PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass Monk

Nagog
2019-06-08, 04:29 PM
So, I have a character I've made that is currently a Monk, with a focus on their wisdom and constitution scores. While this is nice for tanking damage (a roll already fulfilled elsewhere), I don't have the damage output I'd like to. I've been toying with the idea of multiclassing into a spellcasting class to become a front line spellcaster, and am looking for some good low levels spells (or higher ones where applicable) that will enhance my physical damage output. What class/spells would you all recommend for such an endeavor? The spells I would like to include (but are not mandatory obv.) are:

Green Flame Blade
Inflict Wounds
Bestow Curse
Vampiric Touch
Shocking Grasp
Jump
Counterspell
Heroism
Flock of Familiars
Hold Person

These are just a few of the spells I've been looking at, so don't feel like I won't take a suggestion because some or all of these spells aren't on their spell list.

zinycor
2019-06-08, 04:36 PM
If what you are worried about is your damage output, rather than multiclassing I would take the magic initiate feat and take hex as your first level spell. This would work amazingly with the many attacks monks deal per turn.

TheExplosiveRog
2019-06-08, 05:04 PM
If you want crazy damage output, if you have 13 Charisma, you could multiclass into Warlock, then take Eldritch Blast to give you longer range, and Hex to throw your damage through the roof. Assuming you have no archetypes yet, here are some fun ideas.

Way Of The Shadow+Archfey Patron: If you take the Devil Sight invocation, you can throw around Darkness spells, then use your monk features to teleport in shadows, and Archfey makes you good at teleporting.

Way of The Kensei+Fiend Patron: Both of these send your damage through the roof, and with some of the Pact Of The Blade invocations, you can now summon any +1 weapon to hand. Summon your kensei weapon, and now everyone is basically screwed.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-08, 05:34 PM
Enlarge/reduce

Damon_Tor
2019-06-08, 06:36 PM
Your best bet might be to MC ranger and use Hunter's Mark. Your stats should already be in the right spots.

Your core competancy as a monk is your multiple attacks. It would be foolish to abandon them and try to get "damage" from spellcasting.

CTurbo
2019-06-08, 07:13 PM
You want more damage???

DON'T multiclass at all.... keep taking Monk levels, max Dex out ASAP, and use all your Ki on Flurry of Blows.

I agree with Damon_Tor that multiple attacks is your bread and butter, and going for damage spells is a terrible trap.

If you insist on multiclassing, go Ranger all the way. Revised Ranger if your DM will allow. Favored Enemy, Dueling Fighting Style, and Hunter's Mark will help a lot. Take at least 3 levels and Hunter would get you Colossus Slayer for an extra 1d8 per round damage, Horde Breaker gets you an additional attack that should be easy to use every round as a Monk, or Gloom Stalker gets you an extra attack every first round with extra damage attached.

Ebon
2019-06-08, 10:56 PM
Don't. Strictly speaking, the fastest route to more damage for a Monk is more levels, more ki, more ASI's, and more effective attacks. If you just want more damage, get a magic item like a Belt of Giant's Strength or a Sun Blade.

Have you even gotten to Extra Attack yet? Cause a lot of the spells you list replace your attack action with a casting, and aren't a good fit for a Monk with Extra Attack.

If you really want Green Flame Blade and Shocking Grasp, you probably want to take a dip in Arcane Cleric for those. Could give you some range, some utility and healing, but probably not a lot more damage.

You could also consider Light Cleric for a dip. Their Warding Flare ability works like extra Patient Defense slots by giving disadvantage to an enemy attack. Burning Hands could also be a lot of fun on a front liner with the mobility to set up your shots. But once again, I wouldn't really go here till after level 8.

The level 6 Monastic Traditions are usually too strong to delay (ie. the whole reason to be a Shadow Monk is to get Shadow Step) as well as getting magical unarmed attacks. Level 7 gets Evasion and Stillness of Mind, and level 8 is your much needed ASI. I typically weigh those last two levels versus whatever I might get in a dip or re-distributing Ability scores.

A Magic item can be a great addition, remember you can always still use Strength for all those Monk attacks, and with your pumped Wisdom your Stunning Strikes are going to be brutal.

Innocent_bystan
2019-06-09, 04:16 AM
, Dueling Fighting Style,
This doesn't combine with unarmed attacks, since you need to wield a weapon. None of the published fighting styles are particularly useful to a monk.

Mortis_Elrod
2019-06-09, 04:28 AM
This doesn't combine with unarmed attacks, since you need to wield a weapon. None of the published fighting styles are particularly useful to a monk.

Ideally For half a monks career (and sometimes more) you should be using a monk weapon. Personally i like spear or shortsword. You can throw a spear and its the biggest die for simple weapons. Half your attacks should really be with weapons early levels until your martial arts die catches up, and even then you might find a useful weapon.

Waazraath
2019-06-09, 06:18 AM
Agree that multiclassing into a caster isn't going to do much good for your damage. Continuing monk, improve dex, and use flurry all the time is your best bet. If you want to multi-class, your best bet is fighter imo; three levels get you dueling fighting style (usable with a monk weapon, not with unarmed strike), action surge, and (preferably) Battlemaster Maneuvers at 3. You also could go rogue for some sneak attack damage. I'd advise against reliance on Hex or Hunter's Mark - you don't have con save proficiency, so expect to loose the spells to concentration checks quite easily (especially when in melee) and they compote with your bonus action, for which you already have excellent uses.

And to be honest: even when working hard to increase damage, monk will never be a top damage dealer. If that's really what you want, I'd consider rolling up another character.

Vorpalchicken
2019-06-09, 10:35 AM
It would still help with your monk weapon attacks (usually) which could be 1/2 to 2/3 of your melee attacks.

Innocent_bystan
2019-06-09, 01:44 PM
Ideally For half a monks career (and sometimes more) you should be using a monk weapon. Personally i like spear or shortsword. You can throw a spear and its the biggest die for simple weapons. Half your attacks should really be with weapons early levels until your martial arts die catches up, and even then you might find a useful weapon.

It would still help with your monk weapon attacks (usually) which could be 1/2 to 2/3 of your melee attacks.

Not disputing any of this. I was clarifying a bit. In the context of multiclassing with monk, the fighting style isn't that fantastic. It's +4 DPR instead of +8 DPR. IMO, not worth multiclassing for.

As a small tangent, it really bugs me that a brawler monk can't benefit from any fighting style at all.

sithlordnergal
2019-06-09, 02:45 PM
If I were to multiclass as a Monk, it would either be into Ranger, for Hunter's Mark, or Cleric/Druid for the support spells. But even then, I find most Monks do just fine as a single class, and outside of the capstone they get really fun goodies at pretty much every level. And even then...You have enough stuff and get that final Ki Point to make the capstone worth it.