PDA

View Full Version : 12th Level Multiclass Sillyness

elyktsorb
2019-06-09, 01:37 PM
Okay. So I have the opportunity to make a 12th level character. I already have a, just in case, character made. So now, I'm looking for something dumb.

Essentially my idea for a character would be a bounty hunter, who keeps learning new classes to broaden his range or small scale bounties he can pick up, to the point this guy is a bunch of classes. 6 at least.

This is my stat spread. 12 13 14 11 13 10

I've tried wrapping my brain around something decent with this. This character does not need to be good at fighting, at most all he needs to be able to do is pick locks and be stealthy.

stoutstien
2019-06-09, 02:26 PM
Are those stats fixed? Your going to have hard time meeting stat prerequisite for alot of classes as is.

Innocent_bystan
2019-06-09, 02:50 PM
Hmm, I'd shoot for at least 5 levels in a single class.
I'd also try to get some cantrip way to deal damage, since that scales off character level. That way your damage output stays somewhat relevant.

That combined I'd go for a half-elf:
5 warlock (fiend, tome) , 2 rogue, 2 wizard (war), 1 sorcerer (favored soul), 1 cleric (knowledge), 1 bard

Which requires Cha 13, Dex 13, Int13 and Wis 13. Which is doable.
-> Str 10, Dex 13+1, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 12+1, Cha 14+2
In the end you'd end up with:

4 (rogue, take at 1st level) + 2 (background) + 2 (half-elf) + 2 (cleric, knowledge) + 1 (bard) = 11 skills, 4 of which you have expertise in + thieves' tools.
2 3rd-level spells per short rest
4 1st, 3 2nd level and 3 3rd level spells per long rest
3 invocations (2 + book of shadows)
up to level 3 rituals
16 cantrips
proficiency in some martial weapons, medium armor and shield
cunning action
a defense boost on a reaction
extra initiative
a saves boost once per short rest
bardic inspiration
1d6 sneak attack
1 ASI -> I'd put this one in Cha

I'd pick up the Agonising Blast invocation and the Mask of Many Faces invocation, get expertise in Stealth, Thieves' tools, Arcana and Religion. Be sure to get proficiency in the social skills.
You are now the ultimate face: pass yourself off as anyone, anywhere. Your mark won't be able to trust anyone, ever.

The rituals and cantrips will give you all the utility you need.

It wasn't a priority, but your combat skill will be okay-ish: 3x 1d10+4 as your default attack. 19 AC (half plate + shield), 2 ways to boost your saves and some THP on a kill. You also have access to fireball for some AoE damage. Hex your target, if you feel like you need more damage.

Be sure to use Disguise Self to dress yourself in Camo clothing, you might get advantage for doing so. Guidance yourself when picking locks.

dragoeniex
2019-06-09, 03:03 PM
Okay. So I have the opportunity to make a 12th level character. I already have a, just in case, character made. So now, I'm looking for something dumb.

Essentially my idea for a character would be a bounty hunter, who keeps learning new classes to broaden his range or small scale bounties he can pick up, to the point this guy is a bunch of classes. 6 at least.

I've tried wrapping my brain around something decent with this. This character does not need to be good at fighting, at most all he needs to be able to do is pick locks and be stealthy.

You could pick a race that gives +2 to the 11 starting stat and a +1 to the 12, bringing 5/6 of your stats to multiclass-permissible 13's. Probably leave the 10 in Int and be able to MC in anything other than wizard and artificer.

That said, you're going to be insanely ASI hungry spreading yourself so thin, so I'd advise doing this instead: Put both 13's and the 14 in whatever order for Char, Dex, and Wis- this is going to open up the biggest variety of MC options without eating up your racial boosts. If you decide paladin or barbarian must be on the option list, take a race that gives +1 to Str to knock that 12 up to qualifying. Or just change Str for the Dex. Ideally, whatever you go with, you want a +2 to that 14 for whatever your lead stat is going to be.

At lv 12, you can afford 4 levels straight of at least one class, so assume you'll be getting an ASI. This means you can still have a main stat of 18 in something, and a 14 somewhere else if the starting distribution lined up nicely. You might get a second, if you go 4 levels somewhere else, but that means taking the last four levels in different classes, and the cooler dips are often two-to-three levels in.

