PDA

View Full Version : War wizard question

Danielqueue1
2019-06-08, 12:38 PM
Have a question on how one would rule this phrase from War Wizard's "power surge."

Whenever you successfully end a spell with Dispel Magic...

if a target such as an enemy spellcaster had multiple spells active on them (mage armor, mirror image, etc) would you rule that the Wizard would get one charge of Power Surge for each spell dispelled? I could see one side saying that it is only one instance of dispelling, and another reading it the other way. what does the playground think?

LudicSavant
2019-06-08, 12:42 PM
if a target such as an enemy spellcaster had multiple spells active on them (mage armor, mirror image, etc) would you rule that the Wizard would get one charge of Power Surge for each spell dispelled?

I would rule yes.

Dispel Magic can prompt multiple checks. On each successful check, a spell ends. When a spell ends, you get a charge of Power Surge (up to your cap).

Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends. For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check using your Spellcasting Ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a successful check, the spell ends.

Whenever you successfully end a spell with Dispel Magic

Ergo, the event "successfully end a spell with Dispel Magic" can occur multiple times within the same action.

DarkKnightJin
2019-06-09, 01:17 AM
I hadn't considered this yet, but I think I'd fall into the camp of 'Dispel Magic goes for every spell/magical effect currently affecting DM's targeted creature/object', with checks in place for every spell of 4th level and up. And I'd probably rule that it goes for the lowest leveled spell first. DM discretion on which spell first if there's more than 1 pf a certain level affecting the target.