PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Building a tempest cleric

Bullman
2019-06-12, 10:14 AM
So I'm joining a new campaign soon and would like to ask you guys about some issues on character creation.

I've thought about making a Vhuman tempest cleric for a couple reasons. I think that a human character would best fit the setting and it also fits my character concept. There really is no reason to take standard human over variant so I'll take the Vhuman. Tempest cleric is something that I have wanted to play for a while now. I just like the image of my PC unleashing thunder and lightning from his hammer.

For the feat I'm thinking about maybe Magic initiate (sorcerer) for Booming blade, Gust and Shield. Gust is just for thematic reasons, I know it looks kinda underwhelming. The lore would be that he was either struck by a lightning or thrown far away by a whirlwind as a baby, and he would later find his innate abilities granted in birth. Other option would be War caster for obvious reasons. Maybe even tough to be a better tank or skilled. Does the Magic initiate look too cheesy to you? Do I overshadow our Fighter if I have BB, spiritual weapon and spirit guardians combined with full casting?

So, does my idea look viable to you mechanically and thematically? Do you have any recommendations for the feats or background? It's my first post on the forum so all help will be appreciated. Also any tips on posting are helpful.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-12, 10:23 AM
So I'm joining a new campaign soon and would like to ask you guys about some issues on character creation.

I've thought about making a Vhuman tempest cleric for a couple reasons. I think that a human character would best fit the setting and it also fits my character concept. There really is no reason to take standard human over variant so I'll take the Vhuman. Tempest cleric is something that I have wanted to play for a while now. I just like the image of my PC unleashing thunder and lightning from his hammer.

For the feat I'm thinking about maybe Magic initiate (sorcerer) for Booming blade, Gust and Shield. Gust is just for thematic reasons, I know it looks kinda underwhelming. The lore would be that he was either struck by a lightning or thrown far away by a whirlwind as a baby, and he would later find his innate abilities granted in birth. Other option would be War caster for obvious reasons. Maybe even tough to be a better tank or skilled. Does the Magic initiate look too cheesy to you? Do I overshadow our Fighter if I have BB, spiritual weapon and spirit guardians combined with full casting?

So, does my idea look viable to you mechanically and thematically? Do you have any recommendations for the feats or background? It's my first post on the forum so all help will be appreciated. Also any tips on posting are helpful.

It does, just keep in mind a few things:

Storm Sorcerer provides all of those cantrips, while also letting you fly around as you cast your leveled spells. The benefit of going standard Human is being able to multiclass very comfortably, so that taking a single level into Sorcerer won't require much of an expense. You could almost accomplish the same thing, and get a bit more features, by going Standard Human-Sorcerer 1/Cleric X.

A common combination that a lot of people do with Tempest Cleric is picking up Spell Sniper for Booming Blade. It allows you to unleash Booming Blade from a reach weapon, which seems pretty cool to a lot of people.

I'll be honest, you'll probably overshadow your Fighter unless your DM focuses on daily attrition. If you guys are only ever having 1-2 fights, you'll be allowed to dominate the battlefield. To give you an idea, assuming you have a Short Rest between each fight, the Fighter will break even with you probably about the 3rd fight in a day. Any less than that, and you'll outpace him.

Bullman
2019-06-12, 10:53 AM
It does, just keep in mind a few things:

Storm Sorcerer provides all of those cantrips, while also letting you fly around as you cast your leveled spells. The benefit of going standard Human is being able to multiclass very comfortably, so that taking a single level into Sorcerer won't require much of an expense. You could almost accomplish the same thing, and get a bit more features, by going Standard Human-Sorcerer 1/Cleric X.

A common combination that a lot of people do with Tempest Cleric is picking up Spell Sniper for Booming Blade. It allows you to unleash Booming Blade from a reach weapon, which seems pretty cool to a lot of people.

I'll be honest, you'll probably overshadow your Fighter unless your DM focuses on daily attrition. If you guys are only ever having 1-2 fights, you'll be allowed to dominate the battlefield. To give you an idea, assuming you have a Short Rest between each fight, the Fighter will break even with you probably about the 3rd fight in a day. Any less than that, and you'll outpace him.

Thank you for a quick response. I'm a bit worried about delaying my progression as a cleric if I multiclass into Storm sorcerer. Thematically it would fit though.

I'm planning to use shield to be more like a tank so no reach weapons for me.

