PDA

View Full Version : Deep Gnome, no Daylight Sensitivity?

Setharious
2019-06-13, 08:06 PM
So on the websites I have looked at, Deep Gnomes do not have daylight sensitivity light Drow do. Are the sites I used missing something, or is this true? I don't have a book to double check. If so, why? Why are deep gnomes perfectly fine in the daylight, but Drow are not? Even Duergar have daylight sensitivity, but the gnomes get to prance around like everyone else? I don't get it, but if someone could explain, if this is even true, it would be appreciated.

MaxWilson
2019-06-13, 08:10 PM
So on the websites I have looked at, Deep Gnomes do not have daylight sensitivity light Drow do. Are the sites I used missing something, or is this true? I don't have a book to double check. If so, why? Why are deep gnomes perfectly fine in the daylight, but Drow are not? Even Duergar have daylight sensitivity, but the gnomes get to prance around like everyone else? I don't get it, but if someone could explain, if this is even true, it would be appreciated.

It's true, per Volo's Guide No explanation is given.

Aprender
2019-06-13, 08:39 PM
These made up creatures have a made up condition called daylight sensitivity : Duerger and Drow. Explanations needed: none.

These made up creature does not have a made up condition called daylight sensitivity: gnomes, deep gnomes, halflings, elves, half-elves, dragonborn, half-orcs, tiefling, etc. Explanations needed: none.

It was likley an oversight as the rationales for daylight sensitivity for drow and Duerger would seem to apply. If it bothers you, ask your DM for a change. Otherwise just file it under "one of those things". :)

Keravath
2019-06-13, 09:28 PM
Perhaps drow and duergar completely broke ties with their surface brethren and so they evolved to see better in the dark while the deep gnomes did keep in touch and occasionally inter-marry or made trips to the surface resulting in them being able to see in bright light?

Maybe gnomes are inventive and the light sources they use in the underdark are brighter and more intense than those used by the drow and duergar so that they grow up being able to tolerate more light?

I don't think the source materials give a reason so feel free to use either of those if you like :)

Wizard_Lizard
2019-06-13, 09:52 PM
Maybe it is because svirfblenhim are still GOOD creatures.

Lunali
2019-06-13, 10:51 PM
Drow and Dreugar are essentially cursed races that turned their backs on their gods. Deep Gnomes are just Gnomes that live underground and have to deal with the horrors of the Underdark.

Damon_Tor
2019-06-13, 10:58 PM
gnomes get to prance around

Is that a problem, mungo?

Naanomi
2019-06-14, 12:22 AM
Kobolds have the sensitivity without the 120’ darkvision

LibraryOgre
2019-06-14, 12:35 PM

Yes, but kobolds are also cursed creatures.

Corpsecandle717
2019-06-14, 01:13 PM
Drow and Dreugar are essentially cursed races that turned their backs on their gods. Deep Gnomes are just Gnomes that live underground and have to deal with the horrors of the Underdark.

This. Went down this rabbit hole trying to explain why Drow *should* maintain their daylight sensitivity while Wild-Shaped.

Theodoxus
2019-06-14, 02:03 PM
cuz deep gnomes are perfect! stop trying to mess up my 120' darkvisions sans sensitivity and the happiness that is the Deep Gnome Magic feat as it pairs so so perfectly with abjuration magic.

I mean, why you want my poor gnome to die? Don't we get enough ridicule from the WoW crowd (is WoW still a thing?)

LibraryOgre
2019-06-14, 03:26 PM
cuz deep gnomes are perfect! stop trying to mess up my 120' darkvisions sans sensitivity and the happiness that is the Deep Gnome Magic feat as it pairs so so perfectly with abjuration magic.

I mean, why you want my poor gnome to die? Don't we get enough ridicule from the WoW crowd (is WoW still a thing?)

Really, it's just that drow and duergar are sensitive about their small noses. They know that it makes them less handsome and virile, so they try to drag the gnoble gnome down to their small-schnozzed level.

MagneticKitty
2019-06-14, 03:59 PM

I think it's exactly this. In a sage advice where they explained wildshape doesn't get rid of sunlight sensitivity, they said the trait is not about eye anatomy but a curse. I think the evil deep races are cursed. Deep gnomes are just adapted, not cursed

Lord Vukodlak
2019-06-14, 04:28 PM

They also get pack tactics

Jophiel
2019-06-15, 12:54 PM
Yep. Plus it's a convenient reason why the bad guys can have powerful Underdark societies/cities but not directly threaten the surfaces world. Svirfblenhim aren't going to do that so they don't need the crippling mechanic

Yora
2019-06-15, 01:25 PM
Deep gnomes never had light sensitivity. It's not in either 3rd edition or 2nd.