PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Some Uncommon Multiclasses

Luminios
2019-06-14, 04:27 PM
Hey, I am in the process of making a character for a oneshots+hub style game that starts at first level. (We have a bunch of DMs and 30 players or so)

We rolled stats and I got lucky : 17 17 16 15 14 11

Anyways I have spent more than a week constantly thinking about what I could play and have come up with some rather ... unusual combinations, and would like to hear some opinions on them from a viablity standpoint - that being said I would be more than happy for suggestions too. (All official sources are allowed, even UA, though if there are multiple variants only the most recent one)

Without further stalling:

The first combination I was thinking about would be a Revised Ranger from 1 to 8 taking the Gloomstalker subclass. Any levels beyond that will go into Wizard, probably War Magic.

The rationale behind this build is that RR and Gloomstalker are both pretty frontloaded while still giving half spell slot progression once I go Wizard. Between Gloomstalker giving proficiency in Wis saves and Resilient (Con) the saves are pretty good, especially considering Arcane Deflection. Dex and Int would be the main stats, but Con and Wis can still be pretty high.

Feats would be Elvish Accuracy, Sharpshooter, Resilient (Con), ASI to get INT 20 and one free feat.

The second combination I thought about is Paladin to level 6, probably Oath of Devotion or Oath of the Ancients, then 8 levels into Revised Ranger Beast Conclave, 2 more on Paladin and the rest Sorcerer.

Here the thought was that between the Saving Throw Aura, Proficiency on all saves, and advantage on them while you can be seen by it make for quite a resilient Animal Companion, especially if you add barding. The 5th level feature of the RRangers Beat Conclave also stacks with Extra Attack, which is nice. Main stats would be Str and Cha, but Con would also be pretty high.

Feats would be Heavy Armor Master, ASI to get CHA 20, Resilient (Con), Great Weapon Master and one free feat.

The third combination is actually quite similar to the second one. Paladin of any Oath to 6, then 4 levels of RRanger Horizon Walker, then 6 more levels of Paladin and at the end some Sorcerer.

Planar Warrior should turn one of your Smites to Force damage. Maybe getting one level of Sorcerer early to get the SCAG cantrips would be fun to make more use of that. That being said I am not entirely sure whether that is actually as good as it sounds for Radiant damage. This would also be Str and Cha for the most part, with the feats being the same as for the second build.

So, what do you think ... are those ideas actually decent or do they fall behind too much when compared to just playing one class straight. I feel like doing that would be kind of a waste of the great roll, but as I said, I'd be happy to hear suggestions.

---

Also, this is my first post here, I hope I didn't do anything that's frowned upon.

sambojin
2019-06-14, 10:12 PM
If you don't mind being grossly overpowered, absolutely any full caster and a 2lvl dip of Lore Master Wizard from the UA is always good.

Change of damage type keeps lots of spells relevant forever.

Change of save type 1/short rest can give your best lockdown spells about 1-5 extra pseudo-DC, making them insane.

I'd go something like Lore Master 2/Land Druid X. That would be brutal. Maybe even tick it up to Lore 3 if you wanted a bit more spell slot recharge and ritual goodness.

The dip can also be played not as a powergaming crutch, but as a roleplaying one too. Want to go lightning master, or necro-blaster? But with a different main class than what wizard could give you? Lore Wizard has you covered for tonnes of character concepts.

It's a pity that it's so good that most tables won't allow it. Especially if you just go Lore to 20. They keep getting better than just the two level dip gives you, but even that is amazing in play for very little cost. If only it wasn't "make a spell" at 2nd, "make a better spell" at 6th, then "always have the correct spell" at 10th, then "screw it, have spell-wish early" at 14th. The "make a spell" thing would have been good enough, without a single extra class feature. Which can make it a good dip, if played thematically.

Benny89
2019-06-15, 09:13 AM
A very good uncommon Multiclass is (when you roll stats to handle MADness of it) Circle of Shepherd Druid/Paladin with PAM.

So you take Variant Human and go for 15 STR, 18 CON, 16 DEX, 11 INT, 18 WIS and 14 CHA.

Go straight for 6 levels of Shepherd for his huge buff to summoned allies and then 2 levels of Paladin. Or start with 1 level of Paladin for heavy armor, go 6 Druid and then 2nd level of Paladin.

Anyway, you start as Vuman, take PAM. On level 4 take WarCaster.

Use Conjure Animals to summon wolfs, use Shelligeth to attack with WIS. Use Spear + Shield. My DM ruled that shelligeth makes 1d4 PAM attack into 1d8, so just ask your DM how if he agrees (I know Sage RAI says otherwise but we don't care).

