PDA

View Full Version : help wanted: adding systems in subclasses to low-mid complexity base class(warlord)

notXanathar
2019-06-13, 02:03 PM
I have been trying to do a warlord class for a while now, and have been plagued by the problem of wanting to use different ability scores for different styles of player. One who wanted to be inspirational might use charisma, where one who wanted to be strategic would use intelligence. I didn't want to tie this to subclass, as forcing you to favour a stat that you wouldn't use until third level seemed a little unfair. Originally, I just had players choose which they wanted to use, but this was clunky. I have now settled on a system similar to a warlocks invocations, which is nice, as players can mix and match abilities, and decide where they want to focus. my problem now is that I want to have at least one subclass that introduces an entirely new system, for those players that want to play a more complex character. I don't know how to do this elegantly, as creating a secondary system won't work well with the main thing. Please could you give some guidance.

Composer99
2019-06-13, 02:08 PM
I don't think that's enough detail to go on.

Ivellius
2019-06-13, 04:36 PM
I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than necessary, and let me suggest two possible solutions.

First, while keying saving throws / ability uses to a choice of ability score is unusual, it isn't without precedent. The Battlemaster lets a Fighter choose whether to use Strength or Dexterity to determine save DCs, so I don't think letting your warlord choose either Intelligence or Charisma is a bad decision. I can't figure out why it'd be all that clunky, unless you don't have some sort of unifying mechanic on them?

Second, why not just have a / the class option chosen at 1st level? It could be minor, similar to a warlock's pact choice, that does little more than set your primary ability score, or it could just be baked into different class themes (so a tyrant might be Charisma, while a tactician would be Intelligence).

Personally, I'm pretty sure either of those methods will be simpler than what you're trying to do, and I agree that there's not enough detail to help with more specific input on what you're actually asking about.