PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for setting up the first session of my Star Wars Saga Edition campaign?

MonkeySage
2019-06-09, 07:52 AM
I'm starting my 3 players off at the tail end of the Mandalorian Wars, in 3960 BBY, on one of the last worlds that the republic liberated (second battle of onderon). Actually starting them off either during or after the battle, haven't decided which- with the exception of the party's professional mercenary, I'm assuming that these players are all civilians who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and are lucky this planet isn't Malachor V.

The players are a scout, a scoundrel (former slave from Nar Shadda who stowed away on a Republic ship that she thought was headed somewhere else), and a soldier (an independent mercenary who very likely stole a set of Mandalorian armor).

I'm not so much looking for mechanical advice, more that I'm kind of looking to make a plan for the first few sessions.

redwizard007
2019-06-09, 09:46 AM
Players are at a lightly defended spaceport deep behind the front lines. Probably spread between customs, military processing, criminal detention, whatever. A surprise Mando attack, possibly involving suicide bombers backed by an assault team, or even a full scale military assault, disable most organized resistance. The PCs can mount a defense or fall back behind the onslaught. Either way, it's a bonding experience.

Players are all discovered/suspected of various minor crimes (such as stowing away, forging papers, whatever,) and are being held in a general detention center. Note, this is more like police lockup, not individual cells like the empire was fond of. Their weapons are being held at a security station just outside lock up. A Mando attack, or organized crime escape attempt offers a chance at freedom...

I can do this all day. Where do you want the campaign to go? I can do something more specific.

Pleh
2019-06-09, 10:49 AM
Just because this is a region where the Mandalorians are essentially defeated doesn't mean there aren't rogue groups running around. I think a big plot point here is the danger of being in a warzone.

The PCs seem like the... pragmatic sort. They are probably interested in the ample opportunity of the chaos. Maybe they aren't looting outright, but there's surely a lot of valuables lying around that have very recently become available (especially mandalorian equipment).

Honestly, one of the first priorities to any SW adventure is getting a starship. If they don't have one yet, stealing an abandoned (possibly damaged, but fixable) mandalorian freighter/shuttle seems like a great first overarcing objective.

This is also a great time to introduce long term NPCs. Maybe the republic isn't happy with the illegal salvage and we get going on a Pirates of the Carribean style chase where a particular republic captain takes a personal interest in catching the PCs.

These player characters seem to have some background. It wouldn't hurt to apply that sort of pressure. Maybe they see the devastation of Onderon and hear that Malachor was/will be worse and they have some vested intetest in Malachor, so they want to get to Malachor to find the person or other mcguffin before it is lost forever (if it isn't already).

Of course, another great angle is to lean into the lore. Onderon will be politically divided in a few years (during Kotor 2). Maybe lay down some of the foundation for that.

Honest Tiefling
2019-06-09, 11:38 AM
I'd consider starting small, but I also assume these characters don't know each other. Also, I don't know Star Wars, but here goes:

Invent an NPC, who works for the person who owned the scoundrel. This person is known by the scoundrel, but messed up so badly they got sent on the mission to retrieve the slave to get them off of Nar Shadda. So to get back into the good graces of their boss, they NEED to capture that slave alive and unharmed and are going to be quite desperate about it.

In doing so, they steal something from the scout, such as a vehicle or equipment to pursue her. Maybe consider an extra doodad above their current wealth level to really entice the scout to get it back. Given how players act in any universe, it stands a 50% chance of being exploded anyway.

The mercenary? Yeah, turns out someone on Nar Shadda REALLY hates this NPC and is wondering if someone wouldn't mind a bit of bounty hunting. Maybe an old contact who can get a bit of debt cleared or some fancy equipment.

So the three characters have three different reasons to find the guy and defeat the guy. From there, you can work in hints or hooks related to the larger story.

Personally, I like the jail idea, and I think the DM should write it out. But don't start with it. The players are likely to find themselves in jail (because all players are), so having a scenario planned out to whip out when they do will really help keep things rolling.

Beleriphon
2019-06-09, 01:38 PM
Honestly, one of the first priorities to any SW adventure is getting a starship. If they don't have one yet, stealing an abandoned (possibly damaged, but fixable) mandalorian freighter/shuttle seems like a great first overarcing objective.

I actually did this for my Saga game. At the end of the intro session they had a barely functional assault shuttle (no working weapons) and a droid pilot since none of the players had the necessary skills to fly the thing. First objective they had after escaping their predicament was getting the guns working.

Pleh
2019-06-09, 02:37 PM
I actually did this for my Saga game. At the end of the intro session they had a barely functional assault shuttle (no working weapons) and a droid pilot since none of the players had the necessary skills to fly the thing. First objective they had after escaping their predicament was getting the guns working.

In Saga edition, I thought it was RAW that flying a spaceship is a more or less universal skill (especially because the starship mostly flies itself with autopilot functions).

I'm not sure where the RAW on that would be (probably core rules under the Pilot skill), so I could be recalling house rules somehow.

But I like playing it this way, either way. In my games, the pilot skill is for doing dangerous or competitive maneuvers. It's for disengaging the autopilot.

A race with the Primitive quality probably needs training in Pilot to even run a starship's autopilot. But anyone else in the galaxy can fly a ship from A to B (assuming the can pass an astrogation check if they plan to jump to hyperspace).

You need a pilot for acquiring a ship if you expect people to try to stop you from taking the ship.

