PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Revised Ranger multiclass advice

Goob
2019-06-10, 11:49 AM
Hey all!

I'm starting a new campaign soon with some homebrew rules and some UA allowed.
Important things to note:
-Revised ranger allowed
-Free feat at level 1
-Point buy
-Revised ranger has advantage on enemies who haven't taken a turn yet

I have been looking at doing a wood elf hunter conclave revised ranger (super original I know), but want to spice it up after level 5.
I have some questions and was hoping I could get some help in some theory crafting;

Would taking Crossbow Expert at level 1 and then Sharpshooter at level 4 be the best idea for feats? Or would a longbow with elven accuracy and sharpshooter be better? Also welcoming any other suggestions.

I was also considering going Elven Accuracy then multi-classing to champion fighter 3 for the UA close quarters shooter fighting style and crits on 19 and 20. Thoughts?

An obvious choice would be assassin rogue 3 for the cunning action, eliminating the need for close quarters shooter, as I can just disengage as a bonus action. Would also give me great damage with sneak attack.

A final thought that I haven't looked into much yet is a cleric.

I think this will be a super fun build with a flexible DM who is happy to make stuff work. Would love your input and suggestions!

ImproperJustice
2019-06-10, 11:54 AM
Revised Ranger 6 / Cleric or Druid x generally produces a very fun and versatile build with utility, combat capability, and some strong spell casting.

I have seen one in practice and it was a strong character.

DarknessEternal
2019-06-11, 01:00 AM
That's a very slow spell progression. Hardly what I'd call strong.

Cerefel
2019-06-11, 02:22 AM
That's a very slow spell progression. Hardly what I'd call strong.

Spell Progression isn't everything, but even still, the build ends up with 9th-level slots by level 20

CTurbo
2019-06-11, 05:32 AM
Revised Rangers are extremely strong to multiclass with. Rogue is probably best. I like Scout Rogue with Hunter and Assassin with Gloom Stalker. Ranger/Rogues are among the best archers/xbow experts

A few levels of Cleric or Fighter are also good too.

GlenSmash!
2019-06-11, 10:59 AM
I like Revised Rangers as first round ambushers. Since they have advantage against enemies that haven't taken a turn yet I want to maximize attacks on that turn.

Gloomstalker gives me an extra attack on that turn, and action surge doubles my attacks in that turn including the one from Gloomstalker. The next thing that can improve that is Assassin for autocrits (though there is redundancy for getting Advantage). I'd value this even more than the expanded crit range of Champion. Elven accuracy is a great choice for a feat due to getting advantage and Sharpshooter would be a good way to maximize damage in that first round, especially with triple advantage.

5+ Ranger/2-3 Fighter/3+ Rogue is really a real monster in the first round of combat. and no slouch in subsequent rounds too.

Wildarm
2019-06-11, 11:20 AM
Hey all!

I'm starting a new campaign soon with some homebrew rules and some UA allowed.
Important things to note:
-Revised ranger allowed
-Free feat at level 1
-Point buy
-Revised ranger has advantage on enemies who haven't taken a turn yet

I have been looking at doing a wood elf hunter conclave revised ranger (super original I know), but want to spice it up after level 5.
I have some questions and was hoping I could get some help in some theory crafting;

Would taking Crossbow Expert at level 1 and then Sharpshooter at level 4 be the best idea for feats? Or would a longbow with elven accuracy and sharpshooter be better? Also welcoming any other suggestions.

I was also considering going Elven Accuracy then multi-classing to champion fighter 3 for the UA close quarters shooter fighting style and crits on 19 and 20. Thoughts?

An obvious choice would be assassin rogue 3 for the cunning action, eliminating the need for close quarters shooter, as I can just disengage as a bonus action. Would also give me great damage with sneak attack.

A final thought that I haven't looked into much yet is a cleric.

I think this will be a super fun build with a flexible DM who is happy to make stuff work. Would love your input and suggestions!

RR is very solid, especially their level 6 ability is OP if you know you're up against a certain class of opponents in your campaign. I would take RR to level 6. Take Sharpshooter at level 1, max your dex with your ASIs. After that you can look at grabbing a bonus action attack with Crossbow expert but I'd stick to longbow for Tier1/2. You will have plenty of damage potential with sharpshooter plus advantage in the first round on some foes. I'd take hordebreaker as my hunter feature which lets you quickly snipe down cluster opponents.

After RR 6 - Rogue is by far the best class to multi into if you're looking to increase your damage potential. Cleric 1 dip has a lot of nice things too. Guidance cantrip and Bless are both solid things to add to your toolkit. You could progress further in cleric but I don't see it being critical. There isn't much in the cleric wheelhouse besides Spiritual Weapon which truly adds more synergy to a revised ranger in combat. If you want more out of combat spellcasting options though, keep up with cleric. Fighter2 is also a solid dip for pretty much anyone. +1 AC, 2nd wind and action surge.

I was playing a RR3/Rogue1/Cleric1 a while ago and he was an incredibly versatile skill monkey and very effective in combat even with the extra attack delay.