PDA

View Full Version : Statting Jack Sparrow

skywalker
2007-10-06, 11:39 AM
So I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 3 again last night, and I was wondering what these boards would do with Jack Sparrow. The most interesting thing that struck me was that none of the "pirate" themed prestige classes really fit him, and that while he is usually described as an excellent sword-fighter, it seems to me that his mental stats would be far higher than his physical.

My thoughts:
CN Human Rogue 2-3
str:11
dex:13-14
con:10-11
int:17-18
wis:8-10
cha:16-17

Feats: lots of luck feats :smallbiggrin:

Thoughts?

Anxe
2007-10-06, 11:50 AM
Shouldn't he be in the Dread Pirate PrC or the Thief Acrobat PrC?

Tengu
2007-10-06, 11:58 AM
Give him 3 levels in Swashbuckler.

Attilargh
2007-10-06, 11:59 AM
...while he is usually described as an excellent sword-fighter...
Where? The poor (but otherwise rather magnificient) bastard loses about every single fight he doesn't slink away from. :smalltongue:

Dean Fellithor
2007-10-06, 11:59 AM
So I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 3 again last night, and I was wondering what these boards would do with Jack Sparrow. The most interesting thing that struck me was that none of the "pirate" themed prestige classes really fit him, and that while he is usually described as an excellent sword-fighter, it seems to me that his mental stats would be far higher than his physical.

My thoughts:
CN Human Rogue 2-3

Thoughts?

Me and My DM Adam once stated him out, although it was a loose fit on pre-rolls.

but I'm thinking this:

Since he has his own movie Jack Sparrow would have to be at least LVL 16+ and then I'm thinking that because Jack works on a Ship and that is generally hard work and the fact that he has survived so many battles, that Constitution would be his Highest Stat (or second Highest) and his Charisma would be round about Highest/second highest too. next we have his Strenght, ships require a lot of pulling and hard manual labor that would make him probably put his 3rd or 4th highest roll in STR or DEX (because generally in that Era fighting was more Dexterous rather than Smash the guys head in with a Hammer). then we have got Intelligence and Wisdom, these are easy as Jack Sparrow is a Smart man, but not exactly a Wise man: I mean the fact that this guy is in a Contract with Davy Jones in the first place shows that he's not the wisest wine in the shop. so we have INT as his 5th most important stat and WIS as his least important.

then we have the fact point of "What class should I make him?" well lets put say... the first 5 levels in swashbuckler and give him Weapon Finesse (swashbuckler class Feature) with a Cutlass.

thats all I can think of for now, as I am quite Tired, its 3:00AM after all...

Karsh
2007-10-06, 12:16 PM
Well, but he's killed by a Kraken, which is only CR 12.

And rather handily, I might add.

Yeril
2007-10-06, 12:27 PM
@^ True but he would have to be level 17-18 to take on a CR 12 single handedly.

I'd say hes in the 8-10 level area, enough to be well known and famous in ports around the world, proberly won't be remembered in a few hundred years time though..

As the article "Analyzing Aragon" states, characters above level 10 tend to be once in a generation type characters who are legends in the local area, at the level 15 they are known around the world proberly, and 20 is the kind of having a game of snooker with Pelor next weekend type of power.

Aragorn is like a level 3 fighter/2 ranger..

As for jack?

I'd say Rogue 2, Swashbuckler 7.

Stats hm

Str: 12 < No evidence, a finesse type fighter
Dex: 16 < Unarmored, finesse type fighter
Con: 12 < No real evidence, drinks often?
Int: 17 < Very cunning and witty
Wis: 9 < Never showed much of this
Cha: 19+++ < Hes got a movie and when the first one came out most girls I knew at school were swooning over him.

daggaz
2007-10-06, 12:27 PM
The kraken in DnD is only CR 12. In Jack Sparrow's world, it's one of the mightiest creatures in known existance, and likewise there aren't a whole lot of competing monsters to bring down its relative CR... Its pretty much unique and would probably be closer to CR 20.

Jack is probably about lvl 15, CN (but closer to good than evil)rogue/swashbuckler.. actually, Elan's homebrew PrC is probably more suited to him.

He has a 16 charisma, and a 14 in con. His strength is closer to 10, stronger than your average commoner, but nothing to parade about. His wisdom is at its highest a ten as well, but his intelligence is probably closer to 12 or 14. Lets call it 13.

