PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with a Last Harvest Festival?

MonkeySage
2019-06-14, 03:10 PM
I'm working on the games:
The Gauntlet's Easy, basically just a series of non-lethal traps that the player needs to evade.
21 is also easy, and Roll20 can deal cards.
Battle of the Bards... I want to figure out how many bards I should include to challenge the one kobold bard in the party - he's level 4. So far I have 3, none higher than 4th level, a Human singer, a Dwarven flute Player, and an Elven lyre player.

The Fighting Arena is the most complicated: I want to come up with at least 12 distinct fighters with varying degrees of difficulty and different abilities. I need to decide if weapons should be allowed or not- this is a big city with several temples, and the clerics are offering free healing to the fighters.

And I'd like something to challenge the party's Warlock and Gunslinger...

LibraryOgre
2019-06-14, 03:28 PM
Well, a shooting range seems the obvious one for both... an array of quick-popping targets that need to be taken down in order to score points.

MonkeySage
2019-06-14, 05:05 PM
• The Gauntlet is a labyrinth of non-lethal traps which must be avoided- the entry fee is 1gp, the reward is 10gp
• 21 is 21, Starting bet is 2gp
• Shooting Range, player is given a crossbow with 10 bolts, and earns 2gp for every target they hit- entry fee is 1gp
• Battle of the Bards-
- Entry fee is 10gp, reward is 50gp
- Lady Shahla the Soft-Spoken Pavi, Perform (sing) = 12, Fascinate DC 14
- Taick Brightmaul, Perform (woodwind) = 10, Fascinate DC 13
- Lennor Lightstring, Perform (string)= 14, Fascinate DC 16
• Fighting Arena Rules-
1. 10gp Entrance Fee
2. No Weapons, No Magic
3. No Killing
4. Victory Conditions: Knock Out, Giving Up
5. Reward for victory: 200gp

Excession
2019-06-16, 05:10 PM
Aren't these carnival games traditionally rigged in some way? They want something that looks easy enough, but most people can't win, so that they make money on it.

The crossbow sights are off, if it has them at all, and the bolts don't fire straight. To win you've got to learn which way each bolt bends and carefully watch the which order they get loaded into the repeating crossbow.
"Defeat Bob 'The Ogre' Smith in hand to hand combat to win 10gp". Bob is literally an ogre, with a couple of class levels. Good luck.
One of the bards is working with the organiser, and is a seasoned professional, but a drunk, and this will keep him in booze for a month. To win, get him drinking with Bob the night before.
The gauntlet is just really hard in the final section, with hidden traps and such. The crowd gets the fun of watching competitors wipe out, probably over a pond. Or throw in a free pint of beer for each competitor, drunk beforehand of course.