PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ways to RP a flaw

Master O'Laughs
2019-06-09, 08:23 AM
So I thought this warranted a different thread, but recently my L7 fighter became a L7 Paladin.

As part of this change, I replaced my former flaw with one of my choice from the noble background. The one I ended up choosing was, "In fact, everything does revolve around me." It seemed fitting since we just traversed a mega dungeon to "reforge" me (I am a warforged).

Now I am trying to think of fun ways to bring up this flaw.

Current thoughts are:

- Possibly become nosier into other people's business
- Dismissive of other PC's interests (I am particularly thinking of a PC who is a conspiracy theorist) unless they coincide with mine.
- Take more of a lead in the group to enact my thoughts on party direction

Any other ideas? Do some of those not fit?

dragoeniex
2019-06-09, 09:16 AM
Be careful of dismissing other PCs and trying to assert leadership to express your flaw. From the brief summary given, it sounds like the team as a whole just went through a gauntlet to help you change your character. Taking your change-related flaw out on your teammates is a sorry way to repay them. There are plenty of ways to roleplay self-centered mindsets without this.

Misunderstanding the reason for conflicts happening to line up with what you specifically care about is a good one that lets you miss the point, but still respond in roughly the way the others were going to anyway. Ex: That assassin attacked one of your allies because she knew it would leave you more vulnerable to followup attacks, clearly! Or that thug murdered the fruit vendor down the street to inconvenience you; the wily brute must have seen you eyeing those peaches and guessed you were considering getting some tomorrow for breakfast. Alternatively and slightly more endearingly, get insulted when people bother allies because these are your allies and you did not say they could be antagonized.

Don't hoard more treasure and item drops than the others, but occasionally say "You're welcome" unprompted when someone picks up a good piece of loot. When asked why, you can flash a smile and point out your very presence contributed to this reward. Insert details as appropriate, or don't explain and just continue to smile benevolently. Just make sure not to do this all the time.

Start your description of any given character you're asked about with "They look just like me, except--" no matter how wildly different that character is. Ex:

"You actually met the general? What did she look like?"

"Well, the general looks just like me! Just one head shorter, tan, a woman, an InsertRaceHere, and with a royal crest shield and a missing eye."

or

"Y- you fought the lake monster? What was it like?!"

"Well, it was exactly like me! Except more scales, thrice as many heads, and a stomach that could fit two barns. Also less polite."

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-09, 09:20 AM
So I thought this warranted a different thread, but recently my L7 fighter became a L7 Paladin.

As part of this change, I replaced my former flaw with one of my choice from the noble background. The one I ended up choosing was, "In fact, everything does revolve around me." It seemed fitting since we just traversed a mega dungeon to "reforge" me (I am a warforged).

Now I am trying to think of fun ways to bring up this flaw.

Current thoughts are:

- Dismissive of other PC's interests (I am particularly thinking of a PC who is a conspiracy theorist) unless they coincide with mine.

Those are all realistic ideas for that flaw.

Think of some that won't annoy the players of the other characters also. Just verbally make a statement about how something revolves around you.

"If not for me sitting over in the corner sulking you wouldn't have been having soo much fun" or other semi-sensical stuff.

My concern is if you really nose into every bit of roleplay it may annoy your table mates but if you just kinda hint at it the point will be made and all may enjoy it.

Mercurias
2019-06-09, 09:37 AM
Current thoughts are:

I would try “aggressive helpfulness, especially in ways that either make little sense or actually make things worse (for inconsequential problems”.

Need something fetched? Please let ME get that for you!

Picking an outfit at a store? Friend you helped me remake myself. Let ME help remake YOU. Try these fantasy croc analogues, but remember the socks for optimum protection!

Chopping wood for your organic lifeform meals? This is a wonderful opportunity to try my new skills! TIME TO SMITE THIS WOOD!

dragoeniex
2019-06-09, 09:49 AM
I would try “aggressive helpfulness, especially in ways that either make little sense or actually make things worse (for inconsequential problems”.

Picking an outfit at a store? Friend you helped me remake myself. Let ME help remake YOU. Try these fantasy croc analogues, but remember the socks for optimum protection!

Chopping wood for your organic lifeform meals? This is a wonderful opportunity to try my new skills! TIME TO SMITE THIS WOOD!

These are great examples, and I love characters like this. If you are the hero of this story, after all, you must be heroic! And paladins often have a charismatic presence.

The one thing I would add is- as for any flaw expression- don't do this constantly. Make sure other people are actually getting to do things their way a majority of the time, and pipe up like this when it seems like the mood or moment has arrived. Doing it a couple times per session is a running gag. Doing it 5 - 22 times a session is hell.

Master O'Laughs
2019-06-09, 02:05 PM
Be careful of dismissing other PCs and trying to assert leadership to express your flaw. From the brief summary given, it sounds like the team as a whole just went through a gauntlet to help you change your character. Taking your change-related flaw out on your teammates is a sorry way to repay them. There are plenty of ways to roleplay self-centered mindsets without this.

That is definitely something I want to avoid. The conspiracy theorist was the only PC I have actually talked to and he suggested it. But I do not want to become a grating character in the party, more a laughabvle one when the flaw comes up so it is good fun for everyone.

Misunderstanding the reason for conflicts happening to line up with what you specifically care about is a good one that lets you miss the point, but still respond in roughly the way the others were going to anyway. Ex: That assassin attacked one of your allies because she knew it would leave you more vulnerable to followup attacks, clearly! Or that thug murdered the fruit vendor down the street to inconvenience you; the wily brute must have seen you eyeing those peaches and guessed you were considering getting some tomorrow for breakfast. Alternatively and slightly more endearingly, get insulted when people bother allies because these are your allies and you did not say they could be antagonized.

Don't hoard more treasure and item drops than the others, but occasionally say "You're welcome" unprompted when someone picks up a good piece of loot. When asked why, you can flash a smile and point out your very presence contributed to this reward. Insert details as appropriate, or don't explain and just continue to smile benevolently. Just make sure not to do this all the time.

Start your description of any given character you're asked about with "They look just like me, except--" no matter how wildly different that character is. Ex:

"You actually met the general? What did she look like?"

"Well, the general looks just like me! Just one head shorter, tan, a woman, an InsertRaceHere, and with a royal crest shield and a missing eye."

or

"Y- you fought the lake monster? What was it like?!"

"Well, it was exactly like me! Except more scales, thrice as many heads, and a stomach that could fit two barns. Also less polite."

All of those seem a lot of fun. The interesting thing is I have an integrated disguise kit so I could look like most humanoids, but I like the idea of slowly becoming more ego-centric in my descriptions.

This also has much win in it. I like the idea of being overly helpful, but in a slightly incompetent way.