PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alternative Occultist Conjuration Resonant Powers

Segev
2019-06-10, 01:38 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?589532-Occultist-Conjuration-Resonant-Power-Is-it-useful-and-if-not-how-to-fix&p=23953234#post23953234) is a thread discussing why it's not useful to the Occultist himself (exactly two spells he could possibly know, glitterdust and major creation, can even theoretically benefit from it), and a few thoughts on what to do to fix it. No replies there, but I am including it here for reference, as this post is going to try to work out that last idea as an actual new resonant power.

To replace the existing resonance power, I am thinking of some sort of extradimentional storage.

Conjurer's Closet
When you invest mental focus into this implement, you select a number of items to store within an extradimensional space. A single item requires one point of mental focus if it fits within a five foot cube and would be a light load for a humanoid with strength equal to your intelligence. It requires two if it fits within a five foot cube and would be a medium load, and three if it would be a heavy load. For every point of mental focus beyond three, the item may fit into one additional five foot cube (arranged however you like) and weigh up to an additional heavy load's worth. You may store no more than your Occultist level in items in this fashion.

Once stored during the investiture of mental focus, whoever wears, wields, or holds the implement may remove the items from their extradimensional storage, or put them back, as follows:

Weapons thus stored may be drawn as if they were on your person, if you are able to wield them. Otherwise, items that fit in one hand may be drawn forth or put away as a swift action; items which require two hands to lift or manipulate may be drawn forth as a move action; and items which are larger than that or which you cannot carry require a standard action to retrieve or put away. Items always appear in a place you or the implement are touching them, and cannot appear if there is not sufficient space. You must be able to touch the item with the implement into which you invested the mental focus to return it to the extradimensional space. If you wish, you may draw the item forth as part of an action to use it, so long as that action takes longer than the minimum time required to draw it.

When you invest mental focus the next day, if you have not drawn forth the items, you must draw any which are still stored out of storage, though you may do so using the implement you have chosen for Conjuration for that day. You may re-invest to store the same items you've drawn out, or new ones, but you cannot leave any in storage.

Segev
2019-06-12, 09:08 AM
Not sure if the above one is overpowred, underpowered, or just about right, so any critique that is backed by some comparison or explanation and suggestion for improvement would be welcome.

This is another one, which has its own problems (not the least being potentially outmoding Side Step (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/occult-adventures/occult-classes/occultist/occultist-implements/)), but which could be fun. Basically, just steal Nomad's Step from the Nomad Psion and reshape it a bit to fit the mental focus mechanics:

Nomad's Step
The bearer of this implement may teleport up to five feet per point of focus invested in this implement as a standard action, to a maximum of 5 ft. per level of the Occultist. The bearer must have line of sight to the location and you can bring along possessions that amount to as much as a medium load.

I've deliberately kept the name, so that it can potentially benefit from the feat Fast Step (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/feats/fast-step-psionic/), and perhaps even help qualify for Elocater (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/elocater/), though it still would be a stretch to get there since Occultist is not a manifesting class.

Too much?

Ethereal Gears
2019-06-14, 08:18 AM
I think this looks fine and fun, and is definitely preferable to the regular resonant power for the conjuration school. My only concern is that maybe it's a bit too foolproof; i.e., the items in the extradimensional space are a bit too safe and inviolate. Maybe make it so if the implement leaves the occultist's possession, all items fall out of it? Then, the space can still be used for storage and to sneak stuff into various locations unnoticed, but if, say, the occultist is taken prisoner and disarmed, whatever he stashed with this power would get revealed.

I don't think the ability is generally overpowered though, so my note is just a suggestion. I think I'd prefer the ability to work like that, but I'm fine with it working either way and I really like the idea for the power.

Segev
2019-06-14, 09:09 AM
I think this looks fine and fun, and is definitely preferable to the regular resonant power for the conjuration school. My only concern is that maybe it's a bit too foolproof; i.e., the items in the extradimensional space are a bit too safe and inviolate. Maybe make it so if the implement leaves the occultist's possession, all items fall out of it? Then, the space can still be used for storage and to sneak stuff into various locations unnoticed, but if, say, the occultist is taken prisoner and disarmed, whatever he stashed with this power would get revealed.

I don't think the ability is generally overpowered though, so my note is just a suggestion. I think I'd prefer the ability to work like that, but I'm fine with it working either way and I really like the idea for the power.

Well, resonant powers usually give their benefits to whoever is holding/wearing the item, so presumably if you steal the Conjuration Implement, you can pull the stuff out (and put it back in!) as easily as the Occultist could. (I will go edit the text to make that explicit.)

Edit to add: I've also altered the "you must remove them before reinvesting focus" clause to explain what happens if you've lost the implement: you can draw any that are still stored out with the new implement before you devote focus to storing items, and may store the same ones retrieved or new ones. (If the conjurer's closet has been emptied by somebody else, though, you've no special power to retrieve them, nor make them able to be stowed once more.)

Ethereal Gears
2019-06-14, 10:10 AM
Oh, okay, well, after that clarification and the changes you noted, I think everything sounds dandy, then. I haven't played or GMd for a ton of occultists admittedly, so I'm not an authority, but I think this seems in line with other resonant powers, and is really flavorful and cool. Nice job!