PDA

View Full Version : Longsword and Fighting Style - 1Hand or 2Handed

Cikomyr
2019-06-13, 06:33 AM
So this is a thread meant to calculate the comparative statistical advantage of using a longsword with 1 hand with Duellist fighting style vs 2 Hand with Great Weapon Fighter.

1 Hand:
Distribution of 1d8 +2 = average of 4.5 + 2 = 6.5

2 Hands:
Distribution of 1d10, reroll on 1 and 2

So on 1 and 2, we have a standard distribution of 1 to 10, so average of 5.5. - - > 20% * 5.5

3 to 10, it's a standard distribution akin to the 1 handed longsword +2. So average damage 6.5. - - > 80%* 6.5

Total average damage: 20%*5.5 + 80%*6.5 = 6.3 average damage

So a 1 handed longsword, without any feat taken, is better being specialized as a 1 handed weapon. I'd guess the variance is probably lower on the 1 handed too.

Please let me know if my math failed anywhere. Thanks!!

stack
2019-06-13, 06:53 AM
Not sure how useful the comparison is. If you plan to 2-hand exclusively, why are you using a longsword instead of a greatsword?

Willie the Duck
2019-06-13, 06:54 AM
That's the average damage on a non-crit successful hit, but yes, the math is correct.
For the 2H+GWM, you can also calculate it as (5.5+5.5+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10)/10 if that is easier.

Why just the comparative statistical advantage of 1H longsword+Duelist v 2H longsword+GWF? Certainly the decision on which to take is going to depend on what you want to do with your off hand (shield for duelist, being able to spellcast/switch-hit into grappling for GWF, unless you see some other specific opportunity)?

Not sure how useful the comparison is. If you plan to 2-hand exclusively, why are you using a longsword instead of a greatsword?

Presumably not exclusively, although if you aren't even using GWF every round, it seems quite a bit more sensible to pick up defensive fighting style for the +1 AC over 0.8 damage.

Edit: fixed numbers

DevilMcam
2019-06-13, 06:55 AM
Your math are correct so far but you forgot to take into account critical strike.

Each attack has à 95 % chance of dealing the Damage you stated andba 5% chance of dealing either 2d8+2 (average 11) or 2d10 rerolming 1 and 2s (12.6 average)

so base average damage would be 6.5*0.95+ 11*0.05 (6.725) VS 6.3*0,95+12.6*0.05 (6.615)

Then Advantage, brutal critical and extended critical range are also à thing

Cikomyr
2019-06-13, 06:59 AM

My mother is a dex-based Elf Eldritch Knight, and I plan to give her a sunblade-like weapon as her base weapon. So Finesse Longsword is has to be.

That's the average damage on a non-crit successful hit, but yes, the math is correct.
For the 2H+GWM, you can also calculate it as (5.5+5.5+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10)/10 if that is easier.

Why just the comparative statistical advantage of 1H longsword+Duelist v 2H longsword+GWF? Certainly the decision on which to take is going to depend on what you want to do with your off hand (shield for duelist, being able to spellcast/switch-hit into grappling for GWF, unless you see some other specific opportunity)?

Presumably not exclusively, although if you aren't even using GWF every round, it seems quite a bit more sensible to pick up defensive fighting style for the +1 AC over 0.8 damage.

I definetly agree with you that there is quite more to consider ; like shields or feats, in the equation. But I wanted to crunch number v number to make sure I understood it all.