PDA

View Full Version : What Magic Items should I get?

Falcii
2019-06-13, 10:28 AM
We are starting a new camp and my dm (first time 5 player) has offered us either 2 uncommon magic items or 1 rare one. What should I ask for? My only request is that I don't want something that's gonna be a one use, and I'd prefer to not worry too much about damage output. I play utility support as a rule.

I am playing a spore druid 3/drunk monk 3 mark of Passage Human with 20 Dex, +3 to con and Wis and not alot in the other stats.

nickl_2000
2019-06-13, 10:37 AM
Bracers of Defense (r) are the first thing that screams out to me. Having 20 AC is nothing to scoff at.
Staff of the Woodlands (r) would be flat out amazing (and broken) at level 6
Winged Boots (u) and Insignia of the Claws (u) is another, but making a new DM work in 3 dimensions is a little cruel.
Necklace of Prayer Bead (r) would be a big boon for the party overall.

Demonslayer666
2019-06-13, 10:55 AM
My choices, in order:

Uncommon:
Pearl of Power
Goggles of Night
Cloak of Protection
Stone of Good Luck
Broom of Flying
Bag of Holding
Wand of Web

Rare:
Ring of Spell Storing
Cloak of Displacement

Keravath
2019-06-13, 11:40 AM
Take the mobile feat when you level up (since your stats are good already) :) ... makes you even faster ... you can run away when you attack something without taking op attacks ... ignore difficult terrain when dashing ... awesome for monks and transfers to your beast forms if you do any shape changing.

As for magic items ... just some ideas.

*Goggles of the Night (uncommon) - get rid of having to cast darkvision to see in the dark
*Winged Boots (uncommon, attunement) - fly speed is awesome and very useful - especially given your boosted speed as a monk
Broom of flying (uncommon) - fly - no attunement
Gauntlets of Ogre Power (uncommon, attunement) - 19 strength - in case you want to be strong too ..
Immovable Rod (uncommon) - slide it down the back of the bad guys armor, press the button and laugh as they try to move towards you

*Bracers of Defense (rare, attunement) - boosts your unarmored AC by 2 - great for monks
Cloak of Displacement (rare, attunement) - all attacks against you on a turn have disadvantage until you are hit then they are normal (useful if you tend to be in melee - less useful if you skirmish more)
Boots of Speed (rare, attunement) - double your speed - op attacks against you have disadvantage
Belt of Hill Giant strength (rare, attunement) - 21 strength - in case you want to be strong too ..
Helm of Teleportation (rare, attunement) - go anywhere for an action - just be sure to memorize a spot before entering the dungeon :) ... more of a fun quirky item
Mantle of Spell Resistance (rare, attunement) - advantage on saves vs spells - usefulness depends on how many spell casters you run into
*Necklace of Prayer Beads (rare, attunement) - excellent boost to spells available for any cleric/druid
Ring of Spell Storing (rare, attunement) - extra spells and your friends can cast into it too letting you cast things you might otherwise not be able to ... e.g. wizard in the party loads in 5x shield spells ... or a counterspell and 2x shield.
Robe of Eyes (rare, attunement) - very useful vision and enhanced perception and the ability to see invisible and ethereal - but vulnerable to the light cantrip and daylight spells being cast on it or nearby.
Staff of Healing (rare, attunement) - additional healing abilities but as a monk you can also hit things with it as a magic weapon.
*Staff of the Woodlands (rare, attunement) - very druid appropriate, acts as a +2 quarterstaff, casts pass without trace at will and has several possibly useful nature spells

Oddball items -
Daerns instant fortress (rare)
Cube of force (rare, attunement)

The one's marked with a * would probably be my top picks.

----

I'd also suggest that if the DM is new to 5e they might want to hold off on the magic items. 5e tends to be designed around a lower overall level of magic items than previous versions (attunement limits characters to effectively 3 good magic items) ... so starting with 1 or 2 is a significant fraction of the usable magic items that the character may receive over their entire career though they can swap them out by taking an hour to attune to a different item when something better comes along.

Wildarm
2019-06-13, 12:51 PM
We are starting a new camp and my dm (first time 5 player) has offered us either 2 uncommon magic items or 1 rare one. What should I ask for? My only request is that I don't want something that's gonna be a one use, and I'd prefer to not worry too much about damage output. I play utility support as a rule.

I am playing a spore druid 3/drunk monk 3 mark of Passage Human with 20 Dex, +3 to con and Wis and not alot in the other stats.

Ring of Spell Storing would be my choice. That will bring a lot of versatility to your party and a fair amount of additional capabilities to you. Tricks that are fun:

- Everyone in the party can cast Find familiar
- Everyone in the party can cast Find Steed
- Have your new owl familiar attune to the ring. Have potent concentration spells like Haste, Enlarge/Reduce, Bless or Healing Spirit in it - Familiar maintains concentration the spell in combat for you. Make sure it flies someplace safe and hides.
- Ask or pay for a high level Paladin to put Find Greater Steed in it for you. Whole team gets intelligent flying mounts. Or wait for your own pally to hit level 13.
- Get your wizard to cast several shield/absorb elements spells in it. Fantastic on demand defenses.
- Get your warlock to cast Hex or Ranger to cast Hunter's Mark - Brutal damage boost with Monk Flurries

As a Druid, Staff of the Woodlands is pretty broken. You can awaken a beast or tree every day with the staff and it's charmed for 30 days. You and your menagerie will be unstoppable. Make sure the horde eats any who decide they didn't like their treatment after 30 days. You should have no problem finding and charming enough beasts as a druid. Go hunting some T-Rex and be Dino riders or Giant Apes and be Tarzan.