He has some kind of luck feat as well, perhaps once a day he gets to flip a coin and he is either phenominally lucky, or terribly unlucky.

skywalker
2007-10-06, 12:37 PM
Me and My DM Adam once stated him out, although it was a loose fit on pre-rolls.

but I'm thinking this:

Since he has his own movie Jack Sparrow would have to be at least LVL 16+ and then I'm thinking that because Jack works on a Ship and that is generally hard work and the fact that he has survived so many battles, that Constitution would be his Highest Stat (or second Highest) and his Charisma would be round about Highest/second highest too. next we have his Strenght, ships require a lot of pulling and hard manual labor that would make him probably put his 3rd or 4th highest roll in STR or DEX (because generally in that Era fighting was more Dexterous rather than Smash the guys head in with a Hammer). then we have got Intelligence and Wisdom, these are easy as Jack Sparrow is a Smart man, but not exactly a Wise man: I mean the fact that this guy is in a Contract with Davy Jones in the first place shows that he's not the wisest wine in the shop. so we have INT as his 5th most important stat and WIS as his least important.

then we have the fact point of "What class should I make him?" well lets put say... the first 5 levels in swashbuckler and give him Weapon Finesse (swashbuckler class Feature) with a Cutlass.

thats all I can think of for now, as I am quite Tired, its 3:00AM after all...

I don't think that really works out, he doesn't seem particularly hardy, nor does he seem rather strong(I know he works on a ship, but the average sailor wasn't that much stronger than the average commoner). Jack seems physically average(somewhat more dexterous than average) very cunning individual. His charisma seems rather situational to me, and his wisdom is slightly lacking.

I think 16th level is way too high. After all, Aragorn was only 5th level...:smallwink:

Spiryt
2007-10-06, 12:39 PM
I will agree with Yeril, his Int is very high, and his Charisma is superior. He appears to handle all chalenges with those, however his Dex also looks at least 15.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-10-06, 12:48 PM
He remindes me of a Jarlaxe charactor, both in social and fighting abilaties (sure he's not a dark elf but he's crafty)

Attilargh
2007-10-06, 01:10 PM
His charisma seems rather situational to me
Doesn't Davy Jones at one point say something to the effect of "...And no deals!", followed by Jack talking himself one without missing a beat? That's fairly charismatic. Also, all the fast-talking and Xanatos Thingies he pulls off in Dead Man's Chest suggest a pretty consistent charisma score.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-10-06, 01:13 PM
Just make him a Beguiler and have it lie about everything else.

Sir Giacomo
2007-10-06, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I once made a similar attempt in the character builder thread...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2638093&postcount=436

- Giacomo

SexyOchreJelly
2007-10-06, 04:43 PM
Jack Sparrow is a rogue with lots of stuff from the complete Scoundrel, in my opinion.

Statting Davy Jones would be much more interesting. Imagine all the abilities he would get from his tentacles.

kpenguin
2007-10-06, 04:45 PM
I'd say that Davy Jones is a lich, with his heart being the phylactery.

RationalGoblin
2007-10-06, 04:49 PM
I'd say that Davy Jones is a lich, with his heart being the phylactery.

Alhoon maybe? Because he really does look like an Mind Flay- Squid Thingy, sorry.

SexyOchreJelly
2007-10-06, 04:54 PM
Davy Jones must have over 20 charisma in my opinion... that voice is simply incredible.

AslanCross
2007-10-06, 05:35 PM
Alhoon maybe? Because he really does look like an Mind Flay- Squid Thingy, sorry.

With Swashbuckler and Dread Pirate levels!

Anyway, I do think Jack Sparrow should have a couple of levels in Rogue and Swashbuckler, then have all ten levels of Dread Pirate. He has that level of infamy. So maybe Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 3/Dread Pirate 10. Lv 15 may be kinda high, but Dread Pirate's capstone ability seems to suit him.

JackMage666
2007-10-06, 06:54 PM
Human Aristocrat 1, with some magic item that makes people think he's better than he is, when he's actually just useless. Like an Aura of Charm Person.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-06, 07:14 PM
Actually, Jack is likely pretty high level. While not seen in the movies, when he was YOUNG, more or less a teenager, he went searching for an artifact (The Sword of Cortés) that made you invincible in swordfight, and lost it. Which seems pretty difficult. I say he's a swashbuckler/Duelist/Good version of Dread pirate, who is CN at the beginning of the movies, but ends up CG.

