PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Level 4 Monk Readied Action...shove dex vs str?

blackjack50
2019-06-11, 10:01 AM
So I have a question on readied action and how this would work with a “prepared defensive reaction.” So here is the scenario.

Players have cornered an NPC on a cliff. I’ve closed to within 5 feet. We are interrogating him, but if he raises his hands I want to send him off the cliff.

Now. This would be EASY with a monk Flurry of Blows strike where I’d burn a Ki and he would have to make a strength save to or be knocked back 15 feet (which would be well off the cliff). If this were combat. But it isn’t. He is talking. So I have questions and I’d like to know if anyone sees any potential rule violation here.

I don’t think I should have to burn a ki point. I should be able to push kick him or shove him off as my “reaction.” He would still contest this, but I don’t really see any potential issues with the attempt.

So the real question is...a monk gets to use their dex in place of their strength for a melee strike. But for a “shove” that isn’t the case. But if I flavor a “push kick” would I be able to make this a dex based attack? Or since the object is to “shove” the NPC with the kick? What do y’all think? Seems to be I’d have to burn a ki to use my dex, but I’d be able to “shove” as a strength contested reaction?

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-11, 10:09 AM
So I have a question on readied action and how this would work with a “prepared defensive reaction.” So here is the scenario.

Players have cornered an NPC on a cliff. I’ve closed to within 5 feet. We are interrogating him, but if he raises his hands I want to send him off the cliff.

Now. This would be EASY with a monk Flurry of Blows strike where I’d burn a Ki and he would have to make a strength save to or be knocked back 15 feet (which would be well off the cliff). If this were combat. But it isn’t. He is talking. So I have questions and I’d like to know if anyone sees any potential rule violation here.

I don’t think I should have to burn a ki point. I should be able to push kick him or shove him off as my “reaction.” He would still contest this, but I don’t really see any potential issues with the attempt.

So the real question is...a monk gets to use their dex in place of their strength for a melee strike. But for a “shove” that isn’t the case. But if I flavor a “push kick” would I be able to make this a dex based attack? Or since the object is to “shove” the NPC with the kick? What do y’all think? Seems to be I’d have to burn a ki to use my dex, but I’d be able to “shove” as a strength contested reaction?

You might want to clarify that you're an Open Hand Monk. Without that, a lot of what you're describing doesn't make much sense.

Technically, what you're describing is impossible using the standard rules. You can't use your Open Hand features without a Flurry of Blows, and Flurry of Blows requires a Bonus Action, and Bonus Actions can only be used on your turn.

Unofficially, I'd just allow the Monk to Ready their Flurry of Blows with their Action, as long as you pay the required Ki cost.
I'd also allow the Monk to use their Dexterity for Shoves/Grapples too, but I'd still have it be an Athletics check.

Corran
2019-06-11, 10:15 AM
You are talking with an NPC. You are out of combat. There are no ready actions out of combat. When either you or the NPC or anyone else present declares a threatening action, everyone rolls initiative. As far as I know, that's how it works RAW.