PDA

View Full Version : What alignment could be this character?

Conradine
2019-06-12, 10:46 AM
He's a thief / ranger.

He was a peasant that fled when his feudal noble tried to conscript him for war.
He feels no obligations to laws and nobility.
He never stole from the needy but sometimes stole food from crops to fill his belly without investigating consequences.
He robs the body of the dead on battlefields, caring nothing for race, alignment or what side they fought for. In his mind, once dead you need nothing anymore.
He carries the wounded he finds on battlefields to the nearest Good temple or, lacking that, village / inn / hospital, caring nothing for race, alignment or what side they fought for. In his mind, if you need help you need help and that's it.
He spends most of his money in alchool, gambling and whores. But if a poor asked for a meal he would never refuse.
He don't kill or use violence unless in self defence ( and even then he doesn't like it ).
He don't feel compelled to right wrongs or fight for the weak, but he would hide or otherwise help these people if he can do that without risking his life too much.
He would never resort to torture, exept mind tricks and threats like "I'll not hurt you but I'll spread the rumor you helped the cops, so your ex-friends will definetly hurt you".
He lies, cheats and con freely to achieve his ways, but without hurting innocents.
He don't betray friends but may act a bit shady to get the better from any bargain or situation.

Karl Aegis
2019-06-12, 11:09 AM
I can see a Chaotic Evil character being like this.

GrayDeath
2019-06-12, 11:34 AM
Lets have a go.

He's a thief / ranger.

He was a peasant that fled when his feudal noble tried to conscript him for war.
He feels no obligations to laws and nobility.

Strong non-lawful

He never stole from the needy but sometimes stole food from crops to fill his belly without investigating consequences.

Keeping yourself alive without hurting others is the definition of neutral.

He robs the body of the dead on battlefields, caring nothing for race, alignment or what side they fought for. In his mind, once dead you need nothing anymore.

Mildly non-lawful.

He carries the wounded he finds on battlefields to the nearest Good temple or, lacking that, village / inn / hospital, caring nothing for race, alignment or what side they fought for. In his mind, if you need help you need help and that's it.

Rather strong Good tendency here.

He spends most of his money in alchool, gambling and whores. But if a poor asked for a meal he would never refuse.

Slight good and medium Chaotic Tendency here.

He don't kill or use violence unless in self defence ( and even then he doesn't like it ).

No real tendency here, pacifism is neither good nor evil, lawful nor chaotic.

He don't feel compelled to right wrongs or fight for the weak, but he would hide or otherwise help these people if he can do that without risking his life too much.

neutral with a very slight good tendency.

He would never resort to torture, exept mind tricks and threats like "I'll not hurt you but I'll spread the rumor you helped the cops, so your ex-friends will definetly hurt you".

Slightly non-Evil.

He lies, cheats and con freely to achieve his ways, but without hurting innocents.

Strong non-Evil, slight chaotic tendency.

He don't betray friends but may act a bit shady to get the better from any bargain or situation.

neutral again.

Overall I would put the Character somewhere between true neutral and Chaotic Good. Since you didnt post any STRONG preference for any of his Actions, probabl the "Deosnt really care enough to decide" True Neutral Type, with medium Leanings towards Chaos and weaker onesGood.

RNightstalker
2019-06-12, 05:16 PM
I would go CN.

Eldonauran
2019-06-12, 05:21 PM
I would go CN.

Agreed. Though, maybe simply Neutral. Anyone can have thoughts or desires that shift from good and evil, law and chaos, even the good and evil folk can have and act on those impulses, but it is what they will do when the going gets tough that reveals them for what they are.

Kish
2019-06-13, 05:58 PM
Chaotic or True Neutral.

Kyberwulf
2019-06-13, 07:03 PM
I would say Neutral.

He isn't really chaotic nor lawful. Chaotic people wouldn't have such an aversion to the really evil things like hurting people or innocents. Yet, he doesn't really go out of his way to uphold any laws or really any Strict moral code.

Also, nothing in his description screams malice or any propensity to evil. I mean he does mildly evil stuff, but is acts of altruisms that kind of balance things out. Although I don't get the sense he is doing the good deeds for the sake of doing good deeds.

MisterKaws
2019-06-13, 07:07 PM
Mildly Chaotic, mildly Good, so either those or Neutral. Up to you or your DM I guess, but it would change rather quickly during play until it stabilized at one of those.

icefractal
2019-06-13, 09:06 PM
CN with CG tendencies, but could be anywhere in the NN-CG corner.

Eldonauran
2019-06-14, 09:53 AM
... Chaotic people wouldn't have such an aversion to the really evil things like hurting people or innocents. Technically, that falls more within the boundary of the Good vs Evil alignment spectrum.

People who are neutral with respect to good and evil have compunctions against killing the innocent but lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others. Neutral people are committed to others by personal relationships.

Just wanted to comment on that to clear up something that I often see misused on the Chaotic end of the spectrum. Chaotic Neutral people still feel 'bad' about hurting the innocent, they are just more prone to justifying it more than a Good person would be (who actively goes well out of their in order to avoid it, at personal cost).

Skyrender
2019-06-14, 03:12 PM
Seems to me the character is Chaotic Neutral with some light leanings toward the Good end of the spectrum.

Kyberwulf
2019-06-14, 07:00 PM
Yeah, Neutral people can still feel bad about hurting Innocent people. The thing is, they would still hurt said people.

The thing about having the aversion of really evil things, isn't ONLY a Good Evil thing. It is also part of the LAW/CHOAS thing. The thing about his aversion is it suggestion that he has a code of honor that he won't cross, or that guides his actions. I mean it isn't a hard LAWFUL set or rules that would make him Lawful Neutral. I would say there is enough of a respect for some kind of Rules, again not Laws that are put forth by a government, but an internal set of rules that it pulls out completely out of the Chaotic realm.

If you pulled a lot of the GOOD/EVIL actions out of the equation, or substituted more action for either side. He would seem more like a Neutral good, or Neutral Evil character then a Chaotic good or Chaotic Evil Character.

Lapak
2019-06-14, 07:36 PM
Definitely Chaotic, tending Good. It's call it CG but if a player was running this and calling it CN I would not say they were wrong.