PDA

View Full Version : What non-orchestral music do you like playing during combat?

HisDirkness
2019-06-10, 04:37 PM
Everyone loves that epic battle music we all play during our combat scenarios, a la critical role themes, fantasy movie soundtracks and what have you. But every so often I like to go for a different feel. For example, lately I've been playing Sinnerman by Nina Simone during combat. I saw the fight scene the scored to that in the Umbrella Academy and just loved the feel of it. So do any of you other DMs out there have music more in that vein you like playing during combat?

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-10, 04:44 PM
Anything by Dance with the Dead.

I also like the song Vincent Price, for missions involving the wilderness, night, stealth, or wolves. Or a mixture of them all.

I like some old west-style music for some of my campaigns, stuff you might find with KALEO and some others. A bit more lyrical, but they suit well enough. Lastly, I have a playlist of songs that adventurers might hear in various bars, stuff like Devil's Train and Black John (in modern fantasy).

To better accommodate human speech while songs are going on, install an equalizer on your PC and turn down all of upper-mid range frequencies (200 Hz to 6000 Hz), so that your players can still talk without the music interrupting.

Rukelnikov
2019-06-10, 04:50 PM
Various Final Fantasy's battle themes, Power Metal (Rhapsody in particular, though it has many similitudes with orchestral), Anime themes, anything fast paced

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-10, 04:54 PM
Our table usually runs Powerglove or tracks from Doom 2016.

stoutstien
2019-06-10, 05:05 PM
Deathlok, rainbow, tyr, orden ogan, powerwolf, sabaton, unleash the archers, ale storm(for sea campaigns), coheed and Cambria, brothers bright, brothers dege, nightwish, Amon amarth.....and alot of Viking metal

Wryte
2019-06-11, 01:03 AM
A combat encounter a couple months ago occurred when the party had a flute-playing bard NPC in tow with them. One of the PCs asked her to provide battle music.

A quick youtube search later, and I was very pleasantly surprised. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODLddc_7X7U)

Waazraath
2019-06-11, 02:21 AM
Most metal is great with epic sounds. I often play the already mentioned Tyr, Alestorm and Sabaton (and can imagine Rhapsody working just fine as well, though I don't have it on cd - yeah I still use those). I also play Emperor, Bal Sagoth (for those who don't know it: great mixture between over the top epic metal sounds combined with the soundtrack of the Conan movies), Iron Maiden, Tristania, Heidevolk. Most power, folk, viking metal will do, as quite some black and other sub styles as well.

(don't play it only during combat though, just in general as background music).