OK, I probably shouldn't take the Magic initiate (at least not on first level) to not look too cheesy and powergamey. I'll try to stick to the cleric stuff. Besides, the setting isn't even in Faerun (but we still have SCAG) so it isn't exactly legit lore.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-12, 10:56 AM
Thank you for a quick response. I'm a bit worried about delaying my progression as a cleric if I multiclass into Storm sorcerer. Thematically it would fit though.

I'm planning to use shield to be more like a tank so no reach weapons for me.

OK, I probably shouldn't take the Magic initiate (at least not on first level) to not look too cheesy and powergamey. I'll try to stick to the cleric stuff. Besides, the setting isn't even in Faerun (but we still have SCAG) so it isn't exactly legit lore.

One level isn't enough of a progression loss to really be considered, especially since you're a half-martial. Some people even take Sorcerer up to level 3 for Metamagics and have good results.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-12, 11:12 AM
You could get elemental adept, though I'm not sure if that's even a good feat. At least it raises your minimum damage.

solidork
2019-06-12, 02:27 PM
The thing about Booming Blade is that it doesn't really matter that much until at least level 5, so you aren't going to overshadow anything with it at level 1.

Bullman
2019-06-12, 03:20 PM
The thing about Booming Blade is that it doesn't really matter that much until at least level 5, so you aren't going to overshadow anything with it at level 1.

You are right but I would like to have stat upgrades at levels 4 and 8. I don't really need many feats for the build so it would be wise to plan ahead with my starting feat. In fact, I wouldn't even need it before level 5 since I mostly want it for the improved melee attack damage, not the rider effect.

Laserlight
2019-06-12, 03:48 PM
After L5, you won't be doing melee attacks for anything important. I liked BB, it was thematic, but it wasn't really useful.

I did 1 level Storm Sorc, the rest Tempest, and it worked well. Take Chromatic Orb as one of your Sorc spells.

Galadhrim
2019-06-12, 09:26 PM
I did a very similar build. V. Human with magic initiate for booming blade and find familiar instead of shield (I thought the raven was very thematic for a tempest cleric). Booming blade was fun. You don't use it every turn for certain, but it is great to cast the same turn you put up your spiritual weapon, and as your action after you already have up spiritual weapon and spirit guardians if the combat lasts that long.

You will want warcaster. Warhammer + shield makes it very useful, better concentration is awesome, and booming blade as an opportunity attack is fun. Personally I would take magic initiate first if you take find familiar but warcaster first if you take shield. Start with 16 str and wisdom. At level 8 take +2 wisdom. This character will be loads of fun with plenty to contribute in almost every situation.

Bullman
2019-06-13, 09:23 AM
After L5, you won't be doing melee attacks for anything important. I liked BB, it was thematic, but it wasn't really useful.

I did 1 level Storm Sorc, the rest Tempest, and it worked well. Take Chromatic Orb as one of your Sorc spells.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll put BB on hold.

I did a very similar build. V. Human with magic initiate for booming blade and find familiar instead of shield (I thought the raven was very thematic for a tempest cleric). Booming blade was fun. You don't use it every turn for certain, but it is great to cast the same turn you put up your spiritual weapon, and as your action after you already have up spiritual weapon and spirit guardians if the combat lasts that long.

You will want warcaster. Warhammer + shield makes it very useful, better concentration is awesome, and booming blade as an opportunity attack is fun. Personally I would take magic initiate first if you take find familiar but warcaster first if you take shield. Start with 16 str and wisdom. At level 8 take +2 wisdom. This character will be loads of fun with plenty to contribute in almost every situation.

I like the idea of raven but I'm not a too big fan of having a "pet". And I'm also afraid that I would rarely cast Find familiar. How about Feather fall? It would fit the wind theme but I guess it doesn't come into play too often, either. But when the time comes, you're gonna want it.

I will probably for now take War caster and see what happens. I'll have BB at level 4 if need be. Also Shield should be better when I have higher level slots. I don't want to waste my precious 1st level spell slots at levels 1-3 but later on I can just spam it.

Galadhrim
2019-06-13, 12:48 PM
I like the idea of raven but I'm not a too big fan of having a "pet". And I'm also afraid that I would rarely cast Find familiar. How about Feather fall? It would fit the wind theme but I guess it doesn't come into play too often, either. But when the time comes, you're gonna want it.

I will probably for now take War caster and see what happens. I'll have BB at level 4 if need be. Also Shield should be better when I have higher level slots. I don't want to waste my precious 1st level spell slots at levels 1-3 but later on I can just spam it.

That makes sense. Shield is amazing on a heavily armored cleric. It will be useful so often compared to feather fall. It also will give you some choices. Sometimes you will want to save spell slots and take hits, so you can deal some lightning damage in retribution.