PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 metamorphosis question / issue

samduke
2019-06-10, 02:21 PM
1: the psion power metamorphosis calls out this specifically.
You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form, or any other type except construct, elemental, outsider, and undead. The assumed form can have as many Hit Dice as your manifester level, to a maximum of 15.

Race Warforged - Psiforged body
Living Construct Subtype (Ex): Warforged are constructs with the living construct subtype. A living construct is a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex creation enchantments. Warforged are living constructs that combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures

the power by its own wording both works and yet does not.

2: psicrystal are constructs - but a psion can send powers to it and they share type construct, but again

so does it work or not in both cases ?

alternatively could one could metamorphosis self and maybe the psicrystal into something that did not have immunity to mind affecting powers that shared the same type and potentially work?

Segev
2019-06-10, 02:52 PM
I don't follow. What "both does work and does not" about this? I don't see whatever contradiction you're indicating; please elaborate more specifically.

Psyren
2019-06-10, 02:58 PM
1: the psion power metamorphosis calls out this specifically.
You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form, or any other type except construct, elemental, outsider, and undead. The assumed form can have as many Hit Dice as your manifester level, to a maximum of 15.

Race Warforged - Psiforged body
Living Construct Subtype (Ex): Warforged are constructs with the living construct subtype. A living construct is a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex creation enchantments. Warforged are living constructs that combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures

There's two ways to read that clause because of English being ambiguous:

(a) You assume the (form of a creature of the same type as your normal form), (or any other type except construct, elemental, outsider, and undead.)
(b) You assume the (form of a creature of the same type as your normal form, or any other type) (except construct, elemental, outsider, and undead.)

In reading (a), the "except" only applies if you're trying to change into something that doesn't match your normal form; if you are, even if your form is one of the ones on the forbidden list, the power works.

In reading (b) the "except" is absolute and applies whether you're trying to change into something that matches your type or not.

Pretty much everyone I've seen goes with (a), i.e. a warforged can metamorphose into other constructs while an elf can't, but like I said, it's ambiguous.; your DM will have to pick a reading.

2: psicrystal are constructs - but a psion can send powers to it and they share type construct, but again

The answer to this one largely depends on your answer to #1.