PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A CA Feats

RNightstalker
2019-06-11, 07:40 PM
I'm probably overthinking this (wouldn't be the first time) and wanted some extra input.

Three feats in particular:
-Mage Slayer
-Pierce Magical Concealment
-Pierce Magical Protection

They all lower caster level by four levels. If a(n) (N)PC doesn't have any spellcasting classes or abilities, is it just "Oh well, moving on..." as I don't see having spellcaster levels being a prerequisite.

Polymorpheus
2019-06-11, 07:56 PM
That seems to be the case, yes.

mabriss lethe
2019-06-11, 09:30 PM
I assume that the thinking was something like creating a penalty specific to casters to keep the feats relatively exclusive to mundane types.

Biggus
2019-06-11, 10:25 PM
I think the idea is that they're not intended for mages to use in duels with other mages, they're intended to equalise a fight between mages and non-mages a bit. That they're not meant for spellcasters is made pretty clear by the latter two feats mentioning "your contempt for magic" in the text. So no, you don't have to have caster levels to take them: the only disadvantage is that they effectively prevent you from ever becoming a caster in the future.

Jowgen
2019-06-12, 07:03 AM
Note that while the text doesn't mention it, the table for feats actually notes them as fighter bonus feats, making them more accessible.

jdizzlean
2019-06-12, 10:23 AM
I assume that the thinking was something like creating a penalty specific to casters to keep the feats relatively exclusive to mundane types.

pretty much this, but if you were a gish of some sort, you could take the first feat in the chain, and then take practiced spellcaster to negate it, but that is 2 feats gone (and some skill point investment) for negating defensive casting. could be a steep cost, could be doable, depends on you and your specific build.

RNightstalker
2019-06-12, 05:20 PM
Note that while the text doesn't mention it, the table for feats actually notes them as fighter bonus feats, making them more accessible.

That is an excellent catch! Kudos to you, sir!

Thurbane
2019-06-12, 05:33 PM

That is an excellent catch! Kudos to you, sir!

Indeed, excellent find Jowgen. I was completely unaware of this.

weckar
2019-06-12, 07:30 PM
I thought it was common practice to take Mage Slayer on a Knight - and that most of the class's reworks actually make a class feature? The synergy with Bulwark of defense is so nice and all.