PDA

View Full Version : Powering Mitigate Suffering - Reserve Feat

Yogibear41
2019-06-10, 12:38 AM
Can the spell: Healthful Rest be used to power the reserve feat Mitigate Suffering?

ngilop
2019-06-10, 12:43 AM
Can the spell: Healthful Rest be used to power the reserve feat Mitigate Suffering?

YES

mitigate suffering says
As long as you have any restoration spell or another conjuration (healing) spell that cures ability damage available to cast, you can confer temporary ability points on yourself or to an ally. As a standard action, you can create 2 points + 1 point per level of the highest-level such spell you have available to cast. These ability points can be applied to any single damaged ability, raising it to a maximum of its starting score. Temporary ability points granted in this way disappear after 10 minutes, returning the subject to its previous damaged state unless some other effect restores the lost ability points first. You can use this effect on the same individual as many times as you wish. As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting conjuration (healing) spells.

healthful rest says
Healthful Rest
(Spell Compendium, p. 111)

Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Bard 1, Cleric 1, Druid 1,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature/level, no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

A diffuse glow of golden light spreads from you, wrapping those you have chosen in a soft nimbus. The subjects of your spell look relaxed and rested, the stresses of the day forgotten.
Healthful rest doubles the subjects' natural healing rate. Each affected creature regains twice the hit points and ability damage it otherwise would have regained during that day, depending on its activity level (PH 76).

bolded parts for emphasis. Since healthful rest is a conjuration (healing) spell and mitigate suffering says as long as you have a conjuration (healing) spell available to cast that heals ability damage it can be used. I'm not sure why the confusion on if it satisfies the requirements.

Yogibear41
2019-06-10, 12:51 AM
well I mean technically the spell doesn't heal it, it just speeds up your natural healing so idk, just seeing what other people think.

AnimeTheCat
2019-06-10, 08:17 AM
well I mean technically the spell doesn't heal it, it just speeds up your natural healing so idk, just seeing what other people think.

I mean, no it doesn't heal it like a restoration spell does, but you do heal more as a direct result of the spell. Had the spell not been cast you would only heal half as much, so the spell does have the direct result of restoring ability damage. I would be ok with it beacause the reserve feat is really just removing the need for the party to have a wand of restoration, lesser. That's it. Nothing absolutely breaking here, and it makes the Cleric (or user) a single-point of failure for ability healing if the party chooses NOT to take that wand. So, shouldn't be a problem in most games as this can't really be abused and doesn't really negatively impact the game in the same way something like Firey Burst at level 1 would (easy to do, human wizard 1 with the precocious apprentice feat for a fire spell at level 2, Firey Burst Reserve feat at level 1).