PDA

View Full Version : Not really an issue, but rather a board question

farothel
2019-06-14, 11:47 AM
Not sure if it belongs here, but I was wondering if there was a way to easily copy all the posts (including the spoilers opened) of a single thread. The reason I'm asking is that we just finished part one of an PbP adventure and I would like to keep it. I've noticed that board threads tend to dissapear after a while and I want to be able to reference back to this one if needed. I thought about just selecting the text and copying it into a word document, but it also copies the avatars and all that information, taking forever to remove it and just keep the stuff I need.

LibraryOgre
2019-06-14, 12:23 PM
Take a look under "Thread Tools" in the upper right (below the yellow bar that exhorts you to read the forum rules). You should be able to get a printable version that way.

HOWEVER, also note that we SELDOM disappear threads, aside from SPAM or ones that have been otherwise gotten too broken to work. What MAY be happening is that Thread Display options default to 45 days; if you change it to longer, you will be able to see the older threads (but don't post in them!)

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-06-14, 12:48 PM
Take a look under "Thread Tools" in the upper right (below the yellow bar that exhorts you to read the forum rules). You should be able to get a printable version that way.

(Mark, AFAICR, the printable version has issues with spoilers - it doesn't open them, nor allow them to be opened; it's a known issue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22877173&postcount=2))

Inaccessible text

Grey Wolf

Cicciograna
2019-06-14, 02:26 PM
I'd like to suggest the Archive of the forum. At the bottom of the website there's a banner with a link to it.

Just as an example, this is the link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-590331.html) to this specific thread - and as you can see it shows the contents of the spoiler tags as normal text.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-06-14, 02:30 PM
I'd like to suggest the Archive of the forum. At the bottom of the website there's a banner with a link to it.

Just as an example, this is the link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-590331.html) to this specific thread - and as you can see it shows the contents of the spoiler tags as normal text.

Nice, did not know about it. Unfortunately, while it works for spoilers by removing the bbcode, the same process breaks quotes, such that it's hard to tell who said what, and who is instead quoting what someone else said.

It also still retains much of "the avatars and all that information" (which I'm taking to mean time of posting, and the like).

Still, thank you for pointing this out.

Grey Wolf

farothel
2019-06-14, 02:37 PM
The archive looks quite nice. The amount of extra information I would have to remove is a lot less, so that would help. The only problem would be searching for the right thread, but the search button will help me there I guess.

Also I thought that the threads did got removed. Thanks for pointing it out that they don't.

Roland St. Jude
2019-06-14, 03:37 PM

HOWEVER, also note that we SELDOM disappear threads, aside from SPAM or ones that have been otherwise gotten too broken to work. What MAY be happening is that Thread Display options default to 45 days; if you change it to longer, you will be able to see the older threads (but don't post in them!) This is generally true, but everyone should keep an eye on the thread expiry time listed in the descriptions of some forums (like OOC, Finding Players, and Message Board Games, for example).

Cicciograna
2019-06-14, 04:41 PM
The archive looks quite nice. The amount of extra information I would have to remove is a lot less, so that would help. The only problem would be searching for the right thread, but the search button will help me there I guess.

It is actually really easy if you are willing to fiddle with the page URL.
Thread on the regular forum have the form:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?XXXXXX-[thread_title]

where XXXXXX is the thread number. Archived threads have URLs in the form:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-XXXXXX.html

Simply copy the XXXXXX from the thread of your interest, and paste it in the archive URL.

Bohandas
2019-07-15, 11:55 AM

HOWEVER, also note that we SELDOM disappear threads, aside from SPAM or ones that have been otherwise gotten too broken to work. What MAY be happening is that Thread Display options default to 45 days; if you change it to longer, you will be able to see the older threads (but don't post in them!)

It's not working for me. When I open "Show Printable Version" it just snows me the same page in a different format; it doesn't show all the posts in the thread

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-07-15, 11:59 AM
It's not working for me. When I open "Show Printable Version" it just snows me the same page in a different format; it doesn't show all the posts in the thread

It's not supposed to. It's supposed to show the thread in a simplified way (stripping out most of the code) that facilitates printing or indeed copy-pasting it, as per the OP's requirements.

Grey Wolf

Bohandas
2019-07-15, 03:16 PM
The OP asked about copying ALL the posts of a thread though.

In my own personal experience, having to go through page by page is the biggest time sink when trying to save an entire thread.