better mobility.

Mike Miller
2019-06-08, 10:46 AM
The first wish is corrupted making the second wish double corrupt resulting in a giant chunk of melting ice cream to appear in the astral plane?(the belly of your character totally intended to have ice cream)

Nooooo!
I had a good laugh for that one. What a jerk move to corrupt that. You wouldn't even know it until the second wish, either. XD

I never like these responses, but it is probably a DM discussion. How much astral space can you wish for? As much as the DM is willing to cede.

noob
2019-06-08, 11:59 AM
Nooooo!
I had a good laugh for that one. What a jerk move to corrupt that. You wouldn't even know it until the second wish, either. XD

I never like these responses, but it is probably a DM discussion. How much astral space can you wish for? As much as the DM is willing to cede.

If you have the ice cream fortress making a stone fortress afterwards is not very hard.(planeshift toward it then get to it and live in here and place a circle of teleportation here each day until you get a permanent one then afterwards you can get to the fortress in two spellcast at any moment which you can use to bring stone to it progressively)

Sorry was thinking in 5e terms.

well in 3.X getting a fortress in the astral plane takes just a planeshift with a barbarian lifting a fortress above his head but getting back to it reliably is hard(2 actions or some really high level stuff)

DarkSoul
2019-06-08, 12:20 PM
Can you use your Wish to gain a feat? If so, Landlord might be worth looking into. You'll probably be able to find a suitable piece of land to claim in the Astral with something less powerful than a Wish.

If you can't do that, then something a half-mile or so across would be reasonable, I think. As long as you're not asking for it to have a specific composition or already have construction on it.

Braininthejar2
2019-06-08, 04:40 PM
If you can't do that, then something a half-mile or so across would be reasonable, I think. As long as you're not asking for it to have a specific composition or already have construction on it.

My idea is to have a hideout outside of my world for when I hit level 18 and get astral travel. So, It's not really a fortress to live in, just a tiny dot in the infinite plane, lamost impossible to find without 9 level spells, with some trapped tunnels to tire out any intruders that actually find it, some alarms to wake me up in case of trouble, and a sealed room I can astral travel from. The rest would mostly be solid rock, hopefully too much for anyone to bother tunneling through, but I could put some hidden pockets of poison gas here and there.

As for the wish getting risky, I just want to avoid the situation of "wished for too much, the effect came out plain wrong" rather than the genie playing with the wording. (He's been known to screw people over, but he's more subtle than that - usually giving people exactly what they think they want, like making a guy so rich he quickly gets robbed and killed - I will have to plan for that, but that is a separate problem)

Psyren
2019-06-08, 10:07 PM

Both. That is, emulate a spell that does what you want, and abide by the material limitations of that spell. This will be guaranteed to be safe.

I'm not sure if you're in 3.5 or PF, but Wish can safely duplicate Create Demiplane (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-demiplane/) (8th level.) Even if you're in 3.5, show that spell to your DM and indicate that this effect is roughly in line with an 8th level spell, so it should be safe. Calculate all the parameters as if you had cast CD once, and use the caster level of whichever effect gave you the wish.

Jay R
2019-06-08, 10:13 PM
Ask your DM. Tell him that you don't want to accidentally abuse the wish, and that you'd like a straightforward idea of what it can do. Offer to make a Knowledge(Arcane) roll, perhaps.

There is exactly one source of information on this specific issue in that specific universe, and consulting anybody else is a waste of time.

Really. Ask the DM.