PS: Also, Aragorn is likely NOT low leveled, that's just Alexandrian's article.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-06, 07:28 PM
Hrmmm, I could make a go at it. I've been trying to stat various folks over on this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31441) and ole Jack would be fun :smallamused:

BardicDuelist
2007-10-06, 07:35 PM
His level (like everyone in fiction) is debatable because they aren't modeled after D&D. I would say that it is at least 10, since freeing a god, and conning a demi-god like being aren't things usually done below those levels.

I would just say that he is a rogue. There is no evidence that he is a great swords man (but he is certainly competant). He has a great deal of skills, and the feinting sneak attack really fit his dirty fighting style. He certainly have a great deal of skill tricks.

Swash with Daring Outlaw may fit as well.

I am positive that he has Combat Expertise and Weapon Finesse though.

Everyting else is mostly up to RP. I would houserule parts of drunken fighter as feats for him (like the drinking to heal yourself and the getting drunk making you a better fighter) just for RP purposes.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-06, 08:19 PM
Well, but he's killed by a Kraken, which is only CR 12.

And rather handily, I might add.

he was handcuffed to a mast though.

not to mention that the kraken was obviously advanced a good ways.

Bitzeralisis
2007-10-06, 08:29 PM

My thoughts:
CN Human Rogue 2-3

Thoughts?

He should be at least level 12, for starters. How the heck does a level 3 person kill a Kraken?

Reptilius
2007-10-06, 08:50 PM
He should be at least level 12, for starters. How the heck does a level 3 person kill a Kraken?

Well, he didn't kill it. The East India Company made Jones kill it. Technically, it could be said that he didn't really survive, as he was trapped in purgatory in an alternate dimension.

Mechanics wise, make him ~level 10 (swash 3/rogue X/ pirate-y PrC X) with ridiculous Charisma and pretty much everything in Complete Scoundrel.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-10-06, 10:22 PM
Since he has his own movie Jack Sparrow would have to be at least LVL 16+

Aragorn is about level five. (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/d&d-calibrating.html) (scroll 3/4 down the page. You can't miss it)

Jack Sparrow is no Aragorn.

Also, a lot of people have their own movies. They aren't all level 16+!

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-06, 10:38 PM
Aragorn is about level five. (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/d&d-calibrating.html)

Bupkiss. In the battle of Pellenor fields, Aragorn is described as emerging unscathed due to his skill. Even against CR 1s, that is unacheivable by level 5. Aragorn is better placed in the ECL 11-13 range. I say ECL, because half-elf has a LA in Middle Earth. But that is a matter for another thread.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-10-06, 11:02 PM
Bupkiss. In the battle of Pellenor fields, Aragorn is described as emerging unscathed due to his skill. Even against CR 1s, that is unacheivable by level 5. Aragorn is better placed in the ECL 11-13 range. I say ECL, because half-elf has a LA in Middle Earth. But that is a matter for another thread.

I'm not sure now . . . Maybe he's level five early on (all evidence was drawn from Fellowship), but levels up along the way?

Or maybe Tolkien didn't play D&D.

Tequila Sunrise
2007-10-06, 11:04 PM
Just stat him as a level 29 expert and be done with it! Jeez, you'd think this was rocket science...

Collin152
2007-10-07, 12:46 AM
Well lets see... Now I'm no good with stats, but I had Good Ole' Tribble whip up a superadvanced Kraken for me some time back, "Scourge of the Seas". Challenge Rating... 47? That sounds like Davy Jones' pet.

SoD
2007-10-07, 03:45 AM
Lets see...a totally maxed out kraken would have...320+(32*9)+270+(27*11) hp for a total of...1175hp (assuming full HP for each HD), with str 42, dex 10, con 33, int 21, wis 20, cha 20.
Anything with 1175 hp, plus capable of dealing 3d8+16 damage with one hit...and with the full attack as well...even for a collosal creature, that's worrying. Somehow, I doubt that he was defeated by the average, everyday CR 12 kraken. This was The Kraken.

