PDA

View Full Version : Quicksilver Equipment (and creation feat)

boomwolf
2007-10-06, 04:52 PM
quicksilver items, most adaptable and most creative pieces of equipment you can get. often has the ability to change form, repair itself and provide a healthy amount of trouble for any opponent. great armor for the magic users and the stealthy rouges, great weapons for anyone who seeks high damage output.

Creation Feat:

Craft Quicksilver [Item Creation]

Prerequisite: Craft magical arms and armor, Caster level 9th.

Benefit:
You can create any quicksilver item. Crafting a quicksilver item takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. To craft a quicksilver item, you must spend 1/15 of its base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of its base price.

quicksilver items have the following abiltys:

They self-repair in case they get broken, bent or by any means damaged or destroyed, takes one day and all pieces must be in one container for a repair to happen. if the repair has not taken place in one week, it will not repair any further.
They count as alchemical silver for damage reduction.
They have a quicksilver ability from several options.
All quicksilver weapons are considered exotic. (Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Quicksilver Weaponry.)
Cost to enchant a quicksilver item is 10% higher.
Always counts as masterwork for purpose of enchanting.

Quicksilver weapons:

{table=head]Name|Cost|Size|DMG (S)|DMG (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Ability|Weight|Type
Quicksilver Dagger|2500 gp|Tiny|1d4|1d6|19-20 x2|15 ft.|Blink|1 lb|Piercing or slashing
Quicksilver Shuriken|100 gp (each)|Tiny|1d2|1d4|x4|20 ft.|Blink, Not Self-Repairing|1/4 lb|Piercing
Quicksilver Rapier|5000 gp|Small|1d4|1d6|17-20 x3|-|Weapon Finesse usable|4 lb|Piercing
Quicksilver Longsword|5000 gp|Small|1d6+1|1d8+1|19-20 x2|-|Transform|4 lb|Slashing
Quicksilver Whip (reach)|5000 gp|Small|1d4|1d6|x3|-|Grabbing|4 lb|Slashing
Quicksilver Transformer|15000 gp|Small|1d2|1d3|x3|-|True Transformer|1 lb|Slashing
Quicksilver Smasher (reach)|7000 gp|Medium|2d6|3d6|x2|-|Transform|15 lb|Bludgeoning
[/table]

Abilitys:
Blink-When used as range, it ignores all deflection bonuses to AC.
Transform-The wielder may change the damage type by will, and can use power attack with the weapon even if he doesn't have the feat, the noted damage type it what it is if the wielder does not note another.
Grabbing-Can be used to make a grapple attack on opponents in reach without provoking attack of opportunity. in any other way, it is the same as normal grapple (they can grapple back and all.)
True Transformer-User may change this weapon to have the stats of any other quicksilver weapon by will, and it retains this ability.

Quicksilver Armor: (quicksilver armor has not speed penalty)

{table=head]Name|Cost|Type|AC bonus|Max Dex|Armor check penalty|Arcane spell failure|Ability|Weight
Quicksilver Suit|7500|Light|1|7|-|-|+2 AC vs ranged|10 lb
Quicksilver Scales|10000|Medium|4|5|-1|10%|Full Defense|20 lb
Quicksilver Plate|16000|Heavy|6|2|-4|30%|Full Defense|30 lb
Quicksilver Retaliating Armor|20000|Heavy|5|3|-4|40%|Retaliate|35 lb
[/table]

Abilitys:
+2 AC vs ranged-pretty clear.
Full Defense--once per day, as an instant action, you may choose to let the armor that the full blow from a non-magical attack, thus you take no damage.
Retaliate-Whenever you are hut by a melee attack, the attacker takes 1d4 damage.

Other Quicksilver items:

Quicksilver Rope
this unique rope is a 25 ft. long rope that can be changed into manacles (and back) by the will of the owner as a standard action. has 25 hp.
cost: 1500 gp. Weight: 3lb

Quicksilver Caltrops
These are like normal caltrops except that before the heal DC for these wounds is 25.
Cost: 1500 gp. Weight: 1lb

Quicksilver Lantern
This common style lamp may be change into a hooded or bullseye version (and back) by the will of the owner as a standard action. the quicksilver lantern uses only half as much oil as normal lanterns.
Cost: 2500 gp. Weight: 5lb

Raw Quicksilver Flask
You can throw a flask raw quicksilver as a splash weapon. Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 15 feet. A direct hit deals 1d10 points of acid damage. Every creature within 10 feet of the point where the acid hits takes 1d4 point of acid damage from the splash.
Cost: 3000 gp. Weight: 1lb

sooo...what do you guys think?

