PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fighter Build Advice. First time using sphere's Might/power Level 3

Nosta
2019-06-10, 02:51 PM
Ok I think I have a Better Idea of what I want to do

I see that Non-Sphere classes can get Sphere of might Abilities

and I'd like to Build a Pole-arm user who has a lot of cool abilites

so I'd like Advice on my Talents?

I am thinking the lancer Sphere at level 1 then at level 3 Whirlwind Knockdown

Should I go with the pole-arm master archetype or Advance weapon and armor or lore-warden ?

I picture this character to be cunning and expert spear-man

stack
2019-06-10, 03:27 PM
What do you want to do?

With a polearm, I am assuming you want reach/control. Guardian (and a tradition that grants it) is a good start. Alteration for size change is great for reach (unless you have a friend to cast it on you. Ditto for Light with Encompassing Light (add in Glory for ease of use). You have relatively few talents and a lot of options, so we need more direction to give specific advice.

pi4t
2019-06-10, 03:51 PM
I'm afraid your question is too broad to give a useful answer to, so I'm going to respond to your question with another question: what is your character going to be like? What's kind of combat style do you imagine? What's the theme of his magic? Unlike with most first party content, Spheres characters are defined less by their class than by their choice of spheres, and an armorist is particularly flexible - it could do pretty much anything as long as it involves summoning equipment. (Although it's best if it involves martial combat in some way). Asking for general advice on which spheres to pick is a bit like saying "I want to play a half elf. What class should I choose?" The only reasonable answer that can be given is "pick whatever you like, as long as it fits with the group".

Once you've decided on some sort of concept (either a theme, like "phalanx warrior" or "poison on the end of a spear", or a choice of what spheres to focus on) the Playground will be able to help you choose talents to support that concept, but you need to give people something to work with unless you want them to write your character's fluff for you!

StSword
2019-06-10, 08:11 PM
Well yes, spheres of might and power talents are fun, but for an armorist, who doesn't get that many talents in the first place, you need to know what you want to do so your talents work together.

The wiki has a tricks and strategy page (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/tricks-and-strategies) that might either give you ideas on what kind of combinations you want to pull, or inspire to think of what combos you can pull off.

Nosta
2019-06-10, 09:07 PM
Ok I think I have a Better Idea of what I want to do

I see that Non-Sphere classes can get Sphere of might Abilities

and I'd like to Build a Pole-arm user who has a lot of cool abilites

so I'd like Advice on my Talents?

I am thinking the lancer Sphere at level 1 then at level 3 Whirlwind Knockdown

Should I go with the pole-arm master archetype or Advance weapon and armor or lore-warden ?

I picture this character to be cunning and expert spear-man

JerichoPenumbra
2019-06-12, 04:43 PM
Again, you're being on the vague side. You can do a LOT with spheres, and while what has been said about class not mattering as much as the talents you pick, class still does matter.

If you are using the Fighter Archetype, one thing to note is that it grants you a martial tradition but unlike almost all other archetypes it doesn't touch the Fighter's base proficiencies in weapons and armor.

Arminger is can be cool if your spearman is carrying multiple spears and cycles through different combos linked to each one, but might involve some book keeping. The Battlefield Tinkerer Archetype for Arminger can combine 3 weapons into one and nothing says that can't be the same kind of weapon. Or you could make them slightly different and make like a naginata-glaive-trident or w/e you want.

Conscript is hard to do wrong with, and has class options you might like. Such as picking up Finesse Training and the Speardancer talent from the Equpiment sphere so you can use Dex for attack and damage with spears once you hit 4th level. You can choose Sphere Specialization with the Lancer Sphere, but unless your group is heavily using SoM the later benefits of Lancer Specialization aren't that great in my opinion. Best benefit of it is getting rid of the -2 when using Impale which isn't that bad if you have flanking partner's and buffs. Maneuver Master taking trip first and then disarm or something will give you more tricks later in your career.

If you're interested in picking up Whirlwind Knockdown then base Duelist sphere is useful, since for every successful trip you deal bleed damage. Open Hand Sphere's Snap Kick talent, despite it's name, does not have to be an unarmed strike so you can get an AoO on the people you just tripped and if you succeed they have to make a save of be staggered. Athletic's sphere Mobile Striker talent can be used in conjunction with this making you a mobile lockdown effect should everything proc. Combat Reflexes is a must for this, as is the Swift Reflexes from the Guardian Sphere, and the SoM Combat trait that gives +1 AoO is reccommended. Duelist Sphere also has many options that can utilize AoO or build off of the previous selection, like Draw Cut or Hurricane Strike.