PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable reward for presenting the head/ear/holy symbol of an orc bandit as bounty?

MonkeySage
2019-06-14, 01:20 PM
My players work for a mercenary company employed by a local duke, and were recently given a mission by their captain to hunt down and slay an orc bandit leader who's been terrorizing travelers. As proof of the deed, they're going to take his holy symbol of Gruumsh (or my setting's equivalent of Gruumsh anyway) back to the captain- it's distinct enough, since their mark proudly displays it.

My players are level 4.

I'm trying to decide how much gold they should get for turning in this minor bounty.

Oh! This is for pathfinder, not 3.5, if that matters.

tyckspoon
2019-06-14, 01:32 PM
As much as the recommended treasure reward for an encounter of a CR equal to the target bandit (this is basically always the answer in D&D 3.5, incidentally. One way or another if the players complete a task, the system says they should get a reward worth whatever an encounter with something of the appropriate CR is worth.) The actual payment for the job might be higher, but the players aren't getting employed for it directly, so any extra money is paid to the mercenary group's coffers for 'administrative fees' or something.

Alternately, the players are basically working on commission: The bounty gets paid to the mercenary group, with the understanding that the players have looting rights, so they can claim whatever valuables the orc bandits have. Or there's a lesser bounty on orc bandits in general that they can claim for themselves, the specific contract with the mercenary company was just for the leader. Lots of ways to work it out so the players get the amount of money you want them to have.