PDA

View Full Version : A homebrew request

Cogwheel
2007-10-06, 08:46 PM
After seeing the works on these boards, I'm quite confident that this is the best place to place my request...

Put simply, I need a homebrewed race. I need either the anthropomorphic template (if there is one), or an anthro penguin race. Yes, I'm entirely serious.

So...anyone up to the job? Thanks in advance!

JackMage666
2007-10-06, 09:18 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53570

I don't like it all tha much, but you might want to look at it. Went up yesterday.

Cogwheel
2007-10-06, 09:27 PM
Nah, that one isn't really any good. Thanks for the link, though - never noticed it.

JackMage666
2007-10-06, 09:38 PM
Anthropomorphic Template can be found in Savage Species, as well... Penguin can be found in Frostburn, I believe. 2 and 2 together....

Anthropomorphic Penguin -
Small Monstrous Humanoid
-4 Str, -4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis
Speed - 30 ft, 40 ft Swim
+1 Natural Armor
Natural Weapon - Bite (1d3)
Retains Hold Breath and Low-Light Vision
Darkvision (60 ft)
Weapon Finesse as a Bonus Feat

Looks to be about +1 LA, though that can possibly be dropped due to poor physical stats.

Cogwheel
2007-10-06, 09:54 PM
how dare you call them monstrous? And not give them a charisma bonus? Penguins are cute!

Jokes aside, thanks a ton jackmage, I'll be using that now... as a PC, that is :smallbiggrin:

JackMage666
2007-10-06, 10:28 PM
Alter it as you see fit, of course. Weapon Finesse, for example, isn't too great, thanks to the Dex Penalty (though it's the same as Str). Increases in physical stats and things like that can make a more fitting PC race. That's just the RAW base.

Cogwheel
2007-10-06, 11:36 PM
Wait... -4dex, +2 dex? Just noticed that...

As for changes, what do you recommend? I don't agree that penguins are quite the clumsy lumps of lard that -4 dex would make them...besides, why a wisdom bonus?

So... I reckon they should, at the very least, be able to deal with cold better (enviroment, not cold damage). Other than that, any ideas?

Oh, and I can deal with LA+1, if that's what's needed, but I believe the current version is definitely +0, and a weak one at that.

reorith
2007-10-06, 11:42 PM
a +2 racial bonus for fortitude saves against taking nonleathal damage from cold enviroments or this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm) once per day as a spell like ability could work without changing the la.

Machete
2007-10-06, 11:45 PM
I'd make it -2 STR and +0 nothing

cut the waddling speed to 20 for balance.

JackMage666
2007-10-06, 11:49 PM
Wait... -4dex, +2 dex? Just noticed that...

As for changes, what do you recommend? I don't agree that penguins are quite the clumsy lumps of lard that -4 dex would make them...besides, why a wisdom bonus?

So... I reckon they should, at the very least, be able to deal with cold better (enviroment, not cold damage). Other than that, any ideas?

Oh, and I can deal with LA+1, if that's what's needed, but I believe the current version is definitely +0, and a weak one at that.

Whoops, it's -4 Dex, +2 CON. My mistake. Fixed now.

In Frostburn, they're Tiny Animals,with 9 Dex natural (-2 for animal). With the size increase, they lose another 2. So, they get -4. They're clumsy at first, but get more clumsy when they get bigger. Change as you desire, it's your game. Naturall, they have 10 Wis, any Anthropomorphic gives them +2. So, +2 racial.

Give them Cold Endurance as a bonus feat (Frostburn), and they'll be set against Cold environments.

They look +0 LA at first glance, but if they go Druid that +2 Wis is all they need. Small size increases AC and to Hit, making them good casters as well. The Swim speed (and rather fast base speed), make them potent in cases as well. It actually is +1 LA, despite it's weakness at 1st glance. Sure, it's no Fighter, or Rogue, but in the hands of a Divine Caster, this guy can be pretty deadly (Particularly the Druid, who get rid of the Physical Stats at 5th level anyway).

Cogwheel
2007-10-07, 12:05 AM
The way I see it, the druid is no justification for an LA - an atlas could make an overpowered druid (particularly with that munchkin-y bonus to knowledge (geography), pah!).

boomwolf
2007-10-07, 12:13 AM
why do they have weapon finesse?
it makes no sense (and quite useless on a -4 dex char...)

Cogwheel
2007-10-07, 12:16 AM
Automatic for animals or WotC stupidity, I'd say.

reorith
2007-10-07, 12:17 AM
they should be able to slide on their bellies at twice their move speed on smooth ice.

edit: it has too be smooth and by being on their bellies, they're prone and cant do much. think of it like a charge or something.

Cogwheel
2007-10-07, 12:53 AM
Dunno, twice sounds like a tad too much, no?

Abjurer
2007-10-07, 07:35 AM
That's still only forty feet. I might even make it more.
Otherwise, just make a double move action, and you're not prone or anything.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-07, 07:48 AM
Okay, one second - in the name of gamers everywhere who believe in game balance, I must quote this.

Iron Law of Character Optimization Number Four - Clerics, Druids, Favored Souls, and any unmentioned divine caster is not and never will be the standard by which you measure how balanced any homebrew class, race, feat, item, prestige class, or unmentioned character option.
Reasoning - If you were playing a Smurf (tiny humanoid -6 strength +4 dex -6 con -2 int, among other racial bonuses and penalties), you could still break those classes to hell without even trying.

Thank you, Wizards of the Coast Forums. Your wisdom is most helpful.

Anxe
2007-10-07, 09:45 AM
You could just use an awakened animal.

JackMage666
2007-10-07, 12:48 PM
The only thing this guy has that might reduce LA is overall -4 to Ability Score - That's it. On the other hand, they have a natural weapon, a bonus feat, natural armor, swim speed, and a fast land speed for thier size. Perhaps it would be more fitting to be 2 HD, +0 LA, but it IS stronger than a plain +0 LA.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-07, 12:54 PM
They have a jank natural weapon. Their armor bonus is tiny. The speed is negligable. They still suffer carrying penalties for small size. Their bonus feat is useless. And they get no bonus on any skills or any real advantage playing any particular class. It's -weak-. L.A. 0 is good.

And if you need a really clinching reason, I'd, statistically speaking, play a -half elf- before one of these.

Triaxx
2007-10-07, 03:12 PM
And if you need a really clinching reason, I'd, statistically speaking, play a -half elf- before one of these.

On that note, I'd play a Dire Rat ahead of a half elf for the same reason. (It's more fun than it sounds actually.)

Without a Charisma penalty, they also make nasty Sorcerors. With that size advantage, combined with the various armor spells, it's like trying swat a fly with a rapier.

Cogwheel
2007-10-07, 06:10 PM
So, I'm not the only one thinking they're weak? As things stand, it's like saying kobolds get natural armour, a skill bonus, and a natural weapon, so they deserve an LA.

Yes, this is my inner powergamer speaking, but as someone on these boards said, "you can't roleplay when you're dead".

honestly, I might keep it as-is but nix the dexterity penalty. After all, penguins are slightly clumsy on land (base land speed of 20 when not sliding, I guess), but they definitely aren't into Baron Klutzmeister territory, either.