PDA

View Full Version : Ganondorf level dips

Belzyk
2019-06-13, 04:28 PM
So I am building a character modeled after our boy The Dorf. I know i am going with a Hexblade pact of the blade warlock as his primary class. Now where I come into trouble is I am unsure of weather to dip fighter or paladin of conquest. For a single level dip fighter feels like it gives the absolute most. But I could use some opinions on how many of each level I should go and weather you fellow adventurers feel paladin or fighter is best. Also if something other then pact of blade would be better.

My Dorf isnt totally evil hes more selfish and looking out for his desert dwelling clan. Malice hasnt seized his very being yet. Also he will use a mix of warlock magic and melee fighting. (Probably magic more)

Also race. I honestly have no idea what race would befit him the best. I lean to human the most because it's the easiest and I don't know if my Dm will allow refluffing of a race. So I am unsure about Goliath.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-13, 05:03 PM
So I am building a character modeled after our boy The Dorf. I know i am going with a Hexblade pact of the blade warlock as his primary class. Now where I come into trouble is I am unsure of weather to dip fighter or paladin of conquest. For a single level dip fighter feels like it gives the absolute most. But I could use some opinions on how many of each level I should go and weather you fellow adventurers feel paladin or fighter is best. Also if something other then pact of blade would be better.

My Dorf isnt totally evil hes more selfish and looking out for his desert dwelling clan. Malice hasnt seized his very being yet. Also he will use a mix of warlock magic and melee fighting. (Probably magic more)

Also race. I honestly have no idea what race would befit him the best. I lean to human the most because it's the easiest and I don't know if my Dm will allow refluffing of a race. So I am unsure about Goliath.

Ganon is a Gerudo, who are nomads and thieves. I think a half-elf would be fitting.

I think a Hexblade+Conquest would be the way to go for the whole "Ganon" feel. Make Strength 15 and then max out Charisma.

Belzyk
2019-06-13, 05:15 PM
Ganon is a Gerudo, who are nomads and thieves. I think a half-elf would be fitting.

I think a Hexblade+Conquest would be the way to go for the whole "Ganon" feel. Make Strength 15 and then max out Charisma.

How many levels of conquest do you feel would be the best?

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-13, 05:25 PM
How many levels of conquest do you feel would be the best?

That's....tough.

One particular problem with this build is that Eldritch Smite and the Pact of the Blade Extra Attack are both redundant with Divine Smite and Extra Attack from Paladin.

I'd only go Pact of the Blade if you are either dead-set on wielding a two handed weapon, or if you are using Eldritch SMite/Extra Attack from Warlock.

Now, Warlock DOES have other options. Pact of the Chain, for instance, would grant you an excellent scout and henchman, while also being able to get the Invocation to increase the healing put on you.

So, in total, this is what I'd recommend between your options:

Paladin 3-4, Hexblade 16-17, Pact of the Blade
Paladin 7-8, Hexblade 12-13, Pact of the Chain.

You COULD go Paladin 7-8 and still go Pact of the Chain Blade, but it does mean you will want to spend your invocations on more utility effects, like Tomb of Levistus or Mask of Many Faces. You could also go the ol' Darkness+Devil's Sight route here, too.

Belzyk
2019-06-13, 06:18 PM
That's....tough.

One particular problem with this build is that Eldritch Smite and the Pact of the Blade Extra Attack are both redundant with Divine Smite and Extra Attack from Paladin.

I'd only go Pact of the Blade if you are either dead-set on wielding a two handed weapon, or if you are using Eldritch SMite/Extra Attack from Warlock.

Now, Warlock DOES have other options. Pact of the Chain, for instance, would grant you an excellent scout and henchman, while also being able to get the Invocation to increase the healing put on you.

So, in total, this is what I'd recommend between your options:

Paladin 3-4, Hexblade 16-17, Pact of the Blade
Paladin 7-8, Hexblade 12-13, Pact of the Chain.

You COULD go Paladin 7-8 and still go Pact of the Chain, but it does mean you will want to spend your invocations on more utility effects, like Tomb of Levistus or Mask of Many Faces. You could also go the ol' Darkness+Devil's Sight route here, too.

2 handed weapons dont work with hexblade charisma to damage ability. Also my thinking on blade pact is just being able to materialize my weapon lol. Flair man flair.

JNAProductions
2019-06-13, 06:32 PM
2 handed weapons dont work with hexblade charisma to damage ability. Also my thinking on blade pact is just being able to materialize my weapon lol. Flair man flair.

It doesn't... Unless you're a Pact of the Blade Warlock, who has their pact weapon be two-handed.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-06-13, 06:34 PM
Criminal background?
also Gerudo are matriarchal like drow. SO maybe half-drow.

Belzyk
2019-06-13, 06:51 PM
Criminal background?
also Gerudo are matriarchal like drow. SO maybe half-drow.

No they are not. Lol they are Patriarchal every male born is their king. They are cursed and only bear female kids. But as soon as a male is born he is instantly crowned king.

Big difference being matriarchal and only having 1 male child born every 100 or so years.

Galithar
2019-06-13, 06:59 PM
No they are not. Lol they are Patriarchal every male born is their king. They are cursed and only bear female kids. But as soon as a male is born he is instantly crowned king.

Big difference being matriarchal and only having 1 male child born every 100 or so years.

