PDA

View Full Version : Influencing competitions "Subtly"

1Pirate
2019-06-14, 07:59 PM
So I had a thread a while back about helping a barbarian defeat another barbarian in a one-on-one match where obvious use of magic would be frowned upon.

That got me thinking about making a controlling sorcerer built with buffs/debuffs geared towards rigging fights or other sorts of tournaments. Sort of have them envisioned as a fixer for hire.

Still with Divine Soul to pick up some cleric spells. The main spells I'm thinking would be:

Bless
Enhance Ability
Bane
Phantasmal Force
Sanctuary

I'm not quite sure about others, though something like Dimension Door seems like a good one to have in case they get caught. I'm thinking they'd also need some way to determine the security level of a venue(figuring out if there are other spellcasters monitoring the fight, gauging how well the crowd can recognize spells, or if there are wards to detect or counter magic use).

Subtle is a mandatory choice for meta-magic, but I'm not sure what else.

Also not sure how to handle level progression.

Edit: Gerk, forgot about the one meta at a time rule. Been using Empower too much lately.

Keravath
2019-06-14, 09:52 PM
So I had a thread a while back about helping a barbarian defeat another barbarian in a one-on-one match where obvious use of magic would be frowned upon.

That got me thinking about making a controlling sorcerer built with buffs/debuffs geared towards rigging fights or other sorts of tournaments. Sort of have them envisioned as a fixer for hire.

Still with Divine Soul to pick up some cleric spells. The main spells I'm thinking would be:

Bless
Enhance Ability
Bane
Phantasmal Force
Sanctuary

I'm not quite sure about others, though something like Dimension Door seems like a good one to have in case they get caught. I'm thinking they'd also need some way to determine the security level of a venue(figuring out if there are other spellcasters monitoring the fight, gauging how well the crowd can recognize spells, or if there are wards to detect or counter magic use).

Subtle is a mandatory choice for meta-magic, and I was thinking Distant would be the other good one(would let them be able to cast Touch spells while staying ringside).

Also not sure how to handle level progression.

One problem is that you can't use both Subtle and Distant on the same spell casting and if you cast from ring side you would probably want both.

Galithar
2019-06-14, 10:01 PM
One problem is that you can't use both Subtle and Distant on the same spell casting and if you cast from ring side you would probably want both.

Wish to be able to use two metamagics on a spell :P

But I agree distant won't be useful because subtle is mandatory on everything and you can't do both.