PDA

View Full Version : Lucky, ideas on roleplaying wanted

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-09, 09:08 AM
Its important to me not to over annoy my party members of the DM especially and I would like ideas on what you all have said / done describing the lucky feat. My character is a Charisma / Dex Elf Bard with a Luckstone and a reputation for having skill points in everything.

Roleplay in combat is pretty simple to keep the game going so this should be easy, right?

On a success: "Through the weave I feel the attack coming before the xxxx even swings and I dodge out of the way of a sure hit"

Or on a failure: "Oops, thought I saw the bad guy's hips signaling a different attack. Guess things work differently for beings with 4 arms.

"Us elves just know what you Quaggoth are going to do."

My character tried this fancy spin move a ballerina would be proud of to dodge out of the way! Oops, it did not work.

How do you all do it?

"You have 3 luck points. Whenever you make an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you may spend 1 luck point to roll an additional d20. You can use this ability after the original roll, but before the outcome is revealed. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

You can also spend one luck point when an attack roll is made against you. Roll a d20, and choose whether the attacker's roll uses their d20 roll or yours.

If multiple creatures use a luck point on the same roll, they cancel out, resulting in no additional dice.

You regain expended luck points when you finish a long rest."

Segev
2019-06-09, 12:54 PM
The misjudged assessment of their stance happens to work out with the fact that they were feinting or doing it wrong. The twirl wasn’t graceful, but the wild stumble threw your blade into the path of the dodge he would have succeeded at performing if you’d not stumbled.

Cybren
2019-06-09, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure I understand at all why a success or failure using lucky would look any different to the characters. They don't see the original die roll.

dragoeniex
2019-06-09, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure I understand at all why a success or failure using lucky would look any different to the characters. They don't see the original die roll.

Seconding this. At most, I've seen re-rolls nodded to by the DM with little narrations like "The arrow looks like it's about to strike true, but at the last second..." You can get away with not acknowledging it in-story at all, no narrative gymnastics needed.

You led with saying it's important to you not to annoy your table. Good goal, but I'm curious why you think Lucky needs flavoring to avoid this.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-09, 06:35 PM
Seconding this. At most, I've seen re-rolls nodded to by the DM with little narrations like "The arrow looks like it's about to strike true, but at the last second..." You can get away with not acknowledging it in-story at all, no narrative gymnastics needed.

You led with saying it's important to you not to annoy your table. Good goal, but I'm curious why you think Lucky needs flavoring to avoid this.

My DM has a bit of a "Critical Role era purist" streak in him. Not always for the worst either and I don't totally disagree. We don't multi-class for purely mechanical reasons if it doesn't "make sense" for our characters. Some of my fellow players are in that camp also.

Aquillion
2019-06-09, 06:37 PM
You also have to consider the possibility that trying to explain it could slow down combat and annoy other players, though. I'd just play up the idea that you're lucky in other ways, especially outside of combat.

dragoeniex
2019-06-10, 12:06 AM
My DM has a bit of a "Critical Role era purist" streak in him. Not always for the worst either and I don't totally disagree. We don't multi-class for purely mechanical reasons if it doesn't "make sense" for our characters. Some of my fellow players are in that camp also.

Vax, the rogue from Critical Role's first campaign, had Lucky. While I admittedly stuck with highlights, summaries, and sporadic half-watched episodes to keep up-to-date, every time I've seen it come up has been without much fanfare. His player, Liam, typically just winced at whatever he rolled and said, "--and I'm going to use a luck point on that." rolls "...That's better; 34 stealth."

And that's about as involved as it needs to be.