Total tangent, but does that mean that EVERY Gerudo born for that 100 years or so would have the same father? Since there's only the one and he's King... How does he maintain a population AND get anything else done? I'm confused and answering is probably going down a dark hole I'd rather not see the bottom of. So let's just leave this here as food for thought :P

Belzyk
2019-06-13, 07:01 PM
Total tangent, but does that mean that EVERY Gerudo born for that 100 years or so would have the same father? Since there's only the one and he's King... How does he maintain a population AND get anything else done? I'm confused and answering is probably going down a dark hole I'd rather not see the bottom of. So let's just leave this here as food for thought :P

No garudo intermingle with other humans and stuff but they always have a garudo female child. Then once every 100 or so years they have a male garudo that instantly becomes king.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-06-13, 07:02 PM

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot. But in BoTW aren't they Matriarchal?

Belzyk
2019-06-13, 07:05 PM
Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot. But in BoTW aren't they Matriarchal?

Not really. Their king just not born at that time. Well from the new BoTW equal trailer he imprisoned under something so a new king hasnt been born. In a very long time.

Angelalex242
2019-06-14, 10:29 AM
He definitely wants Devil's sight and the Darkness spell. His entire boss battle in Link to the Past relies on this combo. Most Ganons have an energy ball they can throw at you, so eldritch blast (with buffs) is appropriate.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-14, 10:40 AM
Not really. Their king just not born at that time. Well from the new BoTW equal trailer he imprisoned under something so a new king hasnt been born. In a very long time.

Man, the Gerudos have it rough. Not only is their king not born until every 100 years, but probably about 1/3 of all of their kings are Ganon-f****ng-Dorf. And there's this new king that was bad enough to be imprisoned for a ludicrous amount of time, so Ganon's not the only bad Gerudo king to come around.

They really need to fix their stuff.

Hytheter
2019-06-14, 11:00 AM

I wouldn't say Eldritch Smite and Divine Smite are redundant. They can stack, so If anything it just makes for even more fearsome crits - and as someone who has mainly experienced Ganon through Smash, I personally feel it just wouldn't be Ganondorf if you couldn't obliterate all enemies with a single devastating attack. :P

(Sadly Warlock doesn't support unarmed strikes though...)

Most Ganons have an energy ball they can throw at you, so eldritch blast (with buffs) is appropriate.

Unfortunately, there aren't many projectile spells that let the opponent deflect it back at you, for some reason. You know, for the true authentic Ganon boss-fight experience.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-14, 11:26 AM
(Sadly Warlock doesn't support unarmed strikes though...)

Hmm...a new Warlock Invocation:

Your unarmed strikes now deal Force damage, and gain a damage bonus equal to your Charisma bonus.

If you have Pact of the Blade, your hands are considered to be a weapon in regards of the Pact of the Blade feature, and can be reformed into a weapon or back into a hand.

jaappleton
2019-06-14, 11:37 AM
Hmm...a new Warlock Invocation:

Your unarmed strikes now deal Force damage, and gain a damage bonus equal to your Charisma bonus.

If you have Pact of the Blade, your hands are considered to be a weapon in regards of the Pact of the Blade feature, and can be reformed into a weapon or back into a hand.

What should the damage be? 1d6? 1d8? Scale as you level, like a Monk?

I think 1d6 would be fair. 1d8 at lv10.

EDIT: And for the record, his standard Smash attack in Smash Bros is 'Warlock Punch' and sends enemies flying. So a punch attack with Eldritch Smite?

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-14, 11:48 AM
What should the damage be? 1d6? 1d8? Scale as you level, like a Monk?

I think 1d6 would be fair. 1d8 at lv10.

EDIT: And for the record, his standard Smash attack in Smash Bros is 'Warlock Punch' and sends enemies flying. So a punch attack with Eldritch Smite?

I'd probably make it 1d4, no scaling, and include a 5ft knockback.

You don't want it to be overpowered when combined with a Monk, but you definitely want it to be considered.

Mercurias
2019-06-14, 11:57 AM
I like the Hexblade/Conquest Pally combination, but I would personally shoot for Pact of the Tome and use one of my Invocations for Tome of Shadows. Ganondorf was usually played as a skilled magic user.

So I would go:

Paladin 1
Hexblade 3 (Tome of Shadows/Agonizing Blast Invocations)
Paladin x (Oath of Conquest)

As an alternative, for the much older Ganon, it might be well to play him as an EK/Wizard Multiclass. He seems to lose much of his charm in his later years and defaults to acting as a pure tyrant.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-06-14, 06:28 PM

Ok. Thanks.

alchahest
2019-06-14, 07:42 PM
That's....tough.

Ah, but you Can stack the smites, and extra attack for the hexblade is an invocation - if you don't take the invocation there's no redundancy. Use that invocation slot for something else, like the free alter-self to give yourself tusks.

Belzyk
2019-06-15, 05:53 AM
Ah, but you Can stack the smites, and extra attack for the hexblade is an invocation - if you don't take the invocation there's no redundancy. Use that invocation slot for something else, like the free alter-self to give yourself tusks.
Going for The Dorf not Ganon lol do I wont be using tusk. But good idea

jaappleton
2019-06-15, 09:28 AM
What Race is Ganondorf?

I can see him being a Goliath. Makes a lot of sense, but I think Ganondorf would totally have Darkvision. Not a problem if you're Warlock, though. Also, canonically, Goliath can't have beards... Ganondorf rocks some sweet facial hair.