PDA

View Full Version : Death master Incantatrix boosting spellcraft

Yogibear41
2019-06-09, 12:18 PM
Looking at a potential Deathmaster - Incantatrix Cohort for my Paladin of Tyranny character because deathmaster fits the story more than wizard.

Looking for ways to help boost my spellcraft check high enough to be able to persist 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spells without fail at Deathmaster 7/Incantatrix 3.

Will either be using an Illumian or a race that has +2 to int as the race. Starting Int will be 18 before racial modifier, max skill ranks in Spellcraft.

What items can help me boost my check up? I also have access to any Paladin spell of 1st to 3rd level that doesn't have the [good] descriptor.

OgresAreCute
2019-06-09, 12:36 PM
18 + 2 (race) + 2 (levels) + 4 (item) intelligence = +8
Max ranks = +13
Item familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) = +13
Masterwork spellcraft item (+2 circumstance)
You'll have +36 Spellcraft without needing any custom magic items, meaning a result of 46 on a take 10 spellcraft check.
That lets you persist up to 3rd level spells on a take 10 (DC 18 + [3*9] = 45). If your DM allows custom skill boosting items, you can go a lot higher. A +8 spellcraft item only costs 6400 gold by the guidelines in the DMG. You can also cast Battlemagic Perception (Heroes of Battle) for +5 to spellcraft, but I dunno if you have that on your list.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-06-09, 01:16 PM
Is there a reason you're going Death Master 7 into it, when you can meet the prerequisites at Death Master 5?

You're going with Incantatrix to persist his spells, but look at what spells on the Death Master spell list can be made persistent. There's absolutely nothing worthwhile except maybe Shield and Expeditious Retreat, and that's looking at every spell level. I recommend selecting a class that pulls spells from a core class spell list, maybe use Archivist and take Southern Magician to qualify for Incantatrix. It can still have the same flavor, he'll just want to animate a minion and use Awaken Undead on it.

In any case, say he visited the Otyugh Hole in CS to get Iron Will for 3,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it.

Yogibear41
2019-06-09, 02:12 PM
Incantatrix is to persist paladin spells not his own. Probably only going to take 3 levels in it for more death master features. Can't use divine caster class for Rp reasons. Death master has some divine spells as arcane, that's one reason I'm using it. Item familiar is probably a no go. I am using otyugh hole.

Blackhawk748
2019-06-09, 04:04 PM
Is there a reason why you're going with Death Master over Dread Necromancer? The spell list is better, the features are better and it would make a better Incantatrix as well as support caster.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2019-06-09, 05:11 PM
On the one hand, Death Master might be the least compatible full caster entry into Incantatrix. On the other hand, we're talking about an Incantatrix, so maybe it needs the power-down.

As far as spellcraft is concerned, the basics are ranks + int mod + 2 synergy (5+ ranks in k: arcana) + 2 masterwork tool + take 10 = 14+ranks+intmod. You want some form of competence bonus; a regular caster could persist Loresong (Dr. 335), but in this niche case it literally might be worth the Extra Spell feat just for the death master to have it. That +4+(1/2cl) basically covers it. Feats you can take are Skill Focus (+3), Shape Soulmeld: Mage's Spectacles (+4 insight, also UMD), and Magical Aptitude (+2). Temporary options for the more difficult checks include Heroism (+2 morale) and Share Talents (+2 circumstance).

To use Metamagic Effect to its fullest, the Death Master is going to want Ocular Spell and Chain Spell as well as Persistent Spell. That way your PC's non-personal spells such as Lawful Sword, Greater Magic Weapon and Favor of the Martyr can affect a large number of targets (such as undead minions).

Beware your PC's low caster level for dispelling purposes.

Yogibear41
2019-06-09, 06:13 PM
We can persist touch spells in our game so that negates the need for a lot of those feats. There are a handful of spells the death masters gets that dread necros don't that's the main reason I'm using it. Also the Paladin is going to use divine abjurant champion variant and reserves of strength.

Aegis013
2019-06-09, 08:26 PM
Purchase scrolls or a wand of Guidance of the Avatar (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)?

Or you can go the hard way and find a way to add it to the spell list. Wyrm Wizard 2 might be the best bet there, though you lose a caster level.