Neftren
2007-10-07, 07:35 AM
There already is an item called Quicksilver. I believe it's in Complete Scoundrel, and it applies the properties of Alchemical Silver onto any applicable weapon.

boomwolf
2007-10-07, 07:39 AM
As you can see (if you read all), this also counts as alchemical silver.
This is in fact the same material, its jest new uses of it, solidifying it, shaping it etc. that needs spacial training to deal with quicksilver advance options. (that are listed above)

DanielLC
2007-10-07, 02:52 PM
Isn't quicksilver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_%28element%29) poisonous (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning)?

boomwolf
2007-10-07, 04:24 PM
real world rules don't apply well in DnD.
its quicksilver that is SOLIDIFIED by magic. so no toxic gas. but you should not eat it anyway.
about the mechanic part? and notes?

Neftren
2007-10-07, 11:27 PM
Quicksilver is not poisonous per se. It's lethal when inhaled because it gets caught up in your system and well, you can't breath after that. Same idea as Styrofoam pebbles, if you inhale those.

boomwolf
2007-10-08, 12:09 AM
Quicksilver is not poisonous per se. It's lethal when inhaled because it gets caught up in your system and well, you can't breath after that. Same idea as Styrofoam pebbles, if you inhale those.

by definition, things that do that are a kind of poison.
but thats unrelated.

Kyace
2007-10-08, 03:33 AM
I can see no reason why any fighter or cleric wouldn't buy Quicksilver Plate. Effective +10 bonus to speed, negate 1 attack a day. It is too good.

The Quicksilver Suit could be replaced with Mithral Shirt and save about 4,000 and have +4 AC against everything. (PS: AC against just one or two things is a pain to keep track of. Basically, you've just doubled the number of possible ACs you could have [AC against melee while flatfooted; AC against ranged touch attacks and so on]).

Quicksilver Scales is pricey for armor with low AC but that negate one attack thing is nice. Hmm. Its not clearly overpowered like it's plate brother but makes you weigh your options against other armors, so quite a bit more balanced. For a front liner, it wouldn't be worth the price, but that looks good for someone who doesn't intend to go toe to toe but can wear medium armor, like a cleric, to negate those (hopefully) rare attacks that get pass the front liners. Might be slightly overpowered (esp. when the cleric gets attacked by a dragon who just shrugs it off) but looks sort of ok.

I also can't see any reason short of getting it for free or having nothing else to wear, why anyone would wear Quicksilver Retaliating Armor. Mithral breast plates are nearly (+1 AC worse and doesn't heal itself is all) better in every way and cost 10,800 gp less. 1d4 damage is meaningless at the level you can afford it.

Do the weapons require a different feat each to use or do they all use the same feat?

Ok, the dagger and the shuriken's blink ability is nearly worthless. (you don't normally know when someone has deflection bonuses to AC and spending that much to negate one fairly rare sort of AC is odd...) Both weapons don't likely have enough HP to repair if they were damaged and if you use a dagger as your primary weapon, you likely aren't much less effective without it. They arn't worth the GP costs, let alone the feat cost (many players horde feats like dragons horde gold).

Why make a Quicksilver Rapier that can use weapon finesse (the only crunch reason to use rapiers) then allow them to deal all three types of damage and power attack? Much too good, power attack and weapon finesse shouldn't really ever work on the same weapon, certainly not for free (costs a feat to use a quicksilver rapier but saves a feat on power attack, not to mention the fact that if you have weapon finesse, you likely don't have the str to get power attack in the first place).

Why does the Quicksilver Londsword (I assume a typo of longsword) cost 500 gp more than the rapier and deal 2d3 and 2d4 instead of then the more logical 1d6 and 1d8? Without the rapier to compete against, the longsword is pricey but might be worth it. This is more a flavor weapon than an actual crunch weapon (doing something "at will" means as a standard action unless otherwise stated). Some players dislike the idea of a golf-bag of weapons so a single weapon that covers all three damage types might be worth the feat for them. The GP cost might be a tad high, esp. against the rapier, but ok.