And seeing that Davy Jones thought it a good idea to send this guy after Jack...he should be a pretty high level. If one of the PHB classes-rogue.

Otherwise, I'd be tempted to give him swashbuckler. Order of stats?

Cha
Int
Dex
Con
Str
Wis

That's my 2 cp worth.

Kioran
2007-10-07, 04:01 AM
Jack Sparrow was a friggin moron, and considering the fact that half of the cast almost had their asses handed to them by a low lvl aristocrat with maybe one or two Swashbuckler levels (Elisabeth Swan) reflects poorly on them all. Any Character from a respectable japanese jidaigeki or any other Asian martial-artist flicks would haven slaughtered them, outright.

Skjaldbakka
2007-10-07, 04:46 AM
So, high level commoner with aspirations to be a pirate?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-10-07, 10:17 AM
Alright, how's this look?

-=-=-=-=-=-

Jack Sparrow

http://www.barcade.com/media/images/2653_JackSparrow300.jpg

Human Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 3/Dread Pirate 5
Medium Humanoid (human)
Hit Dice: 4d6+4 + 3d10+3 + 5d6+5 (59 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+3 dex, +1 padded armor), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+12
Attack: Cutlass +14/+9 melee (1d6+4/19-20x2) or Pistol +14 ranged (1d10/20x3)
Full Attack: Cutlass +14/+9 melee (1d6+4/19-20x2) or Pistol +14 ranged (1d10/20x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Acrobatic charge, sneak attack +3d6, steady stance
Special Qualities: Evasion, luck of the wind, seamanship, trapfinding, trap sense, uncanny dodge
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +10, Will +3
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 18
Skills: Appraise +11, Balance +15, Bluff +19, Climb +13 (+15 ropes), Disable Device +8, Disguise +7 (+9 acting), Escape Artist +7 (+9 ropes), Jump +3, Knowledge (geography) +9, Intimidate +8, Listen +11, Profession (sailor) +19, Search +14, Sleight of Hand +7, Spot +11, Swim +14, Survival +7, Tumble +10, Use Rope +15
Skill Tricks: Timely Misdirection, Twisted Charge
Feats: Advantageous Avoidance (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Advantageous_Avoidance,CS), Chaotic Mind(B), Combat Expertise, Dishonorable Attack(B), Dumb Luck (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Dumb_Luck,CS), Lucky Catch (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Lucky_Catch,CS), Quick Draw, Sea Legs (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sea_Legs,Fr), Weapon Finesse(B)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Compass of Desire
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

Jack speaks common.

Combat
Jack Sparrow favors unorthodox fighting styles that mixes skill and confusion, often fighting with a fixed method before reverting to a dirty trick or running. This unpredictability makes him difficult to gauge.

Acrobatic Charge (Ex): As Complete Adventurer, p. 40.

Evasion (Ex): If Jack makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if he is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Jack does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Luck of the Wind (Ex): As Complete Adventurer, p. 40.

Seamanship (Ex): As Complete Adventurer, p. 39.

Sneak Attack (Ex): As Rogue's ability, +3d6.

Steady Stance (Ex): As Complete Adventurer, p. 40.

Trapfinding (Ex): Jack can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20.

Jack can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.

If Jack beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his party) without disarming it.

Trap Sense (Ex): Jack has an intuitive sense that alerts him to danger from traps, giving him a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Jack can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

-=-=-=-=-

Compass of Desire
A compass of desire appears as a standard seaman's compass within a hinged wooden box. When opened it's needle points in the direction of the wielder's strongest desire. This does not reveal the nature of the desire, nor does it help one out of a maze. It merely points in a straight-line regardless of distance.
Strong divination; CL 16th; Craft Wonderous Item, discern location, manifest desire; Price 165,000 gp; Weight 1 lbs.

-=-=-=-=-

Dishonorable Attack
You are underhanded and unpredictable, surprising those that fight fairly.
Prerequisites: Chaotic alignment
Benefit: Once per encounter against a lawfully aligned opponent you can make a single attack as if your foe were flat-footed. This allows for sneak attacks even if your foe is aware of you.

Against neutrally aligned opponents you can make a single attack per encounter with a +1 bonus.