So we have 2 attacks for 1d8 + 4, magical, we have Smites, we have a lot of Summons under our control that deal magic damage, attack with advantage, prone targets (so you attack with advantage) or restrain them (Cons. Snakes or Giant Octopuses etc.). We have our Spirits that can buff/heal our allies too. We have heavy armor (RAW doesn't have any restrictions of Druid wearing it, it just says druids don't wear metal armor but your Druid may disagree with that, no?), shield and thanks to shelligeth we attack with WIS. On level 10 take +2 WIS and then on level 14 you can either go for GWM and use Glaive or maybe for Mounted Combatant and ride one of your summons into battle? A lot of good options.

I call him Guardian Druid.

It's fun multiclass to play. You have a power of Shep Druid + Power of Paladin Smites.

BlueHydra
2019-06-15, 05:35 PM
PAM? Does the this forum have a glossary?

noob
2019-06-15, 05:41 PM
PAM? Does the this forum have a glossary?

PAm means Power of the Annihilating Missile.
No it means Pole arm mastery sadly.
It is a feat that allows to hit faster with a polearm and a polearm can totally be a huge wooden stick and those are awesome weapon due to Pole arm mastery and the magic of versatility.
So people often goes with a wooden stick and annihilate people with their mastery of polearms.
That is dnd 5e in a nutshell.
Imagine if roy from oots decided after seeing the stick used for naming the team "I am going to use it" and proceed to kill xykon with it.
I guess it is all part of a conspiracy to make cosplaying as a dnd character easier.

nickl_2000
2019-06-15, 06:20 PM
Revised ranger gloom stalker 5, war wizard X. You will always be able to go first in combat with the bonuses you get from both classes.

You have 2 attacks and crazy utility too.

Aett_Thorn
2019-06-15, 06:21 PM
Be a Paladin/Wizard. You don’t see those too often, and have the obvious synergies of a full caster plus Smiting, but is also much more fun. Make them an Enchanter to really play off of the Charisma of the Paladin.

Or a Monk/Bladesinger Wizard to be totally unhittable.

Spectrulus
2019-06-16, 12:34 AM
My personal favorite MAD class is a zealot barbarian/celestial warlock. The flavor is solid.

Only need 13 CHA, as will likely be casting very few spells, but you get this fun interaction where you can use cantrips on far targets, when in melee can rage, and while raging can still use your bonus action heals as they are not spells. After fights, burn your spell slot(s) to patch up allies, then continue.

Play a tank support with no worry about concentration saves to help out allies.

Other barbarian subclasses could work, and even going Druid circle of Dreams leads to a similar fun playstyle.

Luminios
2019-06-16, 07:11 AM
The first combination I was thinking about would be a Revised Ranger from 1 to 8 taking the Gloomstalker subclass. Any levels beyond that will go into Wizard, probably War Magic.

The rationale behind this build is that RR and Gloomstalker are both pretty frontloaded while still giving half spell slot progression once I go Wizard. Between Gloomstalker giving proficiency in Wis saves and Resilient (Con) the saves are pretty good, especially considering Arcane Deflection. Dex and Int would be the main stats, but Con and Wis can still be pretty high.

Feats would be Elvish Accuracy, Sharpshooter, Resilient (Con), ASI to get INT 20 and one free feat.

Revised ranger gloom stalker 5, war wizard X. You will always be able to go first in combat with the bonuses you get from both classes.

You have 2 attacks and crazy utility too.

Why would you only go to 5 over 8 though? 6 gives you Greater Favored Enemy, 7 gives you proficiency in Wisdom saving throws, and 8 gives you an ASI.
You lose the 14th level War Magic feature, and the 9th level spell slot, but neither is *that* important IMO.

nickl_2000
2019-06-16, 08:08 AM
Why would you only go to 5 over 8 though? 6 gives you Greater Favored Enemy, 7 gives you proficiency in Wisdom saving throws, and 8 gives you an ASI.
You lose the 14th level War Magic feature, and the 9th level spell slot, but neither is *that* important IMO.

Wow, that was pretty bad in my reading of your original posting since you basically said that. 5 is a solid breakpoint for Rangers where you get 2 attacks. So, if you are wanting the war wizard goodies it a nice place to move to another class. That being said, there is no reason not to go 8/12 if that is of interest to you.

Wildarm
2019-06-16, 08:10 AM

Might as well go 9 for 3rd level spells. 6 is worth taking for sure though. Advantage on saves vs fiends 6/14 is a good split for RR multiclass. Greater favoured enemy is fantastic.