PDA

View Full Version : Rogue w/ Great Weapon Fighting and Sunblade

Cikomyr
2019-06-13, 06:42 AM
So.. While reviewing Great Weapon Fighting to prepare my other post, I came across the following :

When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Please note that it says "roll 1 or 2 on a damage roll". Not the *weapon* damage roll, but *any* damage roll made with a 2Handed or Versatile weapon.

So does it mean a rogue would be allowed to reroll their 1s and 2s on their sneak attacks if he attacked with a Sunblade (versatile, finesse) and somehow got the Fighting Style?

Average sneak attack die damage: 1 to 6 - - > 3.5 average

Average sneak attack die damage on 1-2 rerolls:
33%*3.5
+
3-6 roll average: 4.5. - - > 66%*4.5

Total average damage: 4.16

Thats an increase of 20% for the sneak attack dice alone..

Contrast
2019-06-13, 06:46 AM
Sage Advice compendium:

If you use Great Weapon Fighting with a feature like Divine Smite or a spell like hex, do you get to reroll any 1 or
2 you roll for the extra damage? The Great Weapon Fighting feature—which is shared by fighters and paladins—is
meant to benefit only the damage roll of the weapon used
with the feature. For example, if you use a greatsword with
the feature, you can reroll any 1 or 2 you roll on the weapon’s 2d6. If you’re a paladin and use Divine Smite with the
greatsword, Great Weapon Fighting doesn’t let you reroll a
1 or 2 that you roll for the damage of Divine Smite.

Cikomyr
2019-06-13, 06:47 AM
Ahhh.. Ok. Sweet. So I just missed supplemental material.

Thanks!