Others will likely have better build suggestions, but this is my recommendation for making your stat spread workable. If nothing else, paladin + bard + sorcerer is an easy, cheesy way to make a triple-class effective. Throw some barbarian in for fun, etc.

Vorpalchicken
2019-06-09, 03:10 PM
If you want to be more fightery, you could do 6 levels of fighter for two ASIS. I'd probably go Battlemaster with Archery style.

Start normal human to bump all your stats. S11 D15 C14 I12 W13 Ch14
Ending with D18 and W14

One level of shadow sorcerer will give you dark vision and a possible get out of death free card.

Two levels of rogue needs no explanation.

One level of monk is just to know kung fu. (And get by without armor)

One level of druid and one level of life cleric makes you a handy healer and gives you more slots. (Mostly for Shield.)

Bobthewizard
2019-06-09, 03:53 PM
To get 6 classes at level 12, I’d take all of the Charisma and Dexterity classes.

Half elf with stats of 13, 13(12+1), 14(13+1), 10, 11, 16(14+2)

Warlock 1 for Hex blade CHA to attack
Paladin 2 for Smites
Sorcerer 3 for Metamagic
Bard 2 for Jack of All Trades
Rogue 2 for Cunning Action
Fighter 2 for Action Surge

Your damage would be behind at level 12, but you'd have a lot to do. You’d be better off with just 5 classes, dropping one of the spellcasters and taking the other one to level 5. Swords Bard would be fitting, although it takes 6 for extra attack there.

Dork_Forge
2019-06-09, 03:59 PM

A fun concept and you can get something workable out of it. Okay so first go Half Elf and take the two 13s as your +1s leaving you with an array like this:

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 12
Int: 11
Wis: 14
Cha: 16

So going two levels of each class like you asked: Two levels of Fighter (Take Dueling), Two levels of Rogue (take stealth and Thieves' tools as your expertises), Two of Forge Cleric (slap your +1 on a Rapier), Two of Bard (3 bardic inspiration and Jack of all trades), Two Divine Soul Sorc (pick up booming and green flame blades and the favor of the gods is always nice) and finally two levels of Celestial Warlock (3 healing light die for healing, take fiendish Vigor to compensate for your lowish hp and one invocation to taste).

You end up with a competent character in combat (+1 Rapier makes you essentially +7 to hit with melee cantrips and dueling giving you decentish damage), with access to decent support spells (Upcast Bless of course) and healing. Expertise makes you defacto good at what you wanted and Jack of All Trades makes you a decent overall skill monkey.

Keravath
2019-06-10, 09:27 AM
If you want 5 or 6 classes then I'd lean towards using cantrips for damage and everything else for utility. You will need to maximize charisma and take eldritch+agonizing blast. Fill out some of the rest by having a lot of skills.

Half elf just for stats and extra skills.

12 13 14 11 13 10

10 13+1 11 12+1 13 14+2

10 14 11 13 13 16

No ASI or feats because you have too many classes and none reach level 4. If you cut down the pre-requisites for multi-classing you can get 14 con but only an 11 in one of int/wis.

---------

Hexblade warlock 2
Sorcerer 3
Lore Bard 1
Wizard 2
Rogue 2
Fighter 2

---------

Hexblade warlock 2
Knowledge cleric 1
Sorcerer 3
Wizard 1
Rogue 3
Fighter 2

--------- (swapped bard for sorcerer)

Hexblade warlock 2 (eldritch blast + invocations and cantrips)
Lord bard 3 (more skills and expertise, cantrips)
Knowledge Cleric 1 (expertise in two knowledge skills, cantrips)
Wizard 1 (rituals, cantrips)
Rogue 3 (scout for skills, arcane trickster for spells and cantrips)
Fighter 2 (action surge)

However, you will get a more playable class with the option for some ASI if you have fewer classes.

-------- (bumps cha to 18 and can have a 14 con - doesn't need wis 13)

Lore Bard 5
Warlock 2
Sorcerer 3
Rogue 2

--------

Rogue 5
Fighter 2
Sorcerer 3
Warlock 2

-------- (2 ASI, some spell and ranged support)

Fighter 6
rogue 2
warlock 2
wizard 1
sorcerer 1

-------- (3 ASI/feat)

Fighter 6
Rogue 1
Wizard 5/cleric 5/sorcerer 5/warlock 5