PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Formatting and feel of a homebrewed document.

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-09, 12:45 PM
I've been working on this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fqVaIbHNWRzWJ11L7aAuxxPqPdTp39zZ6DVBo7sXaD8/edit?usp=drivesdk) for a while now. It's a collection of tweaks my group uses to get exactly the feel we are looking for, and allows us to test some alternative rules to experiment with the effects.

I'm slowly transitioning to more of a finalised version, which leads me to formatting and phrasing.

My question is, how much text vs. data should I include? Should I add explainations and flavour texts whereever I can, or should I keep the text as bare-boned as I can?

Also, should I include the goals and reasons for each change or not?

I've been trying to make this an easier read since I started, which is very hard when I've never had the experience of reading it for the first time. I have no idea what needs clarification and what not.
Can you guys help me?

Ninja_Prawn
2019-06-09, 01:49 PM
For a collection of tweaks and houserules, I wouldn't suggest doing anything fancy in the formatting. I'd say to include fluff only when it's necessary to explain why a rule exists in-universe.

One thing it does need is a table of contents (preferably with hyperlinks). This document will be used by players as a reference so, if they're playing a particular class or using a particular ability, they'll need to be able to look that up quickly.

A brief introduction/statement of intent at the start couldn't hurt. As is, the first word in the document is "combat," which is a little... harsh. When you're writing anything non-fictional, it's better to ease people in rather than just throw detail at them from the off.

Durzan
2019-06-09, 02:58 PM
Um... could you tag it? Not sure what version of D&D this is for (prob 5e).

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-09, 05:27 PM
Tag, check
Table of content with links, check
Link to a second document with links to all the threads i've created asking about individual parts of the document, check
Short introduction, check.

Anything else you can see?

AdAstra
2019-06-15, 03:52 AM
If this is intended for your group, I see no reason to add anything that doesn't directly aid comprehension. So fluff could be used when the explanation for the tweak is fluffy in nature, and descriptions could be used whenever the intention is unclear or extremely important to state. Otherwise, probably best to can it, or at least place it really low on the priority list.

Even for wider distribution, it's probably best to only add flavor text where said flavor actually differs from the existing books. People will probably need an explanation on what half-dwarves are like. Half-Elves? Probably not, unless Half-Elves in your world have the ability to shoot lasers from their eyes, or turn into rabbits, etc.

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-15, 06:05 AM
If this is intended for your group, I see no reason to add anything that doesn't directly aid comprehension. So fluff could be used when the explanation for the tweak is fluffy in nature, and descriptions could be used whenever the intention is unclear or extremely important to state. Otherwise, probably best to can it, or at least place it really low on the priority list.

This is meant as a "read-with-me" and reference book for my players. Something I can link to when talking to a player, but not something I'll expect a player to read in his freetime. It's just to help me explain and remember the houserule choices I've made, and a comfortable platform to revise what needs to be revised. The problem right now is knowing where comprehension aid or fluff explanations are needed. I've been looking at this for so long, I have no idea what is crystal clear and what might need some explanation.