PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Low level Rogue(Swashbuckler)/Warlock(Fiend) DPT optimization

Kellin
2019-06-08, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone, I am currently playing a Swashbuckler Rogue (3) / Warlock (Fiend) (2). Current stats - 8-16-12-12-14-13. I am relatively new to D&D, started playing last year.
So I would like to ask for some advice about optimizing my fighting mechanics. I am not the one for crazy min-maxing, but it's just good to do it occasionally and to know my options. Maybe you could help me out here, if I am calculating everything correctly and if there's anything I am missing, or anything I could do better/more interesting.

My current fights usually go as follows:
Bonus action - casting Hex on a target;

From then on I have three options:
Ranged cantrip option

Action: Eldritch Blast - 2 beams x (1d10 + 1d6 from Hex) = 2d10 + 2d6. (I get 2 beams, as per overall char. lvl (5) my cantrip is scaled). My spellcasting modifier is currently at +4.

I could continue spamming EB every turn (which is a bit boring), and use my bonus action to switch Hex when needed. However honestly, I like to go in melee (as Swashbucklers usually do :D ) and do the stabby-stab-stab. :D

So, I have 2 options for melee.
Melee cantrip option:

Action: Booming Blade 1d8 thunder dmg (from lvl 5 cantrip) + Rapier 1d8+3 + 2d6 Sneak Attack (as a Swashbuckler I don't need advantage for SA if I'm 1-on-1 with a target) + 1d6 from Hex = 2d8 + 3d6 + 3

move away from a target to get extra 2d8 BB damage if the target moves.
If it does, I get a total dmg: 4d8 + 3d6 +3

(for future turns) Bonus Action - free to do anything, apart from switching Hex, can do lots of stuff here. (Any interesting suggestions?)

Two-weapon fighting option:

Action: Melee attack with Rapier: 1d8+3 + 2d6 Sneak Attack + 1d6 from Hex
(for future turns) Bonus action: melee attack with Shortsword+1 in off-hand: 1d6+1 + 1d6 from Hex.
Total damage from 2 weapons: 1d8 + 5d6 + 4

My overall question is - which option is better/versatile in your opinion? Could I generally do something differently? So far, I think melee cantrip is the best option in terms of damage and a free bonus action. Any interesting stuff I could do with a bonus action apart from Hide?
Thank you very much for all the input.

PS: I was looking on the internet for some calculators for an average damage and couldn't find any simple enough to use for me. Any links? Thanks!

LudicSavant
2019-06-08, 10:18 AM
PS: I was looking on the internet for some calculators for an average damage and couldn't find any simple enough to use for me. Any links? Thanks!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?582779-Comprehensive-DPR-Calculator-(v2-0!)

Just punch in your character info on the "inputs" side. It's got a ton of functions which might seem overwhelming at first glance, but you can ignore anything below "advanced options" for simpler calculations.

I don't think you'll find anything that's simpler to use than that which maintains accuracy.

anything I could do better/more interesting. Accounting for accuracy / reliably generating advantage or triple advantage tends to make a big difference.

djreynolds
2019-06-08, 01:22 PM
The Crossbow expert feat will allow you to use any ranged attack in melee, eldritch blast included, it may be worth it to you as now you can use eldritch blast all the time

But in your case, you are multiclassed with a swashbuckler and I'm assuming your dexterity is high. So you want to focus on landing that sneak attack and you can sneak attack with ranged weapons.

So what will happen is your eldritch blast will be used versus damage resistant enemy types you want to keep away from in melee.