PDA

View Full Version : Darkvision and Totem Barb Eagle Interation

Setharious
2019-06-13, 03:14 PM
At level six of totem warrior barbarian, you can gain the eagle ability.

"You gain the eyesight of an eagle. You can see up to 1 mile away with no difficulty, able to discern even fine details as though looking at something no more than 100 feet away from you. Additionally, dim light doesn't impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks."

If you have this on a character that has darkvision, does this mean you have no disadvantage in any level of non-magical light? Or because the eagle sight specifies 'dim light doesn't impose disadvantage' and darkvision says 'you see in darkness AS IF if is dim light' ergo, it is still darkness and not dim light, that it actually doesn't work?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, the wording is just tripping me up a bit.

Quietus
2019-06-13, 03:17 PM
There was discussion about this recently, see this thread : http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?587347-One-mile-of-darkvision

However, to your specific question - I interpret it as such. Darkvision turns zero light to dim light, then eagle totem turns that to no disadvantage. You still don't see in colour though.

LudicSavant
2019-06-13, 03:19 PM
If you have this on a character that has darkvision, does this mean you have no disadvantage in any level of non-magical light?

Yes, you have no disadvantage in any level of non-magical light (up to the range of your Darkvision).

Or because the eagle sight specifies 'dim light doesn't impose disadvantage' and darkvision says 'you see in darkness AS IF if is dim light' ergo, it is still darkness and not dim light, that it actually doesn't work?

You see in darkness as if it were dim light. Ergo, you would reference how you would see in dim light. The way you see in dim light is "no disadvantage."

Here's some additional discussion: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/123596/what-s-the-interaction-between-darkvision-and-the-eagle-aspect-of-the-beast

DarkKnightJin
2019-06-13, 04:08 PM
Seeing in non-magical darkness as if it were dim light, and not having Disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks is how I read it too.

Which meant my Fallen Aasimar Totem Barbarian (Bear/Eagle) mage hunter would be able to sneak up on people in the dark without needing any lightsources that would give him away.
And considering he'd Rage and makes your night VERY umhappy if you did catch him..
I feel he made for a good villainous NPC after that side arc was wrapped up.
Added bonus: he pretended to be a normal Human throughout their travels, always lighting a torch when going into dark places, as if he didn't have Darkvision.
The reveal of his true nature was so much fun!