It's like how most people IRL can drive a car without rolling checks for failure. You want a professional driver to do movie stunts or race in the Indy 500

Beleriphon
2019-06-12, 02:26 PM
In Saga edition, I thought it was RAW that flying a spaceship is a more or less universal skill (especially because the starship mostly flies itself with autopilot functions).

I'm not sure where the RAW on that would be (probably core rules under the Pilot skill), so I could be recalling house rules somehow.

But I like playing it this way, either way. In my games, the pilot skill is for doing dangerous or competitive maneuvers. It's for disengaging the autopilot.

A race with the Primitive quality probably needs training in Pilot to even run a starship's autopilot. But anyone else in the galaxy can fly a ship from A to B (assuming the can pass an astrogation check if they plan to jump to hyperspace).

You need a pilot for acquiring a ship if you expect people to try to stop you from taking the ship.

It's like how most people IRL can drive a car without rolling checks for failure. You want a professional driver to do movie stunts or race in the Indy 500

General use sure, but in combat they needed the help. Any of them could have got it working enough to flee and exploding asteroid base, but I threw a pretty basic droid pilot to do the heavy lifting since I knew they'd trying to bring the thing into space combat at some point.

Pleh
2019-06-13, 04:30 AM
General use sure, but in combat they needed the help. Any of them could have got it working enough to flee and exploding asteroid base, but I threw a pretty basic droid pilot to do the heavy lifting since I knew they'd trying to bring the thing into space combat at some point.

Sure, but if they get a quest to obtain a ship, why give them a pilot droid for free? Quest 2: now that you have freedom to move about the galaxy, here's a set of quests you can pursue to get a skilled pilot. Choose one and the DM preps the next session.

Beleriphon
2019-06-13, 12:27 PM
Sure, but if they get a quest to obtain a ship, why give them a pilot droid for free? Quest 2: now that you have freedom to move about the galaxy, here's a set of quests you can pursue to get a skilled pilot. Choose one and the DM preps the next session.

There was always the chance they'd plow into a black hole with a stupid astrogation check. It was more my way of making sure they wouldn't blow themselves up in session two kind of thing. I made it very clear that the droid was skilled, but wasn't an ace pilot sort of thing. Plus, I liked doing a funny droid voice since I had a little portable fan I'd talk into whenever the droid talked.

Pleh
2019-06-13, 12:37 PM
There was always the chance they'd plow into a black hole with a stupid astrogation check. It was more my way of making sure they wouldn't blow themselves up in session two kind of thing. I made it very clear that the droid was skilled, but wasn't an ace pilot sort of thing. Plus, I liked doing a funny droid voice since I had a little portable fan I'd talk into whenever the droid talked.

Meh. I'd let them take 20 for astrogation if they're not in a hurry. Might take them hours more than a proper pilot or droid, but it's reasonable. Especially if the ship has a navcomputer

jintoya
2019-06-13, 03:45 PM
Whatever you do, don't involve any escape pods that you do not intend on a player getting into, this killed an entire planned campaign for our DM on session 1.
he presented us with overwhelming odds and we were evacuating the station that was under attack, we got everyone we could to safety and jumped on the last escape shuttle... He expected is to fight an army of droids.

He started another campaign next day and I irritated him by showing him how awesome playing a custom droid can be... You can do all the things essentially.

Pleh
2019-06-13, 04:52 PM
You can do all the things essentially.

Except Use the Force.

I know there are Iron Knights, but then you're not really playing a droid.

jintoya
2019-06-14, 12:28 PM
Except Use the Force.

I know there are Iron Knights, but then you're not really playing a droid.

I can use technology with my mind, that's kinda like the force...I can also vent the air out of control stations or rout all the carbon dioxide there (won't kill all enemies, but most air breathers) which stops my location from being discovered... Then I just clear a path for all friendlies and disable auto defenses...a single droid replaces a team of ninjas.
Of course a Jedi can just convince you to take him to the bridge... But that's no fun... Effective but boring

Nothing replaces the force... But I can do things they generally can't do also... Like survive in a vacuum on nothing but sunlight as long as I must

Worgwood
2019-06-16, 10:18 AM
If you open your game during the Battle of Onderon, you could place emphasis on finding food, water, shelter, and whatever else they're going to need to survive between two armies duking it out. Neither side is looking out for their best interests - the Mandalorians know they're going to lose and are destroying anything and everything they can get their hands on to keep it away from the Republic. The Republic are fighting desperately and are confiscating critical supplies from the locals to help them win. Then you could throw in some scavengers, thieves, and opportunists for good measure.

redwizard007
2019-06-16, 10:34 AM
I'm starting my 3 players off at the tail end of the Mandalorian Wars, in 3960 BBY, on one of the last worlds that the republic liberated (second battle of onderon). Actually starting them off either during or after the battle, haven't decided which- with the exception of the party's professional mercenary, I'm assuming that these players are all civilians who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and are lucky this planet isn't Malachor V.

The players are a scout, a scoundrel (former slave from Nar Shadda who stowed away on a Republic ship that she thought was headed somewhere else), and a soldier (an independent mercenary who very likely stole a set of Mandalorian armor).

I'm not so much looking for mechanical advice, more that I'm kind of looking to make a plan for the first few sessions.

So, what did you decide on?

MonkeySage
2019-06-16, 04:49 PM
Still working on it, but should have a plan by Wednesday! :3