PDA

View Full Version : Index I have been using

denthor
2019-06-12, 03:10 PM
Arcane sight wrong. I thought it was a 3rd level identify spell. Was using it to get schools of magic to figure out belt of strength vs. Belt of dexterity.

It seems odd that identify a 1st level spell does not scale up until the 6th level spell analyze demeanor.

Am I missing something in between?

Altair_the_Vexed
2019-06-13, 07:43 AM
I don't think you have:
If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Spellcraft skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura; DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + one-half caster level for a nonspell effect.) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneSight.htm)

So you can use Spellcraft to find the school.

KillianHawkeye
2019-06-13, 07:08 PM
An item of Strength or an item of Dexterity would both just be transmutation, though, so I don't understand how this helps you? :smallconfused:

denthor
2019-06-13, 07:23 PM
An item of Strength or an item of Dexterity would both just be transmutation, though, so I don't understand how this helps you? :smallconfused:

One was +2 belt the other a +4 belt. One had a higher level caster create it so I knew one was more than the other.

In my game you must consume pearls with the 1st level identify spell to get +2 keen scimatar. That sort of thing. I thought I had found a clever way around it.

I was wrong looks the only goto spell for this is analyze demeanor which is a 6th level divination spell. At least I do not have to put anything on and risk a curse.

I was hoping for something I missed In between guess not

Âmesang
2019-06-14, 12:28 AM
Granted, the Magic Item Compendium and Rules Compendium added that if you beat the School detection DC by 10 or more (so, Spellcraft DC 25 + ½ CL), you can identify properties of a magic item (including means of activation and remaining charges, if any).

EDIT: I should clarify that the ruling was in their description for detect magic, but considering it and arcane sight use the same mechanic for identifying a magic aura, I don't see why arcane sight wouldn't also qualify.

Debatra
2019-06-15, 12:05 PM
Also from the Magic Item Compendium, page 72, is the Artificer's Monocle. It costs 1,500 gp.

Whenever you successfully use your artificer knowledge class feature (ECS 31) to detect an item’s magical aura or you cast detect magic and have at least 5 ranks of Knowledge (arcana), you can spend 1 additional minute studying the item. If you do, you can identify the abilities of that item as if you had cast identify upon it.

Mike Miller
2019-06-15, 12:10 PM
It seems odd that identify a 1st level spell does not scale up until the 6th level spell analyze demeanor.

Sounds like it should be in the ring of the grammarian thread

Crichton
2019-06-15, 12:31 PM
Granted, the Magic Item Compendium and Rules Compendium added that if you beat the School detection DC by 10 or more (so, Spellcraft DC 25 + ½ CL), you can identify properties of a magic item (including means of activation and remaining charges, if any).

EDIT: I should clarify that the ruling was in their description for detect magic, but considering it and arcane sight use the same mechanic for identifying a magic aura, I don't see why arcane sight wouldn't also qualify.

This. A wee bit of effort into Spellcraft, and Identify is obsolete.

The specific rule, for confirmation and clarification:

Spellcraft: A character using the detect magic spell can attempt a Spellcraft check to determine the school of magic associated with the item’s powers. If the character exceeds the DC for this check by 10 or more, the character magically divines the item’s functions, its means of activation, and the number of charges remaining.
A character can also use Spellcraft to identify potions. The DC is 25, the check takes 1 minute, and she cannot retry if she fails.

Or, as noted, if you're willing to drop 1500gp (the price of 15 Identify spells, so not really too bad!), the Artificer's Monocle makes it automatic, so long as you have 5 ranks in Knowledge(Arcana)