The whip needs some more explaining (what exactly can you do while grappling at range? Can they grapple back?).

The Quicksilver Smasher does on average 10 damage. It weighs 25 lbs!? It has the worse possible critical in the game. A +1 Glaive does on average 9 damage, is 15 pounds lighter, doesn't require a feat, has a 20/x3 crit, and costs less than half of that. Buy a +1 Glaive and a +1 Morning Star and you'll still save money (almost 400 gp) and weigh less.

For the true transformer, the only quicksilver weapon I'd like is the quicksilver rapier and maybe the whip, depending on how the reach grappling works. The quicksilver rapier is currently overpowered (spend a feat on Exotic Weapon Prof. to save a feat on Power Attack and get a weapon you can finesse, power attack with and deals all three damage types with a great crit range). The rest are odd but likely not worth the feat it would take to get them.

I do like the quicksilver rope (purely for flavor reason, but still).

The rest of the items (Quicksilver Caltrops, Lantern and Flask of Raw quicksilver) are ok, pricey but within the range of what magic items can do. I'd personally say that the lantern requires no oil just to be nice, but then it'd still be more a flavor item than crunch one. Caltrops need to be reworded to make sense and a DC 15 or 20 heal save would make more sense than an unarmed attack again your own foot. (Is English not your first language?) The flask is ok, bit pricey but pretty comparable to magic items at that price.

Handy haversack only costs 2,000 gp and pretty much negates the need for much of this (including a good deal of the weapons). Why pay 2,000ish for one item that turns into a second item when I can pay 2,000 and shove all the mundane items I could ever need into the haversack. I like the rope and the lantern for purely flavor reasons, but I'd likely reduce the price for much of this and not require a feat to craft it (The party will likely just pay some random wizard to make it anyway).

When you make items, look at what players can currently buy and compare your items to other items. Compare them in ways other than GP cost. If a heavy armor is better than Full-Plate and doesn't have any draw back other than cost, when players get the money, they will buy it. (Heck, full-plate is a bit overpowered compared to the rest of the heavy armors anyway.) I like your scale armor for exactly that reason, I had to really consider if I'd buy it over a breastplate.

quicksilver items, most adaptable and most creative pieces of equipment you can get. often has the ability to change form, repair itself and provide a healthy amount of trouble for any opponent. great armor for the magic users and the stealthy rouges, great weapons for anyone who seeks high damage output.

Balanced items aren't the best at everything. (Heck, balanced anythings shouldn't be the best at everything *cough*wizarddruidcleric*cough*) If you've homebrewed something balanced and correctly, you could slip it into a 3.5e book without much fuss. If it fits a niche that someone wants to use, they will take it and use it, but if not, it shouldn't try to make itself used. It's hard because homebrewing makes something special to you, but you need to step back and say "This needs to fit into the world as a whole, it shouldn't make the world revolved around it."

boomwolf, I didn't write an essay because I like to hear myself type or because I want to hurt your feelings. You are likely a player that just went "Hey, wouldn't it be really cool if..." and tried something. All homebrewers have a bit of that in them, but they also need a bit of "Some things work. Others don't." You might have to work on something a while to get it balanced. People might say awful things about your homebrew, they aren't saying awful things about you, they are trying to help. I hope you polish these up some more and continue to homebrew.

boomwolf
2007-10-08, 08:45 AM
Tnx for the reply.

Now that i KNOW where i went wrong, i can start working on fixing it.

Improving smasher, reducing rapier and armors power, reduce costs on general items, and stuff...

The grapple with the whip is jest like normal grapple, in any way, execpt your opponent doesn't get an OOP.
Dagger and shurikens have better damage then normal versions, so i gave them a minor ability. it could be really handy actually, most human opponents have rings.
By "at will" i DID mean a standard action, you cant morph stuff in an instant, takes time.

and yes, English is not my first language.

boomwolf
2007-10-08, 02:52 PM
Made edits regarding costs and power level of most items. is it any better now?

also i made sure something you might have overlooked in quicksilver property's will not be overlooked again (bold and underlined)

Neftren
2007-10-08, 03:33 PM
So it'd go:

1100gp

and so on?

boomwolf
2007-10-09, 12:39 AM
yes, and the XP cost will rise with it.