Winterwind
2007-10-07, 11:17 AM
I know it's not official... but wouldn't the Dashing Swordsman Prestige Class be absolutely perfect for Jack?

Draz74
2007-10-07, 02:57 PM
First, the "Aragorn is 5th level" thing makes a lot of sense ... in some campaign settings. (Middle-Earth is not one of them. Prydain is a good example. In The Black Cauldron, 3rd-level characters actually are elite.)

But on the other extreme, it's not necessary to say that the elite characters of a setting are automatically Level 15+, either.

Comparing Jack to the Kraken's CR is a decent way to judge his level, if the D&D Kraken is similar to the PotC Kraken. I dunno, I'm not going to judge that.

Personally I'd put Jack in the Level 7-10 range. And he would have mostly Rogue levels. I used to think a 3-level Swashbukler dip would be appropriate, too, but ... he's really not particularly good at swordfighting. I mean, he is, but could that be by virtue of his level only? To determine what Jack has really spent effort (or Feats) on, we'd have to look at the things he does that impress other characters of about the same level as him. Characters like Barbossa or Norrington. And swordfighting doesn't seem to be his greatest talent; Bluff, Diplomacy, crazy acrobatic feats on ropes, his skill at aiming a gun, and his overall blasted luck are.

Oh, and I don't really see what Dread Pirate would add to him, either. This is why I don't really love the Dread Pirate PrC ... it doesn't really make anyone more Pirate-y than a straight Swashbuckler/Rogue who is described as a pirate. It's kind of like Miko doesn't need to be a Samurai to be a samurai. A great pirate doesn't need to be a Dread Pirate.

And Thief-Acrobat? Well, Jack's interesting that way: he pulls off some amazing acrobatic stunts, but at the same time he pulls of some really klutzy acrobatic blunders that make me think he can't really have 8 ranks of Balance or other Thief-Acrobat stuff. Instead, he might have a decent Dex, a lot of ranks in some acrobatic skills (maybe Climb and Tumble) but not in others (like Jump and Balance, maybe), and some kind of acrobatic-specific Luck feat. That sounds about right.

So ... I say:

Captain Jack Sparrow
CN Human Rogue 6 / Swashbuckler 3
Flaws & Traits: Noncombatant, Dishonest (not that his melee attack rolls and Diplomacy checks are bad; they're just not as good as his ranged attack rolls and Bluff checks!)
Feats: Persuasive, Lucky Catch, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse, Sly Fortune, Daring Outlaw, Advantageous Avoidance
Maxxed Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Swim, Know (Geography)(cross-class), Sense Motive
Other high skills: Tumble, Profession (Sailor), Sleight of Hand, Appraise, Escape Artist, Climb, Jump, Use Rope

I would have made him differently if I had only the first movie to base him on. Chaotic Good instead of CN, and with more swordfighting skill.

(All non-Core feats from Complete Scoundrel.)

Justin_Bacon
2007-10-08, 03:00 AM
Since he has his own movie Jack Sparrow would have to be at least LVL 16+

Really? You'd stat up Forrest Gump as a 16th level character? Or maybe even higher since his name is actually in the title and Jack's name isn't?

PS: Also, Aragorn is likely NOT low leveled, that's just Alexandrian's article.

Well, he's low-level if you actually use the rules. If you just have a big-number fetish and hero-worship Aragorn, on the other hand, he probably isn't.

There's a reason I didn't go into the later books: Aragorn's deeds become far too vague to put any meaningful numbers to. But this example is a particularly poor one.

Aragorn and Éomer and Imrahil rode back towards the Gate of the City, and they were now weary beyond joy or sorrow. These three were unscathed, for such was their fortune and the skill and might of their arms, and few indeed had dared to abide them or look on their faces in the hour of their wrath.

The key phrase here being "...and few indeed had dared to abide them or look on their faces". How few actually faced him? (Instead of facing the men around him? Or fleeing before him?)

And what effect, exactly, was Tolkien describing a little earlier when he said that Aragorn went "with the Flame of the West, Andúril like a new fire kindled"? And for the first time, Aragorn also dons the Star of Elendil and wears it upon his brow. What power did that charm have -- a charm that had protected Elendil himself from all save Sauron's wrath?

