PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Legendary weapon assistance

KittenMagician
2019-06-14, 01:18 AM
Im creating a legendary weapon for one of the characters in my group. He is a paladin/barbarian. the weapon is a +2 warhammer that allows him to gain and channel the blessings of the gods provided he earns the blessings (with enough blessings it becomes a +3). im just having some trouble with the blessings cause i want to come up with one for every god and allow him to earn them if he wants (he will still have to try) i am using my own pantheon and it has 33 different gods (all alignments, and domains included)

a few examples (names changed to what they are the god of)

graveyards and burial rites: You may cast the Spare the Dying cantrip. Additionally you may cast the Gentle Repose spell at will.

justice and punishment: If you don't have the paladin's divine smite ability you gain the ability to use it twice as if it were a 1st level spell slot used. You regain all uses of this ability after a long rest. Further your divine smite counts any creature with an evil alignment as undead or fiend.

time: You may cast the Haste spell or the Slow spell once. You regain the ability to do so after a long rest.

I have 8 out of 33 blessings done. the gods (what they are the gods of) i dont have so far are:

goodness and righteousness
honorable deaths
light and luck
(guardian of) knowledge
relationships and love
the wild places
glorious combat
enlightenment
riddles and hidden things
magic
secrets
wind and sailors
beauty (thinking at will disguise self)
endings
disaster
revenge
the sky and storms
violence and slaughter
conquest
darkness
nightmares and fear (once a day fear spell?)
lost souls
evil and spite
betrayal
lies and deceit

any ideas are welcome and i may shorten the list as i figure out what i want to do for some of them.

sorry for the long post and thanks for your time.

Mongobear
2019-06-15, 02:42 AM
goodness and righteousness

+1 AC and +1 to all saves vs Evil creatures

honorable deaths

1/LR Compelled Duel

light and luck

+1 to all Ability Checks and the Light Cantrip

(guardian of) knowledge

Advantage on all "Knowledge" checks (Arcana, History, Nature, Religion)

relationships and love

He will find the "perfect partner" and true love.

the wild places

Animal Companion like Beastmaster Ranger

glorious combat

Permanent Heroism effect while in combat

enlightenment

Set Wisdom to 19

riddles and hidden things

Cast any of the Locate ______ spells 1/LR

magic

Magic Initiate feat

secrets

Detect Thoughts at will

wind and sailors

Gain ownership of a boat and crew

beauty (thinking at will disguise self)

Set Charisma to 19

endings

Creatures slain by the hammer can't be res'd and body is disintegrated

disaster

Critical hits deal max damage

revenge

Retaliation class feature from Barbarian Berserker

the sky and storms

Flight speed

violence and slaughter

Gains Extra Attack, stacks with other forms of it

conquest

Ownership of a castle and large area of land around it

darkness

Devil's Sight from Warlock

nightmares and fear (once a day fear spell?)

Immunity to frightened, doesn't need to sleep for Long Rests

lost souls

Speak with Dead at will

evil and spite

+1 AC and +1 to all Saves vs Good creatures

betrayal

Always knows truth from lies. Can forsee if an NPC plans to turn against the weilder

lies and deceit

Immunity to Zone of Truth type effects

My ideas for each of the listed domains

Also, are these all going to be for a single item? That seems really strong unless they're temporary, or limited in how many can be active at one time.

KittenMagician
2019-06-15, 09:12 AM
My ideas for each of the listed domains

Also, are these all going to be for a single item? That seems really strong unless they're temporary, or limited in how many can be active at one time.

technically yes they will all be for one item but each blessing requires a quest or series of quests to earn and only 2 of them (justice and punishment, earth and fertility) are part of the campaign. all the rest are optional and im not going to tell him explicitly that they are out there. also if he has the blessings of any evil gods he will be unable to use/lose the blessings of good gods. so he wont be able to use all 33 at once.

im doing this to help fill out the world and make it a living breathing place.

i actually do like almost all your suggestions and i think i might use at least a portion of them

Mongobear
2019-06-15, 09:42 AM
i actually do like almost all your suggestions and i think i might use at least a portion of them

Glad I could be of service. They were just the first things that popped into my head.

ArgonGlow
2019-06-15, 11:44 AM
You could also consider making an effect for each domain instead of each deity, and then using flavour to then specify those to certain gods. Would make for less but more specialized effects perhaps.
Just an idea :)

Bruniik
2019-06-25, 08:23 PM
You could also consider making an effect for each domain instead of each deity, and then using flavor to then specify those to certain gods. Would make for less but more specialized effects perhaps.
Just an idea :)

That is the direction I would try to go in. By having less features to come up with you allow yourself to put more effort into each one so they feel really good when your player attains them after completing the demands of a diety.