It doesn't matter what level you are if your DM has ignored the wealth-by-level guidelines and given you artifact-level equipment. :smallamused:

Justin Alexander
http://www.thealexandrian.nte

Dean Fellithor
2007-10-08, 04:31 AM
Really? You'd stat up Forrest Gump as a 16th level character? Or maybe even higher since his name is actually in the title and Jack's name isn't?

Yes, yes I would.

lvl 19 Momma's Boy / lvl 1 dimwit.

[/sarcasm]

srsly, this only applies to Action movies, there is no "Action" in forrest Gump, we don't see Forrest shootin peopler with Uzi's and stuff.

lets just point something out: Action Movies are about people who CAN ACTUALLY FIGHT, like Luke Skywalker, Jack Bauer and especially: Captain Jack Sparrow. these people would be marked as high level cahracters because they have skills that people don't usually dabble in.

plus Jack Sparrow has a goddamn ship! A SHIP! do you know any lower level characters that have a massive ship and a decent crew? NO

Kioran
2007-10-08, 04:33 AM
It doesn't matter what level you are if your DM has ignored the wealth-by-level guidelines and given you artifact-level equipment. :smallamused:

Which might just have DR 10/magic. Makes you nigh-on invulnerable to normal attacks.

Jack sparrow could be a mid level Expert for all practical purposes, since, in the only movie that mattered, the first one, he didn´t show any undue prowess or ridiculous powers. I´d go as far as saying Norrington is the best Fighter in the first movie, which, to me, makes lots of sense.
The two sequels? Apart from being about as entertaining as a hammer to the crotch, they do away with internal consistency alltogether, making statting out anything in them a moot exercise

Dean Fellithor
2007-10-08, 04:40 AM
Which might just have DR 10/magic. Makes you nigh-on invulnerable to normal attacks.

Jack sparrow could be a mid level Expert for all practical purposes, since, in the only movie that mattered, the first one, he didn´t show any undue prowess or ridiculous powers. I´d go as far as saying Norrington is the best Fighter in the first movie, which, to me, makes lots of sense.
The two sequels? Apart from being about as entertaining as a hammer to the crotch, they do away with internal consistency alltogether, making statting out anything in them a moot exercise

Anyone who Didn't know that Jack Sparrows Compass was Magical say "I".

>.>

<.<

Nobody has their hand up.

Ossian
2007-10-08, 05:03 AM
I second the "Aragorn is around 5th lvl" idea. In fact, that article GREATLY helped in converting our PCs from ald d&d to the 3.5, especially as it gave us a good perspective on what a 20th level character is. It would work differently in RCR STar WARs, where a Crit. can kill luke skywalker in 1 round, and having a 20th level Yoda is fairly balanced. In POTC, a higher than 8th level Jack Sparrow would allow him to cut through hordes of thughs like a hot knife through butter.

I'd say he's just single class Rogue (or Scoundrel, whatever is the best fitting class name), maybe and just maybe with 1 or 2 levels of sea-ranger, to account for his years of voyages and adventures, and his good seamanship. He's no Captain Nemo, Harlock, Bruno J. Grobar or J.T. Kirk, but he's more than decent at facing the hardhips of sea life.

What we see him doing is pretty much the result of luck and good chance since he's the star of a movie trilogy. God knows how many natural 20s he must have rolled to do what we saw him doing. He's a champion of charisma, he's reckless, he's got truckloads of style and attitude. All stuff that does not need feats ar special qualities.

At 7th or 8th level, 5th rogue/2nd ranger, he already legend, in my opinion.

Ossian

PS
Don't know any Sea Ranger Prc, it's just a class-varian easy to work out.

PPS
Hmm...maybe a Charisma score of 19 would still be appropriate. Good DEX and INT (higher skill points) but pretty low STR, CON and WIS. he's a bohemien drunkard with a damaged perception of what danger is! Not a gym freak who works out 6 days a week :smallcool:

Collin152
2007-10-11, 11:49 PM
Alright, how's this look?
(Snipped)

Well, I can't tell. Is he an Honorable or Dishonorable Dread Pirate? Bear in mind, I hav't looked at the prestige class since last year.

commander43
2007-10-12, 12:09 AM
I'd say he's probably a Rogue every luck feat he can get his greedy little hands on.

Also, he has a unique special power.

If he cuts a rope on a ship, he can be instantly transported to anywhere he damn well pleases.